Decent modem/router for ADSL2/2+

Old June 14th 08, 10:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Grumps

Default Decent modem/router for ADSL2/2+

Hi

After my recent question about the compatibility of my old router with an
ADSL2/2+ connection, it turns out to be a moot point as the said router will
now not connect at all. In fact, its syncing LED flashes at the normal rate
to start with, then slows down and eventually stops. Even the 4-port switch
part has stopped working. It is an ex-router!

So, for about 50 (maybe a bit more) what is a decent ADLS2/2+ router with
4-port switch, wireless not required? Perhaps with a good long line length
sensitivity. Definitely one that shows router stats (my even older Netgear
DG814 doesn't do this).

So far I'm looking at:
ZyXEL Prestige 660HW-T1
NETGEAR DG834G
Linksys AG241
Billion BIPAC 5200

Old June 14th 08, 10:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

After my recent question about the compatibility of my old router with an
ADSL2/2+ connection, it turns out to be a moot point as the said router
will now not connect at all. In fact, its syncing LED flashes at the
normal rate to start with, then slows down and eventually stops. Even the
4-port switch part has stopped working. It is an ex-router!

So, for about 50 (maybe a bit more) what is a decent ADLS2/2+ router with
4-port switch, wireless not required? Perhaps with a good long line length
sensitivity. Definitely one that shows router stats (my even older Netgear
DG814 doesn't do this).

So far I'm looking at:
ZyXEL Prestige 660HW-T1
NETGEAR DG834G
Linksys AG241
Billion BIPAC 5200

Consider spending a bit more and look for a Draytek 2800 on eBay. The basic
version without wireless fetch around 60.00 and is superior to any of your
shortlist. Note that the 2600 series don't support ADSL 2+.

Peter Crosland

Old June 15th 08, 09:57 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J

"Grumps" wrote in message
Hi

After my recent question about the compatibility of my old router with an
ADSL2/2+ connection, it turns out to be a moot point as the said router
will now not connect at all. In fact, its syncing LED flashes at the
normal rate to start with, then slows down and eventually stops. Even the
4-port switch part has stopped working. It is an ex-router!

So, for about 50 (maybe a bit more) what is a decent ADLS2/2+ router with
4-port switch, wireless not required? Perhaps with a good long line length
sensitivity. Definitely one that shows router stats (my even older Netgear
DG814 doesn't do this).

So far I'm looking at:
ZyXEL Prestige 660HW-T1
NETGEAR DG834G
Linksys AG241
Billion BIPAC 5200

I've been using some Edimax routers recently, and these are very good value.
For example see:
http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Produ...oductID=584405

These provide:

1) DDNS client - so you can always find out your ISP-dynamic address from
elsewhere.

2) Access control option - so that you can nominate those IP addresses from
which you want to allow remote access (good for security!)

3) Port forwarding - so you can specify which application you allow to
communicate with the "home" computer.

4) DHCP pool summary - so you can identify the internal computer for which
you wish to set up port forwarding

.... as well as all the basic features you would expect.

Many more expensive routers miss out on some of these features.

It would be nice for it to have a built-in ping facility so it could test
connectivity to a local PC, for example.

VPN support would be nice, but a little too much to ask for 18.99 plus VAT,
I think.

--
Graham J

Old June 15th 08, 10:10 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Grumps

"Graham J" wrote in message

"Grumps" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks.
I guess I should've mentioned that VPN and port forwarding are essential.

Old June 15th 08, 10:11 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Grumps

"Peter Crosland" wrote in message
[...]

I'll look at the Draytek models.
What features have they got that are superior to my, growing, list?

Old June 15th 08, 10:47 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

[...]

A comparison of the various Draytek models is here.

http://www.draytek.co.uk/products/comparison.html

They really have unmatched facilities and quality as far as home/small
business are concerned. Unless you want to go to the expense and
complication of something like Cisco you will not find anything better.
Added to the fact they are easy to set up and have a knowledgeable user
group.

Peter Crosland

Old June 15th 08, 10:52 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sam

Grumps writes:
Consider spending a bit more and look for a Draytek 2800 on eBay. The
basic version without wireless fetch around 60.00 and is superior to any
of your shortlist. Note that the 2600 series don't support ADSL 2+.

Thanks.
I'll look at the Draytek models.
What features have they got that are superior to my, growing, list?

I wouldn't recommend a Draytek 2800. I have a Draytek 2800VG, and it's a
dog on ADSL2+ (Be). I have the Draytek, a Speedtouch 585v6 and 780WL,
Billion 7300G, and a Sky-branded Netgear DG834GT with the UberGT
firmware.

The DG834GT outclasses all the others - better sync speed, superb line
stability (I'm on an extremely short line - about 100-150 meters) - I
can't remember the last time it resynced, it's probably been months now.
The Speedtouches in particular are not very stable at all - they
reconnect every few days, which might not be noticeable for some people,
but it is to me. The Billion 7300G is cheap 'n' cheerful, slower sync
than the GT but much more stable than the Speedtouch range.

However, I don't use the wifi aspect of any of my ADSL routers - I have
a separate AP for that, so I can't comment on the GT's wifi
performance/stability.

For the Draytek 2800, the ISP has to mess with the INP settings, and the
stability sucks anway. When it (regularly) reconnected, it took a long
time to reconnect (3mins+) despite following Draytek's guidelines. Also,
the original PSU died, but Draytek replaced that for free seeing as I
had a different suitable PSU which worked fine with it.
Old June 15th 08, 11:03 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Grumps

"Sam" wrote in message
Grumps writes:
[...]

Thanks for that Sam.
It's individual user's comments that are always worth reading.

Shame about your findings on the 2800 as I was looking on eBay at these;
about 50. Its feature set (incl. instant messenger blocking) looked ideal.

Old June 15th 08, 11:37 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

[...]

Beware of making a judgement on the experience of a single user. At such a
short distance from the exchange one has to ask what other factors might
causing problems rather than a particular router.

Peter Crosland

Old June 15th 08, 12:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Grumps

[...]

Indeed.
I've read a lot of reviews about the 2600 and 2800/2820. Mostly they're 5
stars; occasionally less due to wireless issues. But I don't need wireless.