Is this a joke?

Old June 19th 08, 08:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Joker7

Default Is this a joke?

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/internetlicense/

Chris

--
Superb hosting & domain name deals http://dn-22.co.uk

Old June 19th 08, 10:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Cork Soaker

Joker7 wrote:
http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/internetlicense/

Chris

Sign it anyway, just in case.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/03/03/pc_tax/
Old June 20th 08, 07:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ivor Jones

In ,
Cork Soaker typed, for some strange,
unexplained reason:
: Joker7 wrote:
: http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/internetlicense/
:
: Chris
:
:
: Sign it anyway, just in case.
:
: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/03/03/pc_tax/

A joke or not, I can't take anyone seriously if they can't spell licence
properly.

Ivor

Old June 20th 08, 08:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

: Joker7 wrote:
: http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/internetlicense/
:
: Chris
:
:
: Sign it anyway, just in case.
:
: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/03/03/pc_tax/

A joke or not, I can't take anyone seriously if they can't spell licence
properly.

Ivor

the noun has an s, the verb has a c.

Now, who can't spell?
Old June 20th 08, 09:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
George Weston

: Joker7 wrote:
: http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/internetlicense/
:
: Chris
:
:
: Sign it anyway, just in case.
:
: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/03/03/pc_tax/

A joke or not, I can't take anyone seriously if they can't spell licence
properly.

Ivor

the noun has an s, the verb has a c.

Now, who can't spell?

You - it's the other way round!

George

Old June 20th 08, 09:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ivor Jones

In ,
The Natural Philosopher typed, for some strange, unexplained
reason:
: : Joker7 wrote:
: : http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/internetlicense/
: :
: : Chris
: :
: :
: : Sign it anyway, just in case.
: :
: : http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/03/03/pc_tax/
:
: A joke or not, I can't take anyone seriously if they can't spell
: licence properly.
:
: Ivor
:
: the noun has an s, the verb has a c.
:
: Now, who can't spell?

You can't, apparently. It's the other way around.

http://www.askoxford.com/concise_oed/licence?view=uk

Quote:

"We the undersigned petition the Prime Minister to Stop any plans of an
internet /license/ fee now and in the future."

Unquote.

Ivor

Old June 20th 08, 09:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
George Weston

http://www.askoxford.com/betterwriti...lling/?view=uk

Old June 20th 08, 10:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

On 19 Jun, 22:45, Cork Soaker wrote:
Joker7 wrote:
http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/internetlicense/

Chris

Sign it anyway, just in case.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/03/03/pc_tax/

The licence fee might have been justified when the BBC was the only
broadcaster, and only the relatively wealthy could afford a TV.

It has long since been unfair because there are now many channels to
watch, and the fee itself is more than the value of some viewers TV
sets.

But as it moves online, forcing UK computer owners to fund it, whether
they watch or not, at the same time as foreign users can watch for
free is completely unjustified.

A subscription model, so that anyone worldwide has to pay to watch,
seems a much fairer option.
Old June 20th 08, 11:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

: : Joker7 wrote:
[...]

Bugger. I 'll admit to that one. :-)
Old June 21st 08, 12:28 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve Terry

Joker7 wrote:
http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/internetlicense/

Chris

Sign it anyway, just in case.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/03/03/pc_tax/

The licence fee might have been justified when the BBC was the only
broadcaster, and only the relatively wealthy could afford a TV.

It has long since been unfair because there are now many channels to
watch, and the fee itself is more than the value of some viewers TV
sets.

But as it moves online, forcing UK computer owners to fund it, whether
they watch or not, at the same time as foreign users can watch for
free is completely unjustified.

A subscription model, so that anyone worldwide has to pay to watch,
seems a much fairer option.

Or the Australian model which is it's paid for out of general taxation.

Sounds better to me, otherwise the Gov will only spend it on bombing Afghans

Steve Terry