A Broadband and ADSL forum. BroadbanterBanter

Welcome to BroadbanterBanter.

You are currently viewing as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today.

Go Back   Home » BroadbanterBanter forum » Newsgroup Discussions » uk.comp.home-networking (UK home networking)
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

uk.comp.home-networking (UK home networking) (uk.comp.home-networking) Discussion of all aspects of computer networking in the home, regardless of the platforms, software, topologies and protocols used. Examples of topics include recommendations for hardware or suppliers (e.g. NICs and cabling), protocols, servers, and specific network software. Advertising is not allowed.

Local Profile on Remote Desktop.



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old July 15th 08, 10:11 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Steven Campbell
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3
Default Local Profile on Remote Desktop.

I have a PC under the stairs that I use as a file server. If I need to
access it I just use Remote Desktop Connection from my PC. However the last
few times I have tried to access it I am told it can't find my profile and
it will use a local profile or words to that effect. When this happens it
just gives me access to a plain desktop with no programs loaded.

Any time this has happened before I just reboot the PC and its back to
normal but I have rebooted half a dozen times now and I still can't get onto
my profile. Is there anything I can do to force this or why does this
happen?

Cheers

Steven.


















  #2  
Old July 21st 08, 02:24 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Anthony R. Gold
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 361
Default Local Profile on Remote Desktop.

On Tue, 15 Jul 2008 22:11:33 +0100, "Steven Campbell"
wrote:

I have a PC under the stairs that I use as a file server. If I need to
access it I just use Remote Desktop Connection from my PC. However the last
few times I have tried to access it I am told it can't find my profile and
it will use a local profile or words to that effect. When this happens it
just gives me access to a plain desktop with no programs loaded.

Any time this has happened before I just reboot the PC and its back to
normal but I have rebooted half a dozen times now and I still can't get onto
my profile. Is there anything I can do to force this or why does this
happen?


This is unclear. Which PC are you rebooting?

Anyway the profile in on the client computer and not on the server. It's a
file *.rdp and by default it's created and stored in the root of "My
Documents". If you save the password within the profile then the profile
file will have a hidden attribute. If your default user on the servers is
say Steven, then you will need to connect to the server using that name and
the Steven windows password if you want to see the Stephen desktop.

Tony
  #3  
Old July 21st 08, 03:49 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Rob Morley
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,379
Default Local Profile on Remote Desktop.

On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 14:24:06 +0100
"Anthony R. Gold" wrote:

Anyway the profile in on the client computer and not on the server.
It's a file *.rdp and by default it's created and stored in the root
of "My Documents". If you save the password within the profile then
the profile file will have a hidden attribute. If your default user
on the servers is say Steven, then you will need to connect to the
server using that name and the Steven windows password if you want to
see the Stephen desktop.

Does he say anywhere that the "file server" is anything other than a
PC running an SMB share? You seem to be assuming it's set up as a
domain controller.

  #4  
Old July 21st 08, 06:08 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Anthony R. Gold
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 361
Default Local Profile on Remote Desktop.

On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 15:49:59 +0100, Rob Morley wrote:

On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 14:24:06 +0100
"Anthony R. Gold" wrote:

Anyway the profile in on the client computer and not on the server.
It's a file *.rdp and by default it's created and stored in the root
of "My Documents". If you save the password within the profile then
the profile file will have a hidden attribute. If your default user
on the servers is say Steven, then you will need to connect to the
server using that name and the Steven windows password if you want to
see the Stephen desktop.

Does he say anywhere that the "file server" is anything other than a
PC running an SMB share? You seem to be assuming it's set up as a
domain controller.


I have no idea why you think that. I am assuming nothing more than that
the PC under the stairs is running the Windows Remote Desktop service.

Tony
  #5  
Old July 21st 08, 06:47 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Rob Morley
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,379
Default Local Profile on Remote Desktop.

On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 18:08:49 +0100
"Anthony R. Gold" wrote:

On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 15:49:59 +0100, Rob Morley
wrote:


Does he say anywhere that the "file server" is anything other than a
PC running an SMB share? You seem to be assuming it's set up as a
domain controller.


I have no idea why you think that.


Because I wasn't paying attention. I thought the profile referred to
was a roaming domain profile, not a remote desktop profile. :-)

I am assuming nothing more than
that the PC under the stairs is running the Windows Remote Desktop
service.

I see that now. IIRC earlier versions of Remote Desktop Client didn't
handle profiles like that.

  #6  
Old July 29th 08, 11:29 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Steven Campbell
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3
Default Local Profile on Remote Desktop.


"Rob Morley" wrote in message
news:[email protected]
On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 18:08:49 +0100
"Anthony R. Gold" wrote:

On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 15:49:59 +0100, Rob Morley
wrote:


Does he say anywhere that the "file server" is anything other than a
PC running an SMB share? You seem to be assuming it's set up as a
domain controller.


I have no idea why you think that.


Because I wasn't paying attention. I thought the profile referred to
was a roaming domain profile, not a remote desktop profile. :-)

I am assuming nothing more than
that the PC under the stairs is running the Windows Remote Desktop
service.

I see that now. IIRC earlier versions of Remote Desktop Client didn't
handle profiles like that.


Sorry guys for not replying sooner been away.
All seems to be well again after I rebooted both my PC and the PC under the
stairs after the 5th attempt or so. Not sure what caused it or cured it.

Cheers Anthony re the *.rdp in my documents. Never seen it before. I always
just go through the start menu. If it happens again I'll try just opening
the *.rdp file and see what happens.

Steven.


 




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Using remote desktop connection Stuart Turrell uk.comp.home-networking (UK home networking) 1 January 25th 05 09:16 PM
Remote Desktop connection Mark Perry uk.comp.home-networking (UK home networking) 10 December 3rd 04 04:06 AM
help: remote desktop Joe uk.comp.home-networking (UK home networking) 8 November 6th 04 03:42 AM
Remote Desktop Connection Muggy uk.comp.home-networking (UK home networking) 0 October 8th 04 02:03 PM
Remote Desktop over Satellite Metronet Support uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 1 August 22nd 03 08:25 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:40 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 2.4.0
Copyright 2004-2019 BroadbanterBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.