Profile reduced

Old June 18th 08, 08:32 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mike

Default Profile reduced

My profile was reduced from 7000 to 4000 on the 11th June. For the last 6
months I have always got between 6400 &7200 on tests. Now get between 3800 &
just managed 4200 this morning. Could uploading a small amount of data
(about 22kb) every 10 seconds 24/7 have caused or be responsible for the
profile remaining low?. Would it help to shut the router down overnight as I
understand that is when sync tests take place.

TIA Mick

Old June 18th 08, 09:23 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eeyore

Mike wrote:

My profile was reduced from 7000 to 4000 on the 11th June. For the last 6
months I have always got between 6400 &7200 on tests. Now get between 3800 &
just managed 4200 this morning. Could uploading a small amount of data
(about 22kb) every 10 seconds 24/7 have caused or be responsible for the
profile remaining low?. Would it help to shut the router down overnight as I
understand that is when sync tests take place.

What provider ? LLU or not ?

Graaham

Old June 18th 08, 09:38 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gizmo.

"Mike" wrote in message
et...
My profile was reduced from 7000 to 4000 on the 11th June. For the last 6
months I have always got between 6400 &7200 on tests. Now get between 3800
& just managed 4200 this morning. Could uploading a small amount of data
(about 22kb) every 10 seconds 24/7 have caused or be responsible for the
profile remaining low?. Would it help to shut the router down overnight as
I understand that is when sync tests take place.

My connection has done the same ... at about the same date.
Went from the usual 6.5Mb to 4Mb.
I've sent Demon a couple of emails, but their only response is for me to
call their inbred cretin in "technical support".

Old June 18th 08, 10:36 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mike

"Eeyore" wrote in message

Mike wrote:

My profile was reduced from 7000 to 4000 on the 11th June. For the last 6
months I have always got between 6400 &7200 on tests. Now get between
3800 &
just managed 4200 this morning. Could uploading a small amount of data
(about 22kb) every 10 seconds 24/7 have caused or be responsible for the
profile remaining low?. Would it help to shut the router down overnight
as I
understand that is when sync tests take place.

What provider ? LLU or not ?

Graaham

Sorry for lack of info - no LLU - Plusnet, who responded quickly and say it
should go up in a few days or if it is stuck then get back to them. The
question I was interested in was if the data upload could be having an
affect as the problem appeared round about the same time I tried uploading
every 10 seconds. . If it is I could knock it down to daytime only or
increase the periods to 2 minutes. The data currently is 20kb every 20 secs
and 2 other lots of data every 120 secs all to different address's.

Mick

Old June 18th 08, 10:43 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

My profile was reduced from 7000 to 4000 on the 11th June. For the last
6
months I have always got between 6400 &7200 on tests. Now get between
3800
& just managed 4200 this morning.

My experience has been that a short burst of noise can severely
degrade your sync speed.I look at my ADSL spectrum display
and it is as it's always been. It can take the best part of a week
before whatever algorithm they use sees that the noise has gone,
and sync spped suddenly jumps up to its former value, often a bit
higher, stays like that for a while, then drops back one step
to as you were originally, having found its preferred SNR figure.
Suspected, but not fully proven, if I swap in a different, spare,
ADSL modem, it sees a different box amy end, so forcing
a retrain. Then put the original box back, forcing another retrain,
and the sync speed is much better, but still takes a little while
before you get your highest sync speed back.
There are different makes of DSLAM so I can't say if they all
act the same, and their algorithms are a mystery, why does
it take so long to recover after a noise burst, yet it is quick
to respond to the burst.?
Old June 18th 08, 10:50 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mike

wrote in message
news
[...]

I've got a spare modem/router so if it doesn't go up by the weekend I'll try
swapping them and see what happens - thanks for that.

Mick

Old June 18th 08, 12:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eeyore

Mike wrote:

"Eeyore" wrote

My profile was reduced from 7000 to 4000 on the 11th June. For the last 6
months I have always got between 6400 &7200 on tests. Now get between
3800 &
just managed 4200 this morning. Could uploading a small amount of data
(about 22kb) every 10 seconds 24/7 have caused or be responsible for the
profile remaining low?. Would it help to shut the router down overnight
as I understand that is when sync tests take place.

What provider ? LLU or not ?

Sorry for lack of info - no LLU - Plusnet, who responded quickly and say it
should go up in a few days or if it is stuck then get back to them. The
question I was interested in was if the data upload could be having an
affect as the problem appeared round about the same time I tried uploading
every 10 seconds.

Not remotely likely AFAIK.

. If it is I could knock it down to daytime only or
increase the periods to 2 minutes. The data currently is 20kb every 20 secs
and 2 other lots of data every 120 secs all to different address's.

That's what it's supposed to be able to do. Hah, it's not P2P traffic is it ?

Graham

Old June 18th 08, 12:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eeyore

"Gizmo." wrote:

"Mike" wrote

My profile was reduced from 7000 to 4000 on the 11th June. For the last 6
months I have always got between 6400 &7200 on tests. Now get between 3800
& just managed 4200 this morning. Could uploading a small amount of data
(about 22kb) every 10 seconds 24/7 have caused or be responsible for the
profile remaining low?. Would it help to shut the router down overnight as
I understand that is when sync tests take place.

My connection has done the same ... at about the same date.
Went from the usual 6.5Mb to 4Mb.
I've sent Demon a couple of emails, but their only response is for me to
call their inbred cretin in "technical support".

New ISP time ! Demon went to hell ages back.

Graham

Old June 18th 08, 01:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gizmo.

"Eeyore" wrote in message

"Gizmo." wrote:

"Mike" wrote

My profile was reduced from 7000 to 4000 on the 11th June. For the last
6
months I have always got between 6400 &7200 on tests. Now get between
3800
& just managed 4200 this morning. Could uploading a small amount of
data
(about 22kb) every 10 seconds 24/7 have caused or be responsible for
the
profile remaining low?. Would it help to shut the router down overnight
as
I understand that is when sync tests take place.

My connection has done the same ... at about the same date.
Went from the usual 6.5Mb to 4Mb.
I've sent Demon a couple of emails, but their only response is for me to
call their inbred cretin in "technical support".

New ISP time ! Demon went to hell ages back.

Agreed. It's one of those jobs I "keep meaning to do" /

Demon went down the ****ter when they moved tech support from Southend to
India.

Old June 18th 08, 02:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mike

"Gizmo." wrote in message

"Eeyore" wrote in message

"Gizmo." wrote:

"Mike" wrote

[...]

Even though I have the problem just now I cannot fault Plusnet for their
tech support - I left NTL/Virgin after being with them 8 years due to
support with extremely low speeds (quite often a low as a few hundred kbps)
and have had extremely quick responses to any queeries. They even got me
migrated in about 4 days just coming up to Christams eve when I was having
trouble migrating to the Post office broadband who had a software problem
with their ordering system and were going to take at least 7 weeks with no
promises even then. I have only had a couple of dropped connections in the 6
months and no drop in speed until now so as long as the support stays in the
UK then I will be staying with Plusnet.

Mick