Help troubleshooting Outlook Express Problem

Old June 17th 08, 03:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
A.N. Onymous Esq

Default Help troubleshooting Outlook Express Problem

XP with SP3

When I first turn my computer on in the morning and try to check my email
with Outlook Express it will not connect. It just sits there and after a
while says "your server has not responded, do you want to wait or stop" No
matter how many times I click wait it never connects. Internet browsing is
fine as is my local network. I can check my email using web mail so I know
my details are correct. If I then reboot my computer it connects fine.
Nothing has altered recently other than XP updates and my Antiviral Updates
(I run avast)

Any suggestions as to how to figure out what is gong on?

Old June 17th 08, 09:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Cork Soaker

A.N. Onymous Esq wrote:
XP with SP3

When I first turn my computer on in the morning and try to check my
email with Outlook Express it will not connect. It just sits there and
after a while says "your server has not responded, do you want to wait
or stop" No matter how many times I click wait it never connects.
Internet browsing is fine as is my local network. I can check my email
using web mail so I know my details are correct. If I then reboot my
computer it connects fine. Nothing has altered recently other than XP
updates and my Antiviral Updates (I run avast)

Any suggestions as to how to figure out what is gong on?

You'd be better off asking in a Microsoft newsgroup, this is for broadband.
Old June 17th 08, 10:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
xCx

A.N. Onymous Esq wrote:
XP with SP3

When I first turn my computer on in the morning and try to check my
email with Outlook Express it will not connect. It just sits there and
after a while says "your server has not responded, do you want to wait
or stop" No matter how many times I click wait it never connects.
Internet browsing is fine as is my local network. I can check my email
using web mail so I know my details are correct. If I then reboot my
computer it connects fine. Nothing has altered recently other than XP
updates and my Antiviral Updates (I run avast)

Any suggestions as to how to figure out what is gong on?

Yes, it's pants.

May I suggest...

www.getthunderbird.com ?
Old June 17th 08, 10:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J

"xCx" wrote in message
A.N. Onymous Esq wrote:
XP with SP3

When I first turn my computer on in the morning and try to check my email
with Outlook Express it will not connect. It just sits there and after a
while says "your server has not responded, do you want to wait or stop"
No matter how many times I click wait it never connects. Internet
browsing is fine as is my local network. I can check my email using web
mail so I know my details are correct. If I then reboot my computer it
connects fine. Nothing has altered recently other than XP updates and my
Antiviral Updates (I run avast)

Any suggestions as to how to figure out what is gong on?

Yes, it's pants.

May I suggest...

www.getthunderbird.com ?

How is your internet connection achieved? Is it via a router or a modem?

--
Graham J

Old June 18th 08, 12:21 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

When I first turn my computer on in the morning and try to check my
email
with Outlook Express it will not connect. It just sits there and after
while says "your server has not responded,

Your mail server should have a dotted quad IP address, can you
ping (or traceroute) to it?

If I then reboot my computer it
connects fine.

Do you mean reboot or restart?

There should be no difference between the first boot of
the day and any other boot during the day.
However there is a difference between turn off then
start. Turn off then start is
a complete reboot, AKA a cold start..
With restart, power is not
removed from the motherboard and it is similar to
pushing the reset button, rather than using the
on/off button, it is a warm start, the board
stays powered up, the processor just gets
a logic level reset or a reset instruction.
So there are minor differences
between the restart button and the restart
instruction.
So what makes it work?
Power off then power on button?
Power off menu with the restart option?
The little reset button on the front?

Then I'd the look at Services in
the Administrators menu, there are several services
connected with mail, see what is different between
when it doesn't work after first boot, and when
it does.
Old June 18th 08, 01:11 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

wrote:
[...]

I wonder if his first start of the day also includes his router.
Old June 18th 08, 07:15 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
A.N. Onymous Esq

[...]

I connect via a router which is left on 24/7 - another PC has Vista
installed and this has no problem at all.
By reboot I mean click on start - shutdown - restart - then it works.

Old June 20th 08, 08:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve Terry

"A.N. Onymous Esq" [email protected] wrote in message
XP with SP3

When I first turn my computer on in the morning and try to check my email
with Outlook Express it will not connect. It just sits there and after a
while says "your server has not responded, do you want to wait or stop" No
matter how many times I click wait it never connects. Internet browsing is
fine as is my local network. I can check my email using web mail so I know
my details are correct. If I then reboot my computer it connects fine.
Nothing has altered recently other than XP updates and my Antiviral
Updates (I run avast)

Any suggestions as to how to figure out what is gong on?

Sounds like a registries problem, use something like Norton windoctor on it

Steve Terry