BT Home Hub

Old June 11th 08, 07:34 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Jack Ouzzi

Default BT Home Hub

Just moved home and unfortunately BT seems one of the economical ways
to manage my phone and broadband package ... not a HUGE BT fan but
there you go.

My BT Home Hub duly arrived but was I suprised to see only WEP 64 bit
security, and the usual standard Admin - Password (or whatever) to
access the router - took one look at the spec and put it all back in
the box - not sure if you can change the internal router access
details - did not go any further!! Using my Linksys wireless with it's
WPA PSK security .... been on for a year and never let me down .....
will stick the BT hub on ebay - or the recycle wheelie bin!!

Suprised the security is not MUCH tighter from BT ... hey ho!!

Jack
Old June 11th 08, 11:04 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
LR

Jack Ouzzi wrote:
Just moved home and unfortunately BT seems one of the economical ways
to manage my phone and broadband package ... not a HUGE BT fan but
there you go.

My BT Home Hub duly arrived but was I suprised to see only WEP 64 bit
security, and the usual standard Admin - Password (or whatever) to
access the router - took one look at the spec and put it all back in
the box - not sure if you can change the internal router access
details - did not go any further!! Using my Linksys wireless with it's
WPA PSK security .... been on for a year and never let me down .....
will stick the BT hub on ebay - or the recycle wheelie bin!!

Suprised the security is not MUCH tighter from BT ... hey ho!!

Jack

The HomeHub from BT has done WPA2 for ages and the "admin" password was
changed with firmware 6.2.2.6.E.
http://bt.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/bt.cfg/php/enduser/cci/bt_popup_article.php?p_sid=n6FVy_5j&p_faqid=9377
Old June 12th 08, 07:36 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Al Reeve

"LR" wrote in message
news
Jack Ouzzi wrote:
[...]

From the bt.broadband.announce ng
"
BT Home Hub: Upgrading your Wireless Security
Your BT Home Hub already provides a basic level of wireless security
straight out of the box. This allows you to get set up as quickly and easily
as possible with a basic level of protection. However this basic WEP
protection is an older security method and has proven vulnerable to
dedicated computer hackers who could try to use your BT Home Hub's wireless
connection to monitor your broadband connection or access your computer. We
recommend that once you've set up your broadband connection you should
change your wireless security to WPA and create a new wireless key rather
than using the Hub's default key. To find out more on how to upgrade your
Hub's security please go to: http://www.bt.com/help/hub."

Old June 12th 08, 11:03 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Jack Ouzzi

On 11 Jun, 11:04, LR wrote:
Jack Ouzzi wrote:
[...]

Obviously not updated the literature then!! OR they have sent me an
old box, I will stick with my Linksys - better the devil you know!!

Thanks for the replies anyway folks ...

Jack
Old June 12th 08, 02:19 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
LR

Jack Ouzzi wrote:
On 11 Jun, 11:04, LR wrote:
Jack Ouzzi wrote:
[...]

What you may find useful is that BT has a newsserver
news.btinternet.com and it also has newsgroups specific to BT which ,
I think, can only be accessed via their newsserver e.g.

bt.broadband.support
bt.internet.users.broadband.technical