OT Laptops on BBC Tv Consumer programme.

Old June 16th 08, 10:06 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David

Default OT Laptops on BBC Tv Consumer programme.

Each morning on BBC1 there is "Don't get done, get Dom", Dom uses a laptop
and in each programme he just closes the laptop lid down my OT question is
is this ok to do?
I always click my Close computer and click Shut down and wait.

--
Regards,
David

Please reply to News Group

Old June 16th 08, 10:27 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Rex M F Smith

In message , David
writes

he just closes the laptop lid down my OT question is is this ok to do?

I always click my Close computer and click Shut down and wait.

Difference between "off" and "hibernate/sleep"

There are switches that cause the machines to sleep, engaged when the
lid is closed

sometimes as simple as a switch in the well where the catches engage ...

?do "off" machines with bad batteries catch fire?

!
--
Rex M F Smith
Old June 16th 08, 10:29 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Carl Waring

David wrote:
Each morning on BBC1 there is "Don't get done, get Dom", Dom uses a
laptop and in each programme he just closes the laptop lid down my OT
question is is this ok to do?
I always click my Close computer and click Shut down and wait.

Should be fine.

Display Properties/Screensaver/Power/Advanced should get to you the options
of what to do when you press the power button or close the lid. Take you
pick!

--
Carl Waring
DigiGuide:

Old June 16th 08, 10:42 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve Terry

"David" wrote in message
Each morning on BBC1 there is "Don't get done, get Dom", Dom uses a
laptop and in each programme he just closes the laptop lid down my OT
question is is this ok to do?
I always click my Close computer and click Shut down and wait.
Regards,
David

You can also set the lid switch to go to standby, or hibernate,
or do nothing and keep running

Steve Terry

Old June 16th 08, 12:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

On Mon, 16 Jun 2008 10:06:56 +0100, "David"
wrote:

Each morning on BBC1 there is "Don't get done, get Dom", Dom uses a laptop
and in each programme he just closes the laptop lid down my OT question is
is this ok to do?
I always click my Close computer and click Shut down and wait.

It's TV world - he's probably getting ready for "Take 2"!

In Windows you can usually tell a laptop what to do when the lid is
closed. e.g. go into Standby or Hibernate

I used to have a laptop that went into Hibernate whenever I closed the
lid. It saved the machines state, including memory, onto disk. When
you switched it on it carried on from exactly where you left it. If
the battery ran out in the meantime it still remembered what was
there.
The big advantage was it switched on quicker than a normal power-on.

However, with my newer laptops Hibernate doesn't work. I think because
it can't cope with the extra RAM I use - but I could be wrong.

Old June 16th 08, 10:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark McIntyre

David wrote:
Each morning on BBC1 there is "Don't get done, get Dom", Dom uses a
laptop and in each programme he just closes the laptop lid down my OT
question is is this ok to do?

Check out the power options in control panel - you can configure what
happens when you press various buttons or shut the lid.

I always click my Close computer and click Shut down and wait.

My laptop is configured to shutdown when I close the lid. I avoid
carrying it anywhere till the lights go out.