ADSL ADSL2/2+ modem compatibility

Old June 12th 08, 10:20 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Grumps

Default ADSL ADSL2/2+ modem compatibility

Hello

I'll ask this question here as the responses are typically far quicker than
my ISP's support.

I'm signed up for an 8meg ADSL package, but, as per a recent post of mine,
I'm now almost certainly on their LLU equipment.
Question is, if I sign up for an ADSL2/2+ package, will it still work,
albeit slower, with my crappy old modem?

Old June 12th 08, 11:05 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

"Grumps" wrote in message
Hello

I'll ask this question here as the responses are typically far quicker
than my ISP's support.

I'm signed up for an 8meg ADSL package, but, as per a recent post of mine,
I'm now almost certainly on their LLU equipment.
Question is, if I sign up for an ADSL2/2+ package, will it still work,
albeit slower, with my crappy old modem?

Probably not.
Who doesn't supply a router when you sign up to ADSL2+?

Old June 12th 08, 11:28 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ivor Jones

In ,
[email protected] typed, for some strange,
unexplained reason:
: "Grumps" wrote in message
: ...
: Hello
:
: I'll ask this question here as the responses are typically far
: quicker than my ISP's support.
:
: I'm signed up for an 8meg ADSL package, but, as per a recent post
: of mine, I'm now almost certainly on their LLU equipment.
: Question is, if I sign up for an ADSL2/2+ package, will it still
: work, albeit slower, with my crappy old modem?
:
: Probably not.
: Who doesn't supply a router when you sign up to ADSL2+?

Irrelevant. Why should you be forced to use their choice of equipment..?

As it happens, my AVM Fritz!Box 7170 is ADSL2+ compatible but its
predecessor wasn't.

Ivor

Old June 12th 08, 12:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John

Grumps wrote:
Hello

I'll ask this question here as the responses are typically far
quicker than my ISP's support.

I'm signed up for an 8meg ADSL package, but, as per a recent post of
mine, I'm now almost certainly on their LLU equipment.
Question is, if I sign up for an ADSL2/2+ package, will it still work,
albeit slower, with my crappy old modem?

What make and model is your crappy old modem? And, as others have pointed
out, you'll probably be supplied with a router on sign-up anyway.

John

Old June 12th 08, 01:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark Carver

Grumps wrote:
Hello

I'll ask this question here as the responses are typically far quicker than
my ISP's support.

I'm signed up for an 8meg ADSL package, but, as per a recent post of mine,
I'm now almost certainly on their LLU equipment.
Question is, if I sign up for an ADSL2/2+ package, will it still work,
albeit slower, with my crappy old modem?

I moved from ADSL 1 to ADSL 2 recently. I'm now using a Cisco AM-200
modem/router. However, I tried my cheapskate but perfectly reliable for
the last 4 years Safecom 4110 on the connection, and it worked, albeit
at a lower connection speed.

I suspect the DSLAM at the exchange is backwardly compatible with ADSL
1, and simply steps down the protocols until your router at home responds ?

Old June 12th 08, 01:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

"Mark Carver" wrote in message
Grumps wrote:
Hello

I'll ask this question here as the responses are typically far quicker
than my ISP's support.

I'm signed up for an 8meg ADSL package, but, as per a recent post of
mine, I'm now almost certainly on their LLU equipment.
Question is, if I sign up for an ADSL2/2+ package, will it still work,
albeit slower, with my crappy old modem?

I moved from ADSL 1 to ADSL 2 recently. I'm now using a Cisco AM-200
modem/router. However, I tried my cheapskate but perfectly reliable for
the last 4 years Safecom 4110 on the connection, and it worked, albeit at
a lower connection speed.

I suspect the DSLAM at the exchange is backwardly compatible with ADSL 1,
and simply steps down the protocols until your router at home responds ?

The ex Marconi ones could auto select the protocol, however they could also
be set to a protocol and would not fall back if they were.

Old June 12th 08, 01:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Grumps

[email protected] wrote:
"Grumps" wrote in message
Hello

I'll ask this question here as the responses are typically far
quicker than my ISP's support.

I'm signed up for an 8meg ADSL package, but, as per a recent post of
mine, I'm now almost certainly on their LLU equipment.
Question is, if I sign up for an ADSL2/2+ package, will it still
work, albeit slower, with my crappy old modem?

Probably not.
Who doesn't supply a router when you sign up to ADSL2+?

My ISP doesn't. If you want their router, then you have to take a 12 month
contract.

Old June 12th 08, 01:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Grumps

John wrote:
Grumps wrote:
Hello

I'll ask this question here as the responses are typically far
quicker than my ISP's support.

I'm signed up for an 8meg ADSL package, but, as per a recent post of
mine, I'm now almost certainly on their LLU equipment.
Question is, if I sign up for an ADSL2/2+ package, will it still
work, albeit slower, with my crappy old modem?

What make and model is your crappy old modem? And, as others have
pointed out, you'll probably be supplied with a router on sign-up
anyway.

It's technically a regrade.
The old modem is an Addon 8100 ( I think ). I borrowed it from work a couple
of years ago to replace my Netgear DG-something which didn't support VPN
properly.

Old June 12th 08, 03:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Question is, if I sign up for an ADSL2/2+ package, will it still work,
albeit slower, with my crappy old modem?

I asked Draytek the same question re their Vigor 2600,
they said yes, but you will only get 4Mbps.
It's their plus range that supports the faster protocols.
That said, if you are on a long or difficult line you
will only get the speed your line supports, and I
have found that the Vigor 2600 long and difficult
line flash stepped me up a level of sync speed.
A BT Voyager 240 ADSL router, supports up
to 8Mbps, but gives the same sync speed as
the Vigor without the long line flash.
Zen say up to 8Mbps but that is what
they all offer, so I'm either not on an 8Mbps
service, or I'm getting the fastest my line
supports.
AFAIK the DSLAM configures itself to
support the far end, and if basic ADSL is
the best the modem can support, that's
what you get.
Can say if LLU DSLAMS will behave the
same
When the faster protocols were
introduced it wasn't a case that everyone had to
buy a new modem to support them,
you just stayed at the basic ADSL rate of up to
4Mbps, as users bought support for
ADSL+ the old ADSL modems flooded onto
eBay at rediculous prices.
..
Old June 12th 08, 04:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
SJP

"Grumps" wrote in message
Hello

I'll ask this question here as the responses are typically far quicker
than my ISP's support.

I'm signed up for an 8meg ADSL package,

No you didn't you signed up for an "upto 8 meg" package