Recommend good reliable basic router?

Old July 12th 08, 02:01 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
G.Landon

Default Recommend good reliable basic router?

You guys were great about six months ago when I had just spent two whole
weeks trying to get a router working with my desktop and laptop.

But now, unfortunately, the router has died. It's not the adaptor. It's
definitely the router. Damned nuisance.

This time I don't want to buy a factory refurb which doesn't come with an
installation disc and documentation, because that'll only give me the grief
I had trying to install the last one - until you guys were able to help me
to get the thing to work. (But even then it took us about a week to trick
the thing into gear!)

What do you recommend?

I have a desktop (which will connect to the router via an ethernet cable)
and a laptop (with a wireless connection). The router needs to be beside
the desktop and the laptop will never be more than 8 metres away.

I don't know what made the last router die. It could have been some kind of
power surge. So if there's a router that comes buffered against attacks
like that, all the better!

Happy to order online or go pick up from Comet or Curry's. (Don't have any
other suppliers around this neck of the woods.)

I need something known to be reliable and long-lasting. Really don't want
to be plunged into this hell again for a good few years!

Thanks.

Old July 12th 08, 03:24 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Rob Morley

On Sat, 12 Jul 2008 14:01:09 +0100
"G.Landon" wrote:

[...]

Avoid Belkin, D-Link and (probably) Netgear. Currys list the Linksys
WRT54GR-UK for 40, which is probably a good bet and not ridiculously
expensive.

Old July 12th 08, 04:38 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
robert

This time I don't want to buy a factory refurb which doesn't come with an
installation disc and documentation, because that'll only give me the grief
I had trying to install the last one - until you guys were able to help me
to get the thing to work. (But even then it took us about a week to trick
the thing into gear!)

An installation disk isnt necessary and documentation is easy to
download from the website for Netgear products, though once you have
pointed your browser to the router/modem all the setup menus have good
help on them.
Old July 12th 08, 06:50 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Dr Zoidberg

"Rob Morley" wrote in message
news:[email protected]
Avoid Belkin, D-Link and (probably) Netgear. Currys list the Linksys
-RT54GR-UK for 40, which is probably a good bet and not ridiculously
expensive.

Why?
My Belkin has been fine for at least 4 if not 5 years and the one at my
dad's is now getting on for three and has been just fine.

I wouldn't rush to avoid any of the well known brands including the 4 you
mention.
There will be occasional faulty ones of all brands but no major widespread
issues.
--
Alex

"I laugh in the face of danger , then I hide until it goes away"

www.drzoidberg.co.uk

Old July 12th 08, 07:32 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Paul P

news:[email protected]
"G.Landon" wrote:

[...]

Why do you say to avoid those models? Is it because you don't have the
first
clue about computers and can only tell people how to get a router going if
it is the same model as the one you have?
I see many people like you claiming to be experts, but know very little.
Some
even run companies then come asking in this group for help and sell it on.

There is nothing wrong with Netgear routers, they are one of the easiest to
set
up. They also feature QoS if you want to google for that. Nothing wrong
with
DLINK either if you don't try updating it with the wrong firmware version!
Dlink has no UK support, but why would people ever need it? They are easy
to configure and get going. Most routers are. Belkin are OK too, never had
any
problems with them.

The person who posted the message will be back again in a few months saying
his new router is knackered. It's down to his error and/or misunderstanding
for
the router no longer working as it should. Unfortunately that is more
difficult to
address. So is your lack of knowledge.

You can tell a mile off when someone is a bit thick, they come to a
newsgroup
asking daft questions. Most would at least make the effort to look for
adverts
and prices of routers. The original message to me reads as, "I'm thick and
can't
set up a router - what do I do?".

Old July 12th 08, 07:37 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Paul P

"G.Landon" wrote in message
You guys were great about six months ago when I had just spent two whole
weeks trying to get a router working with my desktop and laptop.

You must be thick! It doesn't take two weeks, it takes 2 minutes.

But now, unfortunately, the router has died. It's not the adaptor. It's
definitely the router. Damned nuisance.

Why do you think it is the router? If you tell us what you have tried to
mess
about with we can tell you how to fix it in minutes. A denial that you have
broken it will mean you don't get help.

This time I don't want to buy a factory refurb which doesn't come with an
installation disc and documentation, because that'll only give me the
grief I had trying to install the last one - until you guys were able to
help me to get the thing to work. (But even then it took us about a week
to trick the thing into gear!)

You are definitely thick then if it took you two weeks to get the first one
going
and a further week to get the second one going! What is it you have
difficulty
in understanding apart from basic English?

What do you recommend?

Read the manual, then use the CD with the router. Or get an adult to help
you.

I have a desktop (which will connect to the router via an ethernet cable)
and a laptop (with a wireless connection). The router needs to be beside
the desktop and the laptop will never be more than 8 metres away.

I don't know what made the last router die. It could have been some kind
of power surge. So if there's a router that comes buffered against
attacks like that, all the better!

Power surge? Oh get a life, is that the new word for "I've messed with
settings"?

Happy to order online or go pick up from Comet or Curry's. (Don't have
any other suppliers around this neck of the woods.)

I need something known to be reliable and long-lasting. Really don't want
to be plunged into this hell again for a good few years!

You will for as long as you can't follow simple instructions!

Thanks.

Old July 12th 08, 08:39 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Rob Morley

To wind you up, ****.

Old July 12th 08, 09:55 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Mortimer

"Paul P" wrote in message

news:[email protected]
"G.Landon" wrote:

[...]

I find Netgear easy to set up (the menus are fairly intuitive). They also
have fault-logging so if the router fails to connect to broadband, you can
see the reason why - eg that it is bad username/password etc.

Dlink can be a bugger to set up and you seem to need to totally reboot the
router to make any config change. I don;t think they have fault-logging,
though I don't have recent experience of these (I think it's mainly the G604
that I've used) so things could have changed.

Linksys are good but in my experience they are susceptible to failure - it
is significant that although the majory of the routers that I install are
Netgear, out of the minorty of Linksys that I have been called to, a high
proportion have failed - either a transient failure needing a reboot or
positioning somewhere cooler, or a permanent failure of the ADSL modem -
this is for WAG54 routers, mainly.

Whatever router you go for, it must be able to display signal strength -
attenuation and noise margin - without these it is very difficult to
diagnose the cause of failure-to-connect-to-ADSL problems.

If you do go for the Netgear DG834 range (eg DG834G, GT, PN, N) I suggest
that you avoid the DG834N if you are using Belkin wireless adaptors: I have
had several cases where these cards have been unable to connect to the
router - in one case it was a total failure to establish a wireless
connection; in another case it connected and the PC could access the
internet but other PCs could not access the PC with the Belkin card.
Changing temporarily to a DG834G solved the problem, as did permanently
changing to a Netgear USB adaptor (the one that is advertised as being 100%
compatible with the N router - I think it's WN111).

For the record, my own DG834GT router is about four years old and has only
been rebooted about ten times - either due to power cut or else to moving it
elsewhere to test against a customer's router. It had given me faultless
service and provides excellent wireless coverage throughout my house.

But you may get other people saying that they prefer a different make of
router - they may be just as biassed as I am ;-)

Old July 13th 08, 08:59 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Gordy

I grabbed a 25 buffalo from ebuyer a few months back. Great little router
that runs 3rd party firmware (if you want it too). Some manufacturers
(linksys for example) have started crippling there products too make then
less desirable to hack meaning they take out lots of ram and flash memory :/

Any how my buffalo has been running fantasticly and i squeeze a lot of
trafic through it both wired and wireless. 2 pc's, a laptop, iphone and 2
consoles. Wireless is much more stronger and stable on this too then my old
Linksys wrt54g.

Gordy

Old July 13th 08, 09:47 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
PeeGee

Mortimer wrote:
[snip]

Linksys are good but in my experience they are susceptible to failure - it
is significant that although the majory of the routers that I install are
Netgear, out of the minorty of Linksys that I have been called to, a high
proportion have failed - either a transient failure needing a reboot or
positioning somewhere cooler, or a permanent failure of the ADSL modem -
this is for WAG54 routers, mainly.

I have no experience of Linksys, but my son said he wouldn't buy one
(when he worked for Cisco) as Cisco seem to look down on their "mass
market products".

[...]

I've used three different makes (Safecom/ebuyer, Zyxel and Netgear/sky)
and all performed reliably.

--
PeeGee

to be removed from a computer easily."