BT 2wire 2700HGV, will it retrain the ADSL speed?

Old June 15th 08, 12:51 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ken Nixon

Default BT 2wire 2700HGV, will it retrain the ADSL speed?

I have just changed my router for a BT 2wire 2700HGV and notice that unlike
my previous router, it is syncing at a bit lower speed (3486 kbps) as
apposed to my previous common router sync speed of 4128 kbps. But I also
notice that my router is now holding a downstream noise margin that is
steady at 15.0db all the time. I would have expected this 15.0db to be
lower and the speed to be slightly higher than it is currently?? Whats the
lowest figure for downstream noise margin that these routers will go down
to? With my old router I am used to seeing a noise margin of around 5db or
less and a greater sync speed of around 4128 kbps.

Will the router adjust itself if I leave it online permanently?

Thanks

Old June 15th 08, 01:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kráftéé

Ken Nixon wrote:
I have just changed my router for a BT 2wire 2700HGV and notice
that unlike my previous router, it is syncing at a bit lower speed
(3486 kbps) as apposed to my previous common router sync speed of
4128 kbps. But I also notice that my router is now holding a
downstream noise margin that is steady at 15.0db all the time. I
would have expected this 15.0db to be lower and the speed to be
slightly higher than it is currently?? Whats the lowest figure for
downstream noise margin that these routers will go down to? With
my old router I am used to seeing a noise margin of around 5db or
less and a greater sync speed of around 4128 kbps.

Will the router adjust itself if I leave it online permanently?

Thanks

If you keep swapping routers RAMBO (?) will raise your SNR threshold to
anything upto 15dB, which is what you are getting. The problem is that when
it has done that on occaisions the profile gets sticky so it doesn't
renegotiate to give you faster speeds by reducing your SNR threshold. If
you leave it for a few days you may find that it does change, but whilst you
are plugging, unplugging/switching on & off your service don't expect much
to happen at all.

Old June 15th 08, 02:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ken Nixon

If you keep swapping routers RAMBO (?) will raise your SNR threshold to
anything upto 15dB, which is what you are getting. The problem is that

when
it has done that on occaisions the profile gets sticky so it doesn't
renegotiate to give you faster speeds by reducing your SNR threshold. If
you leave it for a few days you may find that it does change, but whilst

you
are plugging, unplugging/switching on & off your service don't expect much
to happen at all.

The old router is a Netgear DG834G, and still happliy syncs at 3776 kbps any
time of day or night. I bought this BT2700HGV because I was led to believe
it would give me a better connection speed. But perhaps it is not working
out that way.

Kraftee, thanks for those comments. Are the above comments you made correct
for both IPStream and Datastream? My ISP uses Datastream (so I am told).

Ken

Old June 15th 08, 09:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Woby Tide

On Jun 15, 12:51*am, "Ken Nixon"
wrote:
I have just changed my router for a BT 2wire 2700HGV and notice that unlike
my previous router, it is syncing at a bit lower speed (3486 kbps) as
apposed to my previous common router sync speed of 4128 kbps. *But I also
notice that my router is now holding a downstream noise margin that is
steady at 15.0db all the time. *I would have expected this 15.0db to be
lower and the speed to be slightly higher than it is currently?? Whats the
lowest figure for downstream noise margin that these routers will go down
to? *With my old router I am used to seeing a noise margin of around 5db or
less and a greater sync speed of around 4128 kbps.

Will the router adjust itself if I leave it online permanently?

Thanks

My current stats on a 2700HGV. Lowest noise margin has been about 4.
Toying with getting te ISP to set it to 3 at some point just to see
how it handles

DSL Down Up
Current Rate: 17183 kbs 1108 kbs
Max Rate: 17749 kbs 1108 kbs
Current Connection:
Current Noise Margin: 5.7 dB 7.5 dB
Current Attenuation: 21.8 dB 10.1 dB
Current Output Power: 16.6 dBm 12.0 dBm
Old June 15th 08, 10:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve Olive

I can't help a lot here, but I bought one of these routers for a friend
living miles from the exchange.

Previously we tried a DG834G and a Linksys job. Neither would stay
connected reliably for any length of time.

The 2700 however is utterly superb. Hasn't missed a beat in a year now.

I have just changed my router for a BT 2wire 2700HGnd notice that unlike

Old June 16th 08, 01:44 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin²

Kraftee,
I am right that BT has recently made changes to the way DLM operates ?

My BT1801HG is capable of 2.8Mb/s on 6dB SNR and 51dB att. ~95% of the time.
We get frequent random noise spikes and even though the router works down to
2dB SNR, it does disconnect quite often, but almost always re connects
straightaway.
Previously it was possible to bring it back 'up to speed', whenever the SNR
got over the 6dB treshold.
However, lately it won't, I even got my ISP to reset it back down to 6dB,
but it has since climbed up to 12dB and they refuse to do it again. They
said it should be left alone for at least five days, but it just doesn't
stay up for that long !

Quite simply I am prevented from making the best use of my connection. It's
MY connection and I should be able to chose between slow and steady or fast
with drop outs.
If I get a router which can set min of say 8dB would the DLM use that limit,
or would it set it's own higher one ?
Thanks, regards,
Martin

Old June 16th 08, 08:17 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
WCZ

Ken Nixon wrote:
I have just changed my router for a BT 2wire 2700HGnd notice that
unlike my previous router, it is syncing at a bit lower speed (3486
kbps) as apposed to my previous common router sync speed of 4128
kbps. But I also notice that my router is now holding a downstream
noise margin that is steady at 15.0db all the time. I would have
expected this 15.0db to be lower and the speed to be slightly higher
than it is currently?? Whats the lowest figure for downstream noise
margin that these routers will go down to? With my old router I am
used to seeing a noise margin of around 5db or less and a greater
sync speed of around 4128 kbps. Will the router adjust itself if I leave
it online permanently?

Thanks

I bought one of these a few weeks ago from digidave.co.uk and as everyone
else suggested it has improved my sync speed. I've got a long line (75db
attenuation) which was just giving me a 1250 profile with a DG834v3. The
2wire is nearly at the 1750 threshold so I'm hopeful that when BT shove in
the 21CN kit in August that I might finally breach 2Mb.

--

WCZ

Old June 16th 08, 08:20 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
WCZ

Martin² wrote:
[...]

If you want to play with the SNR then the Netgear DG834GT is the way to go.
Some of the speedtouch models can also be tweaked with the DLM tool but you
need the right router model and the right firmware. The DG834GT as far as I
know still works with DLM with the latest firmware. Or you could put the
UberGT firmware on it. Not sure how close you'll get to 6dB but it will be
an improvement for you.

When your exchange goes to 21CN for broadband BT will be supporting a user
chooseable SNR. You can choose from 6dB upwards.

--

WCZ