A 'little' ad-hoc problem - HELP!

Old July 10th 08, 05:17 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
GPG

Default A 'little' ad-hoc problem - HELP!

I have two wireless modem routers.

One is a Belkinn "ADSL Modem with Wireless-G Router", and the other is a
Linksys "Wireless-G ADSL Gateway WAG54GS with Speedbooster". Both work
perfectly well :-).

However, my wife has a "Vista home premium" machine, in her office
upstairs. A "Belkin G USB Network Adapter" worked fine to keep her
conneceted to our home network and, more importantly, to the Internet.
Suddenly it stopped working, and suspicion fell on Vista SP1 and its effect
on USB operations. Now I've even tried to a Procomm device. NO LUCK:-(.

It has occurred to me that the two routers, which don't use USB, could be
used to connect her to the network, by talking to eachother as it were. I
keep reading things about having to
set her's up in 'client' mode, and creating an 'ad-hoc' connection..
However, neither router mentions such abstruce terms.

Can anyone point me in the right direction here? I'd be ever so grateful.
I'm tired of struggling with this problem. Ethernet cable is undesirable,
and I'm not sure I want to purchase the hardware which works via the power
cables.

Yours in advance

GPG

Old July 10th 08, 06:50 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Klunk

On Thu, 10 Jul 2008 17:17:36 +0100, GPG passed an empty day by writing:

[...]

It may be off message, but I got this today:

"Many customers may be experiencing issues connecting to the internet. We
believe this is due to a recent Windows update which can conflict with
some security software. Customers unable to browse the internet should
try disabling their firewall and antivirus software temporarily."

--
begin oefixed_in_2005.exe
Old July 11th 08, 12:30 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Paul P

"Klunk" wrote in message
[...]

BAD ADVICE! Do not install the latest security update. It took a UK wide
network down toda at work. I also had to do a system restore to get my own
PCs working. Thanks Microsoft.

Old July 11th 08, 02:51 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Rob Morley

"GPG" wrote:

[...]

Some routers can be run in wireless client mode by loading custom
firmware called DD-WRT, but the WAG54GS doesn't seem to be one of
them. I haven't a clue about the Belkin. Are you sure it's a USB
problem and not a network problem?

Old July 16th 08, 07:13 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Clint Sharp

In message , Paul P
writes
BAD ADVICE! Do not install the latest security update. It took a UK wide
network down toda at work. I also had to do a system restore to get my own
PCs working. Thanks Microsoft.

Fools rush in...

--
Bill.