Elementary newbie question

Old July 16th 08, 06:06 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Ted

Default Elementary newbie question

This is probably a completely inane question.

I want to connect my pc to the internet through a cable
connected linksys wrt160n and then occasionally use a laptop
with a wireless connection to the internet via the linksys
when the pc is switched off.

When the laptop is off and the only connection to the
internet is through the pc cable connected linksys, is the
linksys still broadcasting?

Ted
Old July 16th 08, 06:21 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Chris Whelan

Ted wrote:

This is probably a completely inane question.

I want to connect my pc to the internet through a cable
connected linksys wrt160n and then occasionally use a laptop
with a wireless connection to the internet via the linksys
when the pc is switched off.

When the laptop is off and the only connection to the
internet is through the pc cable connected linksys, is the
linksys still broadcasting?

Ted

It would be possible for any suitably-equipped computer to connect to it, if
that's what you are asking.

Of course, encryption makes it virtually impossible for any data transfer to
take place.

If you are asking for a more obscure reason, (concern about the wireless
signal harming health perhaps), one slightly messy solution would be to use
a non-wireless modem/router in conjunction with a separate wireless access
point. You could then power down the AP when not needed.

Chris

--
Remove prejudice to reply.
Old July 16th 08, 06:25 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Adrian C

Ted wrote:
When the laptop is off and the only connection to the internet is
through the pc cable connected linksys, is the linksys still broadcasting?

Yes. But barely.

It will be having a chat with your neighbours WiFi equipment until they
(hopefully) mismatch your security passwords (WPA) and fail to connect.

You can reduce this activity by setting the "broadcast SSID" function to
"off" so they won't find your router (but ensure your laptop does
remember what SSID is in use!)

--
Adrian C
Old July 17th 08, 05:15 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Ted

Adrian C wrote:
Ted wrote:
When the laptop is off and the only connection to the internet is
through the pc cable connected linksys, is the linksys still
broadcasting?

Yes. But barely.

It will be having a chat with your neighbours WiFi equipment until they
(hopefully) mismatch your security passwords (WPA) and fail to connect.

You can reduce this activity by setting the "broadcast SSID" function to
"off" so they won't find your router (but ensure your laptop does
remember what SSID is in use!)

I just powered up my laptop for the first time without
having installed the wireless router and the laptop was
connected to the internet! I assume I was picking up someone
else's wireless network.

Ted

Old July 17th 08, 05:29 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Rob Morley

On Thu, 17 Jul 2008 17:15:41 +0100
Ted wrote:

I just powered up my laptop for the first time without
having installed the wireless router and the laptop was
connected to the internet! I assume I was picking up someone
else's wireless network.

Can you see a printer share? It would be responsible of
you to give them a clue how to secure their network.

Old July 17th 08, 06:10 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Ted

Ted wrote:

I just powered up my laptop for the first time without
having installed the wireless router and the laptop was
connected to the internet! I assume I was picking up someone
else's wireless network.

Can you see a printer share? It would be responsible of
you to give them a clue how to secure their network.

I really haven't got much of clue how to secure mine. How do
I see a printer share and what would it tell me about where
the leaking network is?

Ted

Old July 17th 08, 07:45 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Rob Morley

Ted wrote:

I just powered up my laptop for the first time without
having installed the wireless router and the laptop was
connected to the internet! I assume I was picking up someone
else's wireless network.

Can you see a printer share? It would be responsible of
you to give them a clue how to secure their network.

I really haven't got much of clue how to secure mine.

Just set up the encryption (WPA is more secure than WEP), limit
connection to specified MAC addresses (i.e. just your laptop, unless
you want to connect any other wireless devices), switch off SSID
broadcasting.

How do I see a printer share

Look in My Network Places - Windows Network (I think that's what it's
called, I haven't used Windows for a while).

and what would it tell me about where
the leaking network is?

It wouldn't, but you could print something on it. :-)

Old July 18th 08, 09:48 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Ted

Rob Morley wrote:

Just set up the encryption (WPA is more secure than WEP), limit
connection to specified MAC addresses (i.e. just your laptop, unless
you want to connect any other wireless devices), switch off SSID
broadcasting.

Sounds good. What exactly is it that is being encrypted?

How do I see a printer share

Look in My Network Places - Windows Network (I think that's what it's
called, I haven't used Windows for a while).

and what would it tell me about where
the leaking network is?

It wouldn't, but you could print something on it. :-)

If there were a number of unsecured wireless networks within
range, what would my wireless enabled (but currently
unconfigured 'out of the box' xp pro) laptop pick up all:
all of them them, the first one it found, the strongest signal?

Ted

Old July 18th 08, 10:26 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Rob Morley

On Fri, 18 Jul 2008 09:48:51 +0100
Ted wrote:

Rob Morley wrote:

Just set up the encryption (WPA is more secure than WEP),

Sounds good. What exactly is it that is being encrypted?

The data content of each packet sent over the wireless connection.
One other security measure I forgot to mention: change the SSID
that your router uses from the default to something obscure - hackers
may scan for default values as a quick way of finding networks that
have had SSID broadcast disabled (lots of hardware comes configured with
values like 'wireless', 'WLAN', 'linksys' etc.)

If there were a number of unsecured wireless networks within
range, what would my wireless enabled (but currently
unconfigured 'out of the box' xp pro) laptop pick up all:
all of them them, the first one it found, the strongest signal?

It will see any network that has SSID broadcast enabled, whether
they're secured or not, and offer you a choice of which to connect to.
I'm not sure if yours connected automatically because the one it found
was the only network, the only unsecured network, the first unsecured
network ... I tend to use manual network settings rather than relying
on stuff like the Zero Configuration option and DHCP.

Old July 18th 08, 10:42 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Adrian C

Ted wrote:

Rob Morley wrote:

Just set up the encryption (WPA is more secure than WEP),

Sounds good. What exactly is it that is being encrypted?

The data content of each packet sent over the wireless connection.
One other security measure I forgot to mention: change the SSID
that your router uses from the default to something obscure - hackers
may scan for default values as a quick way of finding networks that
have had SSID broadcast disabled (lots of hardware comes configured with
values like 'wireless', 'WLAN', 'linksys' etc.)

FWIW This is all covered (rather well) in the user guide which I've just
has a peek at. There is a "Wireless Security Checklist"

Also a link to http://www.linksys.com/security which features 'show me
how' tutorials.

Looks a competant bit of kit!

--