Warning - Bullguard causes problems!

Old June 22nd 08, 11:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
George Weston

Default Warning - Bullguard causes problems!

Just a word of warning to anyone buying a computer from Mesh (or any other
computer supplier that bundles Bullguard Security).
I bought a new computer from Mesh for my daughter to replace her old one.
Yesterday, I spent all day setting it up, but couldn't get Internet Explorer
or Outlook Express to work.
I spent quite a bit of time on the phone to her ISP, doing various tests,
which showed that the computer was online and synching correctly. Pings
worked satisfactorily but no dice with activating email or the internet.
Today, I had a thought that Bullguard might be causing the problem. It was
uninstalled and immediately a connection with the internet and email was
established.
I can understand why computer manufacturers bundle software trial offers
with new computers. However, when they stop the computer from working
properly, this is unacceptable.

Rant over....

George

Old June 22nd 08, 11:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kráftéé

George Weston wrote:
[...]

The problem wasn't the security package the problem was that you didn't know
how to configure the package to allow IE or OE to work. Having a manual
would have helped but they seldom come with manuals nowadays

Old June 22nd 08, 11:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gizmo.

"kraftee" wrote in message
news
George Weston wrote:
[...]

The manual was probably online ;o)

Old June 22nd 08, 11:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
George Weston

"Gizmo." wrote in message

"kraftee" wrote in message
news
George Weston wrote:
[...]

Exactly!
And we didn't want Bullguard anyway.

George

Old June 23rd 08, 10:23 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Cork Soaker

George Weston wrote:
[...]

First thing you should do with any new computer (assuming you're not
limited by a ridiculous Microsoft license) is wipe it, and start from
scratch.
Old June 23rd 08, 01:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Arse Cork OK

On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 10:23:22 +0100, Cork Soaker wrote:

George Weston wrote:
[...]

Good idea - and don't forget to install 'trollkill'
Old June 23rd 08, 02:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Adrian C

Arse Cork OK wrote:

First thing you should do with any new computer (assuming you're not
limited by a ridiculous Microsoft license) is wipe it, and start from
scratch.

Nope. Find a Live CD distribution of Linux that boots straight into
FireFox and talks to the router. Insert CD into machine and superglue
the drive door shut. You may remove the HDD, Windows License and keep it
for yourself.

Then the machine is ready for anyone who just wants a fiddle with
Internet and Gmail, and is not tech savvy.

Happy faces all round ;-)

--
Adrian C
Old June 23rd 08, 03:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark

On Sun, 22 Jun 2008 23:57:38 +0100, "George Weston"
wrote:

"Gizmo." wrote in message

"kraftee" wrote in message
news
George Weston wrote:
[...]

Which is the main reason I never buy from the likes of Mesh etc.

If I don't want the hassle of setting up a PC I also do not want the
hassle of reinstalling windows to get rid of the cr*p put there by the
vendor.

--
(\__/) M.
See http://improve-usenet.org

Old June 23rd 08, 04:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jones

wrote:

George Weston wrote:
[...]

.......take a shotgun to it.
Old June 23rd 08, 05:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gaz

"kraftee" wrote in message
news
George Weston wrote:
[...]

I ahve found a few of the newer security suites that include firewalls seem
to be deliberatly awkward if you want to configure them yourself. Firewalls
with the newest norton, mcafee and AVG all seem to subsribe to the idea that
they know best. It can take quite a while to hunt out the necessary options
to open ports.

AVG 8 firewall is absolutely atrocious, it changes profiles back to defaults
following reboots, and blocks outlook express from sending or recieving
emails on secure ports....

Gaz