Simultaneous move - brain fade

Old June 19th 08, 07:37 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
fred

Default Simultaneous move - brain fade

Someone recently wrote an excellent post on the exact process to follow
to initiate a simultaneous move of phone line and broadband but can I
find it?

I've found a few mentions of the subject but this one had a real step by
step approach, highlighting the possible pitfalls at each stage with
options to initiate from either BT or ISP.

Think the o/p might have been Graham, perhaps Jono.

If anyone has the post handy please post the subject line & author so I
can search again.

It's 2 lines from BT Business, one with broadband from Zen.

Sorry, wont be able to post a reply so TIA.
--
fred
Old June 19th 08, 10:12 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J

"fred" wrote in message ...
Someone recently wrote an excellent post on the exact process to follow to
initiate a simultaneous move of phone line and broadband but can I find
it?

I've found a few mentions of the subject but this one had a real step by
step approach, highlighting the possible pitfalls at each stage with
options to initiate from either BT or ISP.

Think the o/p might have been Graham, perhaps Jono.

If anyone has the post handy please post the subject line & author so I
can search again.

It's 2 lines from BT Business, one with broadband from Zen.

Sorry, wont be able to post a reply so TIA.
--
fred

on
26 October 2006 23:48 I worte the following answer:

The technical mechanisms involved are simple, but irrelevant. The sticking
point is the lack of administrative capability on the part of BT and your
ISP.

The correct way to do this is to apply for a "simultaneous move code" from
BT - at least a month in advance. BT should give you this immediately. You
then go to your ISP and tell them the code you received, together with your
move date.

One of three things will happen:

1) They will fail to understand what you want, so you should cancel the
contract and choose a competent ISP.

2) They will take the code and process it with BT. If you keep checking you
will find that the code has failed, and when you press them for an
explanation they will blame BT. When you go back to BT they will blame your
ISP, or perhaps offer some more meaningful explanation. Whatever, you will
try to repeat the process; and because you are busy with the administration
of moving house you will not have the hours to spend on the phone chasing
them up. If you ask either party to keep you informed of progress, neither
will do so.

3) It will all work as desired; you will move to the new location, plug in
your router, and have an active internet connection.

I leave you to guess which is the most likely scenario.

At step 1 I used to think that Zen was a competent ISP. Having seen this
process fail recently I have to say that Zen was as bad as any other ISP, in
that they did not keep us informed, and when asked, had no clue as to why
the process was not working.

Further, complaining to the:
BT Internet Operations Complaint Executive
Complaints Review Service
Tel - 0845 6002853
.... achieved nothing.

Nothing new there then!!

Is it any wonder that internet service provision has such a bad name in the
UK?

-------

More recently I have come to the view that the correct first step is to
approach one's ISP and expain the requirement for the simultaneous move.

I think it will only work if you own the destination number at least a week
before the scheduled move date.

--

Graham J