MAC Code

Old June 18th 08, 04:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Richard H

Default MAC Code

What does a MAC code look like?

If I log in to my router and then select Router Status from its options I
get two values for "MAC Address" - one under a section titled "ADSL Port"
and another under "LAN Port".

The values are each of the form: nn:nn:nn:nn:nn:nn

(The ADSL section also shows my current IP address.)

Old June 18th 08, 05:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager

On Wed, 18 Jun 2008 14:51:29 UTC, Richard H
wrote:

What does a MAC code look like?

No such thing as a 'MAC code'. Just a symptom of RAS syndrome.

I take it you mean a MAC. In broadband terms, that's a Migration
Authorisation Code (MAC). Not a Migration Authorisation Code code!

No idea what it looks like, as I'm still with my original ISP after
about 6 years.

(I wouldn't have answered, but the following really needs clarifying).

If I log in to my router and then select Router Status from its options I
get two values for "MAC Address" - one under a section titled "ADSL Port"
and another under "LAN Port".

This is something totally different. Here, MAC stands for 'Media Access
Control' and is the unique hardware-based network address of the device
interface. There are two here because it's a router and has two network
interfaces.
--
Bob Eager
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:

Old June 18th 08, 05:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John Morris

"Richard H" wrote in message
What does a MAC code look like?

If I log in to my router and then select Router Status from its options I
get two values for "MAC Address" - one under a section titled "ADSL Port"
and another under "LAN Port".

Thats because there are two MAC addresses, one on the LAN (Local Area
Network) side and another on the WAN (Wide Area Metwork or Internet) side of
the router. They take the form of something like 01:23:45:67:89:ab These
MAC addresses are 'Media Access Control' Addreses.

'Media Access Control' Addreses are not to be confused with a MAC code that
you would request from your ISP when wanting to move to another broadband
service. These are Migration Authorisation Codes and are in the form of,
BBIP87654321/AB12C for example.

Hope that helps.

Old June 18th 08, 05:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eeyore

Richard H wrote:

What does a MAC code look like?

If I log in to my router and then select Router Status from its options I
get two values for "MAC Address"

Different thing entirely.

Graham

Old June 19th 08, 09:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager

On Thu, 19 Jun 2008 17:04:00 UTC, Richard H
wrote:

{I wish people would stop using the same TLAs [Three-Letter-Acronyms] for
different meanings - it's sooo confusing :-( }

I wish people would stop using them incorrectly too! (RAS syndrome)