Long Term AOLer - Question for other long termers

Old June 16th 08, 05:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John

Default Long Term AOLer - Question for other long termers

Hi,

I've been with AOL for years, and am currently paying 14.99 for 2Mb. I
am a heavy user (100GB+ pm) and always used to be speed capped at peak
times but recently the cap has disappeared.
I see that AOL has recently introduced a 10GB cap, but they appear to
not be applying it to me.
Today I got a mail offering me a free upgrade to 8Mb along with a free
phone package - AOL Talk Unlimited.

My question is this: does anyone know if it is safe to go for the
upgrade? I would love 8Mb, but am concerned that if I go for it I
might then attract attention as a heavy user and be capped at 10GB.

All my instincts are telling me to keep my head down, but I wondered
if anyone here had taken the plunge and could give me a bit of
feedback.

Thanks to all.
Old June 16th 08, 08:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Adrian C

John wrote:
Hi,

I've been with AOL for years, and am currently paying 14.99 for 2Mb.

So the question you should really find an answer to.

"Can you get be/O2 broadband?"

--
Adrian C
Old June 16th 08, 08:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John

Adrian C wrote:

John wrote:

I've been with AOL for years, and am currently paying 14.99 for 2Mb.

So the question you should really find an answer to.

"Can you get be/O2 broadband?"

"Based on the information BT have given us about your landline, you
are outside O2's Broadband network coverage area but we are able to
offer you our alternative O2 Home Broadband Access package."

22.50 :-(
Old June 16th 08, 09:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Adrian C

John wrote:
Adrian C wrote:

John wrote:
I've been with AOL for years, and am currently paying 14.99 for 2Mb.

So the question you should really find an answer to.

"Can you get be/O2 broadband?"

"Based on the information BT have given us about your landline, you
are outside O2's Broadband network coverage area but we are able to
offer you our alternative O2 Home Broadband Access package."

22.50 :-(

Damm. Where can I send flowers of condolence to ?

Grrr..It's the devil you know or the one you don't.

OTOH You may have some good reasons maybe for staying with AOL. One of
AOL's features (other than access to the internet) was it's own user
communities which worked a bit like usenet does here. There will
certainly be some folks over there who have asked bandwidth cap related
questions. Worth a lurk.

Also have a look at http://www.samknows.com and look through the service
availabilty from other ISPs at your exchange. Going by a list in a
recent PCPro, there does seem to be a few providing a cap-less service
at some levels of monthly payment.

Demon, Orange, Nildram, Sky, etc ...

Avoid Tiscali! As many have found they cap the technical support!

--
Adrian C
Old June 16th 08, 10:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John

Adrian C wrote:

OTOH You may have some good reasons maybe for staying with AOL.

Rock solid connections since the days when they were the only dial up
provider offering a truly unlimited service. And then they were by far
the cheapest truly unlimited broadband supplier - again rock solid
connection.

One of
AOL's features (other than access to the internet) was it's own user
communities which worked a bit like usenet does here. There will
certainly be some folks over there who have asked bandwidth cap related
questions. Worth a lurk.

Good tip, thx. Only a few posts though, from users as confused as me,
noticing that atm neither the speed cap nor download cap are being
implemented.

Also have a look at http://www.samknows.com and look through the service
availabilty from other ISPs at your exchange. Going by a list in a
recent PCPro, there does seem to be a few providing a cap-less service
at some levels of monthly payment.

I check the competition moderately often and then get scared off by
too low d/l limits, or pricing, or AUPs that do not define
'excessive'.
Old June 16th 08, 11:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jasper

On Mon, 16 Jun 2008 19:09:31 +0100, Adrian C
wrote:

John wrote:
Hi,

I've been with AOL for years, and am currently paying 14.99 for 2Mb.

So the question you should really find an answer to.

"Can you get be/O2 broadband?"

I don't think that really was the question

Or the answer for that matter
Old June 17th 08, 12:02 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Cork Soaker

John wrote:
Hi,

I've been with AOL for years, and am currently paying 14.99 for 2Mb. I
am a heavy user (100GB+ pm) and always used to be speed capped at peak
times but recently the cap has disappeared.
I see that AOL has recently introduced a 10GB cap, but they appear to
not be applying it to me.
Today I got a mail offering me a free upgrade to 8Mb along with a free
phone package - AOL Talk Unlimited.

And you think that this is a coincidence? You'll soon see the cap again.
Old June 17th 08, 12:23 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John

Cork Soaker wrote:

John wrote:

I've been with AOL for years, and am currently paying 14.99 for 2Mb. I
am a heavy user (100GB+ pm) and always used to be speed capped at peak
times but recently the cap has disappeared.
I see that AOL has recently introduced a 10GB cap, but they appear to
not be applying it to me.
Today I got a mail offering me a free upgrade to 8Mb along with a free
phone package - AOL Talk Unlimited.

And you think that this is a coincidence?

Dunno - hence my post.

You'll soon see the cap again.

It feels like it, for sure. I don't mind a peak time speed cap; I
would mind a 10GB d/l cap. Like any heavy user since dial up first
went unmetered, all I am looking for is precise info in order to make
an informed choice.
Old June 17th 08, 01:18 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Cork Soaker

John wrote:
Cork Soaker wrote:

John wrote:
I've been with AOL for years, and am currently paying 14.99 for 2Mb. I
am a heavy user (100GB+ pm) and always used to be speed capped at peak
times but recently the cap has disappeared.
I see that AOL has recently introduced a 10GB cap, but they appear to
not be applying it to me.
Today I got a mail offering me a free upgrade to 8Mb along with a free
phone package - AOL Talk Unlimited.

And you think that this is a coincidence?

Dunno - hence my post.

You'll soon see the cap again.

It feels like it, for sure. I don't mind a peak time speed cap; I
would mind a 10GB d/l cap. Like any heavy user since dial up first
went unmetered, all I am looking for is precise info in order to make
an informed choice.

You've got no chance of that with AOL :-)
Old June 17th 08, 01:46 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gizmo.

"Adrian C" wrote in message
John wrote:
Adrian C wrote:

John wrote:
[...]

Demon do have a "cap". I believe its 60GB.
What they do when you hit that I couldn't say. Probably force you to endure
a 15 minute call from one of their clueless ****s in "tech support".