Help with home network needed

Old June 16th 08, 11:00 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
SS

Default Help with home network needed

Ive just set up my home PC using XP and my laptop using Vista on a wired
network and set it up as per these instructions:

http://www.informit.com/articles/article.aspx?p=1165037

Ive set up the sharing on the folders i want to share on both the laptop and
the PC and all are visible on the PC and laptop however when i click on a
folder is says:

\\\john\my Documents is not accesible. You might not have permission to use
this netowrk resources. Access is denied.

I am the only user on the PC and laptop.

any help appreciated

Old June 16th 08, 12:44 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Jeff Gaines

On 16/06/2008 in message SS wrote:

Ive just set up my home PC using XP and my laptop using Vista on a wired
network and set it up as per these instructions:

http://www.informit.com/articles/article.aspx?p=1165037

Ive set up the sharing on the folders i want to share on both the laptop
and the PC and all are visible on the PC and laptop however when i click
on a folder is says:

\\\john\my Documents is not accesible. You might not have permission to
use this netowrk resources. Access is denied.

I am the only user on the PC and laptop.

any help appreciated

Are you using the same workgroup name, user name and password on each
machine?

Do you have the problem "in both directions" - i.e. from the XP box to the
Vista box and vice versa or is it just one machine with the problem?

--
Jeff Gaines Damerham Hampshire UK
There is no reason anyone would want a computer in their home.
Old June 16th 08, 12:45 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Krustov

uk.comp.home-networking
SS
Mon, 16 Jun 2008 11:00:31 +0100

Ive just set up my home PC using XP and my laptop using Vista on a wired
network and set it up as per these instructions:

http://www.informit.com/articles/article.aspx?p=1165037

Ive set up the sharing on the folders i want to share on both the laptop and
the PC and all are visible on the PC and laptop however when i click on a
folder is says:

\\\john\my Documents is not accesible. You might not have permission to use
this netowrk resources. Access is denied.

I am the only user on the PC and laptop.

If 2 computers cant talk to each other - it can sometimes be a firewall
problem rather than a network settings problem .

And if thats the case - then you might have to adjust the firewall
settings on both computers to allow access .

--
www.krustov.co.uk
Old June 16th 08, 04:35 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
SS

"Jeff Gaines" wrote in message
[...]

Hi
yep its the same both ways, both workgroups are the same name and theres no
password on it i dont think

cheers

Old June 16th 08, 04:37 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
SS

"Krustov" wrote in message
m...
uk.comp.home-networking
SS
Mon, 16 Jun 2008 11:00:31 +0100

[...]

Firewalls off on both!
cheers

Old June 16th 08, 05:00 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Jeff Gaines

On 16/06/2008 in message SS wrote:

yep its the same both ways, both workgroups are the same name and theres
no password on it i dont think

The "standard" rule with NT and its variants is "no password, no
connection" so try it with the same password on each box.

There is a way round it using simple file sharing I think, but I've not
used it and I *think* it involves dragging files into a common shared
folder.

--
Jeff Gaines Damerham Hampshire UK
If you ever find something you like buy a lifetime supply because they
Old June 16th 08, 05:17 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
A J Hawke

On Mon, 16 Jun 2008 16:37:43 +0100, SS wrote:

"Krustov" wrote in message
m...
uk.comp.home-networking
SS
Mon, 16 Jun 2008 11:00:31 +0100

[...]

To clarify:

Can both machines browse each other? In windows explorer (hold down the
windows key and press 'e') can you browse the network to see the 'shares'
in both directions?

Is it then when you click on them you get the warning?

I know I've jumped through this hoop before in the past. AFAIR (and I am
open to correction) the share names are resolved by Netbios but the
actual connecting to them is TCP/IP. So, you can see them but when you
click you can't actually connect.

The idiot checks are to make:
The folders shared have had their permissions set correctly:
Select folder, right click and select the 'sharing tab'. Make sure that
'Share this folder as' is selected and a name is in the box. You can also
set the folder as read only or write in this area.

Be sure you don't have two firewalls running (windows firewall and Norton
Internet security for example). Check they really are off. AFAIR Zone
Alarm stays 'on' sometimes even when it tells you it is 'off'.

Make sure that the network lead is of the correct type (straight or
crossover as required by your kit)

Basic diagnostics checks you can do:
A) Check each machine to make sure they are on the same subnet
* [START] [RUN] open: cmd (this will open a dos command window)
* enter the following at the cursor ipconfig /all
* look at the results:

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : your_computer_name
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : your_adaptor
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : xx-xx-xx-xx-xx-xx
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No or Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.x
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.x.x
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : x.x.x.x
x.x.x.x

Look at the IP address on both machines and make sure the first three
numbers are the same (they may not be 192.168.0 - that does not matter -
they must match on both machines)

2) Confirm TCP/IP is working by typing:
ping 127.0.0.1
You should see something like:
*TIP [CTRL] + [C] breaks you out of it

3) Can you ping the other machine by typing:
ping xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
(where xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx is the IP address of the other machine)

If all of these prove good, and you are sure that both machines are in
the same workgroup - then I'll be buggered what is wrong with it.
Old June 16th 08, 05:30 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
A J Hawke

On Mon, 16 Jun 2008 16:00:18 +0000, Jeff Gaines wrote:

On 16/06/2008 in message SS wrote:

yep its the same both ways, both workgroups are the same name and theres
no password on it i dont think

The "standard" rule with NT and its variants is "no password, no
connection" so try it with the same password on each box.

There is a way round it using simple file sharing I think, but I've not
used it and I *think* it involves dragging files into a common shared
folder.

I've got a number of XP machines (home/pro) that talk and share with
different user ID's and passwords (just with 'sharing' enabled). The
fussy one was SAMBA which wanted the username and password to be the same
to allow XP into it (the other way round Windows did not give a damb
about ironically). Perhaps Vista is behaving this way - I can't say as I
don't own it.
Old June 16th 08, 08:43 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking

On Mon, 16 Jun 2008 11:00:31 +0100, "SS" wrote:

Ive just set up my home PC using XP and my laptop using Vista on a wired
network and set it up as per these instructions:

http://www.informit.com/articles/article.aspx?p=1165037

Ive set up the sharing on the folders i want to share on both the laptop and
the PC and all are visible on the PC and laptop however when i click on a
folder is says:

\\\john\my Documents is not accesible. You might not have permission to use
this netowrk resources. Access is denied.

I am the only user on the PC and laptop.

any help appreciated

http://www.networkmagic.com/support/ might help

HTH
Old July 15th 08, 02:40 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking

On 16 Jun, 11:00, "SS" wrote:
Ive just set up my home PC using XP and my laptop using Vista on a wired
network and set it up as per these instructions:

http://www.informit.com/articles/article.aspx?p=1165037

Ive set up the sharing on the folders i want to share on both the laptop and
the PC and all are visible on the PC and laptop however when i click on a
folder is says:

\\\john\my Documents is not accesible. You might not have permission to use
this netowrk resources. Access is denied.

I am the only user on the PC and laptop.

any help appreciated

I have encountered this problem a few times - I often find that
changing the network name resolves the issue as a last resort.
Also, since you are only sharing between 2 computers, you could simply
map the drives on each rather then browsing the network for them.
(My Computer - Tools - Map Network Drive).

Mark.

--

www.kpcomputerstore.co.uk