News Server For Sky?

Old June 14th 08, 10:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin

Default News Server For Sky?

On dialup at present, with an isp that has a news server which I access via
Outlook Express.

What happens if I move to Sky broadband, do Sky have a news server, if not
how are newsgroup messages accessed ?

Thanks.

Martin

Old June 14th 08, 11:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kráftéé

Martin wrote:
On dialup at present, with an isp that has a news server which I
access via Outlook Express.

What happens if I move to Sky broadband, do Sky have a news server,
if not how are newsgroup messages accessed ?

Thanks.

Martin

Sky does not have news servers so you'll have to look around for either a
free service or one which requires you to effectly pay subs. I'm still
using Datemas.de (a free server) for a few groups which don't appear to be
carried by BT Internet, but I do know there a couple more so do a 'google' &
you won't go far wrong..

Old June 15th 08, 12:31 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson

What happens if I move to Sky broadband, do Sky have a news server, if not
how are newsgroup messages accessed ?

They don't have one themselves, but I use motzarella.org - it seems to
carry pretty much everything that individual.net do, but for free.

If you're after binaries, there are a couple of larger news hosts such
as Astraweb, who do a 90Gb package for a one-off $25 fee
Old June 15th 08, 01:22 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve Terry

"Martin" wrote in message
On dialup at present, with an isp that has a news server which I access
via Outlook Express.

Let me guess NTLworld/virgin/tesco?

What happens if I move to Sky broadband, do Sky have a news server,
if not how are newsgroup messages accessed ?
Thanks.
Martin

Nope, but albasani.net is free and IMHO the best of the free ones,
and much better than any of the NTL newservers.

Steve Terry

Old June 15th 08, 07:20 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Doc Holliday

I use motzarella.org as well, but I'm not interested in binaries. I think if
you want really good binary access, you will need to pay for it. Even ISPs
who do have their own news server generally don't do good binaries.

"Colin Wilson" o.uk wrote
in message g...

Old June 15th 08, 07:41 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eeyore

Colin Wilson wrote:

What happens if I move to Sky broadband, do Sky have a news server, if not
how are newsgroup messages accessed ?

They don't have one themselves, but I use motzarella.org - it seems to
carry pretty much everything that individual.net do, but for free.

If you're after binaries, there are a couple of larger news hosts such
as Astraweb, who do a 90Gb package for a one-off $25 fee

Which is almost a lifetime's worth of text use and worth it just for that !

Graham

Old June 15th 08, 11:09 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bill Ridgeway

"Martin" wrote in message
On dialup at present, with an isp that has a news server which I access
via Outlook Express.

What happens if I move to Sky broadband, do Sky have a news server, if not
how are newsgroup messages accessed ?

Thanks.

Martin

Suggest you try (all free) -
aioe.org (preferred)
news.albasini.net
news.readfreenews.net

Bill Ridgeway

Old June 15th 08, 12:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Daniel James

In article , Kraftee
wrote:
... Datemas.de (a free server) ...

I gather from some recent discussion over on news.software.readers that
datemas is no longer completely free ...

Cheers,
Daniel.

Old June 15th 08, 02:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil McKerracher

What happens if I move to Sky broadband, do Sky have a news server, if not
how are newsgroup messages accessed ?

Also try teranews.com (free for light use) or giganews.com

--
Phil McKerracher
www.mckerracher.net

Old June 15th 08, 02:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Cork Soaker

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=free+news+servers