Anyone know reliable POP3 and auth SMTP email provider?

Old June 22nd 08, 10:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andrew Hodgson

Default Anyone know reliable POP3 and auth SMTP email provider?

Hi,

Based on my previous thread about friend going with dodgy broadband
company. I initially set them up with Gmail, however, there is mail
on the Gmail server which is not always popping into their Outlook
client.

Does anyone know a free or cheap email provider that doesn't require
your own domain, and provides POP and SMTP authenticated access?

Thanks.
Andrew.
Old June 22nd 08, 10:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gaz

Andrew Hodgson wrote:
Hi,

Based on my previous thread about friend going with dodgy broadband
company. I initially set them up with Gmail, however, there is mail
on the Gmail server which is not always popping into their Outlook
client.

Does anyone know a free or cheap email provider that doesn't require
your own domain, and provides POP and SMTP authenticated access?

Thanks.
Andrew.

Yahoo mail (sign up from the uk servers, as yahoo.com has pop access as a
chargable service) provides free pop and smtp access.

Gaz

Old June 22nd 08, 11:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
George Weston

"Gaz" wrote in message
Andrew Hodgson wrote:
Hi,

Based on my previous thread about friend going with dodgy broadband
company. I initially set them up with Gmail, however, there is mail
on the Gmail server which is not always popping into their Outlook
client.

Does anyone know a free or cheap email provider that doesn't require
your own domain, and provides POP and SMTP authenticated access?

Thanks.
Andrew.

Yahoo mail (sign up from the uk servers, as yahoo.com has pop access as a
chargable service) provides free pop and smtp access.

Gaz

Yep. Agreed. When I left BT and went to another ISP, I took up the offer of
Yahoo Premium Mail to keep the old email address working via POP3.
Cost = 1.50 per month, and it works.
Spam filtering is good too. Spam box is accessible by webmail for deletions,
etc.

George

Old June 23rd 08, 10:45 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PeeGee

George Weston wrote:
"Gaz" wrote in message
Andrew Hodgson wrote:
[...]

One problem I have had with Yahoo mail - and it may just be me as I use
different reply-to and from addresses - is that some e-mails I send
disappear into the ether. I have assumed, but not checked, that some
form of spam filtering at the recipient end is hyper-active and I've
only *know* of this happening with two addressees.

Otherwise, works well and, as you will see below, I use a special
address to trap and flag newsgroup spam :-)

--
PeeGee

The reply address is a spam trap. All mail is reported as spam.
to be removed from a computer easily."

Why do you rule out having your own domain? If you look at www.1and1.co.uk
you'll see that you could have a .co.uk domain for just 2.99/year and
Instant Mail for 81p/month, making a total yearly cost of 12.71 - and as a
satisfied customer of theirs for a couple of years now, I can well recommend
it.

Old June 23rd 08, 01:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Anthony Edwards

On Sun, 22 Jun 2008 22:24:03 +0100, Andrew Hodgson wrote:

Does anyone know a free or cheap email provider that doesn't require
your own domain, and provides POP and SMTP authenticated access?

Heart Internet, 2.49 per month + a one-off setup fee of 9.99
(includes new domain registration):

http://www.heartinternet.co.uk/starter-h.shtml

Technically excellent, good people also.

--
Anthony Edwards

Old June 23rd 08, 01:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Java Jive

Why not have an own domain? This can be obtained cheaply from a
hosting service as others have pointed out, but even more cheaply,
less than a four-can of beer per year, as just a forwarding service.

I use both web-site and email forwarding, aka redirection.

For example, if you follow this URL that I give out for my creative
work ...
http://www.macfarlane.macfh.co.uk
.... you'll be redirected to the real site hosted by my ISP ...
http://www.cemh.eclipse.co.uk/Macfar...acfarlane.html
.... and this URL for my support work ...
http://www.javajive.macfh.co.uk/
.... is redirected to ...
http://www.cemh.eclipse.co.uk/JavaJive/JavaJive.html
.... (actually the redirections go to the framed versions of these
pages, but I'd rather the unframed versions be the ones picked up by
search-engine crawlers parsing this newsgroup!)

I do the same with email addresses, so that in my email headers the
'Reply-To' header is different from the 'From' header.

Compared to independent website and mail hosting, the pros and cons
+ If your ISP already supplies free web space and emails as part of
the package, it's a *minimal* extra annual cost;
- If you do change ISPs you have to do some work ...
1 At the new ISP, republish your site and set up new emails
2 Change website/email redirections at the forwarding site
... but at least you don't completely lose everything, or need to
go round all your contacts and registered websites giving them all new
contact details for you;
- You can't deep link via redirection - for example, this URL
(without the crawler killer spaces) ...
http: // www . macfarlane . macfh . co . uk / Poetry / Poetry.html
.... would not be redirected automatically to ...
http://www.cemh.eclipse.co.uk/Macfar...ry/Poetry.html
.... I'd have to set up a redirection for each individual page to
achieve this.

So, not suitable for a business, but fine for someone like myself.

Why do you rule out having your own domain? If you look at www.1and1.co.uk
you'll see that you could have a .co.uk domain for just 2.99/year and
Instant Mail for 81p/month, making a total yearly cost of 12.71 - and as
a satisfied customer of theirs for a couple of years now, I can well
recommend it.

And you can get their Exchange service for about 5 a month on top, once you
do exchange, you wont go back.....

Though, i am going to jump in on MobileMe as soon as its launched....
'exchange for the rest of us'...

Gaz

Old August 3rd 08, 05:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Joe Bloggs

On Sun, 22 Jun 2008 22:49:31 +0100, "Gaz" wrote:

Andrew Hodgson wrote:
Hi,

Based on my previous thread about friend going with dodgy broadband
company. I initially set them up with Gmail, however, there is mail
on the Gmail server which is not always popping into their Outlook
client.

Does anyone know a free or cheap email provider that doesn't require
your own domain, and provides POP and SMTP authenticated access?

Thanks.
Andrew.

Yahoo mail (sign up from the uk servers, as yahoo.com has pop access as a
chargable service) provides free pop and smtp access.

Yahoo are so bloody afraid of being exploited by spammers that they've made the
signup process almost impossible. They require you to type in a combination of
letters and numbers to prove that you're not an automated robot. Trouble is,
they present the code in such a highly stylised form that I got it wrong six
times in a row and gave up in disgust.

No wonder they're in deep doodoo and ripe for takeover. There are so many free
email providers with simpler signups that they must be losing many punters.