Print server and USB web cam?

Old June 20th 08, 06:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Harry Bloomfield

Default Print server and USB web cam?

I have an old USB web cam and a Netgear WGPS606 wireless print server
offering 4 wired LAN ports and 2x USB ports.

The USB ports are intended to allow 2x USB printers to be accessible
from the LAN, via wifi and the 4x LAN ports for PC's. You may remember
I used 1 of the 4 wired ports to allow an HP4000 to be used wirelessly
a few weeks ago via this server.

I now want to experiment with the possibilities of the USB ports on the
server. I have a USB camera plugged in right now - has anyone any idea
how I might progress further and perhaps see if any pictures are
available via this camera and the server?

The camera works perfectly via a direct USB connection to the PC, but I
have no idea how to check it via the server plus the wifi. I thinking
eventually of a USB weather station being (hopefully) able to place
it's data on my LAN, accessible to all my PC's.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Old June 20th 08, 10:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
k...
[...]

In the context of a network print server's USB port connecting to a printer,
in my experience this relies on the printer driver knowing how to send data
to a networked printer; either using the LPR protocol, or there being a
print server driver that knows how to translate information to the USB port.
Many USB printers therefore do not work this way.

You could try the http://www.belkin.com/networkusbhub/ which appears to
extend several USB ports across an ethernet connection. I have seen this
work with a Sharp printer which could not be driven from a print server.

Does the webcam have a driver that enables it to work when directly
connected to the PC's USB port? Does that driver allow the selection of
alternative ports - e.g. the print server?

--
Graham J