BT offers to 'speed up broadband'

Old June 11th 08, 02:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Grant

Default BT offers to 'speed up broadband'

A service launched by BT which offers to improve broadband speeds or "your
money back" has been branded expensive.

As part of its Home IT Support service, BT has pledged to improve broadband
speeds by at least 0.5Mbps (megabits per second).

But with a price tag of £90, some industry watchers suggest users find
alternative ways of upping speeds.

[...]

BT Wholesale is about to launch a product, known as an iPlate, which it said
can dramatically improve broadband speeds.

The iPlate- expected to sell for around £10 - cuts out electrical
interference from other household objects, including TVs and set-top boxes,
and, according to BT tests, can improve broadband speed by an average of
1.5Mbps.

[...]

The boxes are fitted into the master socket.

Old June 11th 08, 03:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark

On Wed, 11 Jun 2008 14:42:41 +0100, "Grant" wrote:

A service launched by BT which offers to improve broadband speeds or "your
money back" has been branded expensive.

As part of its Home IT Support service, BT has pledged to improve broadband
speeds by at least 0.5Mbps (megabits per second).

But with a price tag of £90, some industry watchers suggest users find
alternative ways of upping speeds.

[...]

BT Wholesale is about to launch a product, known as an iPlate, which it said
can dramatically improve broadband speeds.

The iPlate- expected to sell for around £10 - cuts out electrical
interference from other household objects, including TVs and set-top boxes,
and, according to BT tests, can improve broadband speed by an average of
1.5Mbps.

"iPlate" --- sounds like Apple's attempt to enter the catering
business.

[...]

The boxes are fitted into the master socket.

I had a good laugh at the advice quoted in the BBC article:

"BT has raised a genuine issue about speed although it is fairly easy
for people to tackle themselves by identifying the master socket,
plugging the modem into it and using wi-fi," he said.
[following on from the advice to relocate modems to near the master
socket to improve performance]

--
(\__/) M.
See http://improve-usenet.org

Old June 11th 08, 06:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris Davies

Grant wrote:

BT has pledged to improve broadband speeds by at least 0.5Mbps (megabits
per second).

But...

according to BT tests, [it] can improve broadband speed by an average
of 1.5Mbps.

And also,

With a price tag of £90 [...]

contrasted with...

The iPlate- expected to sell for around £10 [...]

Am I missing something somewhere?

Puzzled,
Chris
Old June 11th 08, 07:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PeterC

On Wed, 11 Jun 2008 18:39:14 +0100, Chris Davies wrote:

Grant wrote:

BT has pledged to improve broadband speeds by at least 0.5Mbps (megabits
per second).

But...

according to BT tests, [it] can improve broadband speed by an average
of 1.5Mbps.

And also,

With a price tag of £90 [...]

contrasted with...

The iPlate- expected to sell for around £10 [...]

Am I missing something somewhere?

Puzzled,
Chris

Yes - BT's charging 90 quid to do what it won't do if we or ISPs ask for
it.
All those 'not our fault, guv' excuses from BT will now make BT yet more
money and, as BT can fix 'em, will be shown as BT's responsibility.

I'm tempted to say that I'd pay £9 0for 500k increase once BT has got my
line up to 8M, then once the line's reached 8M, say a measly half meg ain't
worth having!
--
Peter.
It's not rocket science, you know.
Old June 11th 08, 07:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Klunk

On Wed, 11 Jun 2008 18:39:14 +0100, Chris Davies passed an empty day by
writing:

Grant wrote:

BT has pledged to improve broadband speeds by at least 0.5Mbps
(megabits per second).

But...

according to BT tests, [it] can improve broadband speed by an average
of 1.5Mbps.

And also,

With a price tag of £90 [...]

contrasted with...

The iPlate- expected to sell for around £10 [...]

Am I missing something somewhere?

Puzzled,
Chris

Nope, that is normal BT Math - the next step will be to transfer 151 to a
£1 a minute premium rate number.
Old June 11th 08, 08:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Juan Kerr

On Jun 11, 6:39*pm, Chris Davies wrote:

Am I missing something somewhere?

Puzzled,

If this is the same BT who inflicted BTOpenWorld on the British public
then no, you're not missing a thing.

A monkey is a monkey, irrespective of how many name changes it
undergoes.

Old June 11th 08, 11:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark McIntyre

Grant wrote:
As part of its Home IT Support service, BT has pledged to improve broadband
speeds by at least 0.5Mbps (megabits per second).

I had a bloke offer to tarmac my drive on a similar basis....

I advised him on how to fasten strings together too.

BT Wholesale is about to launch a product, known as an iPlate, which it said
can dramatically improve broadband speeds.

Ooo look mama, snake oil.

The iPlate- expected to sell for around £10 - cuts out electrical
interference from other household objects,

That would be a tinfoil hat then.
Old June 12th 08, 12:22 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kráftéé

Mark McIntyre wrote:
Grant wrote:
As part of its Home IT Support service, BT has pledged to improve
broadband speeds by at least 0.5Mbps (megabits per second).

I had a bloke offer to tarmac my drive on a similar basis....

I advised him on how to fasten strings together too.

BT Wholesale is about to launch a product, known as an iPlate,
which it said can dramatically improve broadband speeds.

Ooo look mama, snake oil.

The iPlate- expected to sell for around £10 - cuts out electrical
interference from other household objects,

That would be a tinfoil hat then.

If anything it will be a new 'improved' faceplate, which if the truth be
known will be no worse or no better than the ones they've got now.

Old June 12th 08, 01:01 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns

On 12/06/2008 00:22, kraftee wrote:

Mark McIntyre wrote:

Grant wrote:

The iPlate- expected to sell for around £10 - cuts out electrical
interference from other household objects,

That would be a tinfoil hat then.

If anything it will be a new 'improved' faceplate, which if the truth be
known will be no worse or no better than the ones they've got now.

It's also known as the interstitial plate and I gather that "all" it
does is disconnect the bell wire, so none of the wiring is unbalanced.
Old June 12th 08, 01:59 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin²

What I need is for BT to fix the lousy 3.9km LINE to the exchange !
I can get 2.8Mb/s synch (6db SNR) on a good day, but every few days it
flakes out, the STUPID DLM ratchets my SNR to min 12dB and won't let it go
back down !
Can I band up with few of my neighbours, pay them £90 and get it fixed ?
Regards,
Martin