Upgrade Speed

Old June 15th 08, 02:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve

Default Upgrade Speed

I'm about to change my ISP.

I currently have an "8 Mb" service from Nildram which shows about 2.5 Mbps
on a speed checker.
So, is there any point to going for a "16 Mb" service with my new ISP
(probably O2)?

It seems there are two possibilities. Either my line is limited to about 2.5
Mbps, in which case the faster service is wasted. Or maybe the faster
service will double my download speed to around 5 Mbps. Can anyone tell me
the likely result?

Steve

Old June 15th 08, 02:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Cork Soaker

Steve wrote:
I'm about to change my ISP.

I currently have an "8 Mb" service from Nildram which shows about 2.5 Mbps
on a speed checker.
So, is there any point to going for a "16 Mb" service with my new ISP
(probably O2)?

It seems there are two possibilities. Either my line is limited to about 2.5
Mbps, in which case the faster service is wasted. Or maybe the faster
service will double my download speed to around 5 Mbps. Can anyone tell me
the likely result?

Steve

What does your router say?
Old June 15th 08, 03:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
SJP

"Steve" wrote in message
I'm about to change my ISP.

I currently have an "8 Mb" service from Nildram which shows about 2.5 Mbps
on a speed checker.

No you have an "upto" 8Mb service

Old June 15th 08, 04:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

I currently have an "8 Mb" service from Nildram which shows about 2.5 Mbps
on a speed checker.
So, is there any point to going for a "16 Mb" service with my new ISP
(probably O2)?

You should be able to get your sync speed, attenuation and signal noise
ratio SNR from your routers control panel.
There are several on line guides for expected speed based on atten
and SNR. Plus much informed comment if you publish the
figures here.
In general you get what your line supports, as you aren't getting the 8Mb
you probably won't get 16Mb, though you may see a slight improvement.
Speed can depend on what is at your end, router, local wiring,
noise sources, and the capability of your ISP to deliver the speed,
particularly at peak load times.
Like if you only get high speed test figures at 2am.
Old June 16th 08, 01:52 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin²

If your attenuation is higher then 49dB you will NOT get any benefit from
ADSL2/2+ .
There a graph showing that on several websites.
Mine is 51dB + :-(
Regards,
Martin

Old June 16th 08, 08:23 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
WCZ

Martin² wrote:
If your attenuation is higher then 49dB you will NOT get any benefit
from ADSL2/2+ .
There a graph showing that on several websites.
Mine is 51dB + :-(
Regards,
Martin

I've seen several of these graphs and some show improvement out to extremely
long lines. The OP won't know until he\she tries ADSL2 but I would expect
some improvement even if its only 0.25Mb.

You've got nothing to lose by moving to O2 or Be other than the 12 month
lock in contract. O2 seem pretty well thought of the last time I looked at
them. I was going to move but they don't want people with long lines. :-(

--

WCZ

Old June 16th 08, 09:44 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve

Sorry. I should have been more careful in my wording. I'll bet absolutely no
one understood what I meant.

Perhaps you didn't understand the gist of my question?

If I get only 2.5 Mb from an "Up to 8 Mb" service. What can I expect from an
"Up to 16 Mb" service?

Steve

Old June 16th 08, 09:48 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve

I've decided to go ahead with the UPTO 8 Mb service from O2.
This will also get me a modern router so I can then see attenuation etc.
If things look promising at that point I may decide to upgrade to UPTO 16
Mb.

Thanks to you all for your help.

Steve

"WCZ" wrote in message
Martin² wrote:
If your attenuation is higher then 49dB you will NOT get any benefit
from ADSL2/2+ .
There a graph showing that on several websites.
Mine is 51dB + :-(
Regards,
Martin

I've seen several of these graphs and some show improvement out to
extremely long lines. The OP won't know until he\she tries ADSL2 but I
would expect some improvement even if its only 0.25Mb.

You've got nothing to lose by moving to O2 or Be other than the 12 month
lock in contract. O2 seem pretty well thought of the last time I looked
at them. I was going to move but they don't want people with long lines.
:-(

--

WCZ

Old June 16th 08, 11:26 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
WCZ

"SJP" wrote in message

"Steve" wrote in message
I'm about to change my ISP.

I currently have an "8 Mb" service from Nildram which shows about
2.5 Mbps on a speed checker.

No you have an "upto" 8Mb service

Well, as always 'it depends'.

If the 8Mb service is ADSL and the 16Mb service is ADSL2+ then I'd expect
you to get a bit more speed out of the 16Mb service.

In your case, its hard to say. Nildram are Tiscali and they have their own
kit in the exchange so you're probably already LLU'd. I'm not sure if the
Tiscali kit is ADSL2+ or not.

However, as you have 2.5Mb now its almost a certainty that you won't get
more than 8Mb even if you are moving from ADSL to ADSL2+ so the up to 8Mb
will be fine.

Hope that makes some sense. Its all rather confusing.

--

WCZ