How stop wireless laptop hijacking the internet connection?

Old July 18th 08, 11:36 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
G.Landon

Default How stop wireless laptop hijacking the internet connection?

Hi guys.

The new NetGear router installed fairly easily on the PC (connected via
ethernet) and I was then using the internet immediately!

Then the wireless laptop was switched on and it indicated it had found the
wireless connection automatically (without me having done anything) and I
was able to access the internet immediately - although in "unsecure mode"
(if that means anything to you - it doesn't to me).

However, returning then to the PC it's internet connection had been lost!
It was AS IF the wireless laptop had hijacked it.

Anyway, the NetGear installation disc was then placed inside the laptop for
the first time and the Installation Wizard on it began. After a very few
keystrokes the wizard said it had done the job. I then noticed that the PC
was connected again to the internet. So something good appeared to have
been done!

However, this morning the wireless laptop was booted up first. It connected
to the internet. Later the PC was switched on . . . and again it had no
internet connection. The "Repair" function won't restore it.

What needs to be done so that both machines completely share the internet
and one doesn't hijack it from the other?

Thanks a lot.

Old July 18th 08, 12:08 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Conor

In article , G.Landon says...
[...]

Log into the Netgear, go to Wireless settings, enable WPA-PSK and type
in a password. That'll secure the network from anyone being able to
access it. When you connect to the wifi on each computer, it'll ask you
for the network key. Type in the password you put in the WPA-PSK
section of the router wifi config.

One computer can't "steal" the wifi from the other. Up to 254 PC's can
connect to a single wifi point simultaneously so nothing is stealing
anything.

--
Conor

looking good either. - Scott Adams
Old July 18th 08, 12:28 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Rob Morley

On Fri, 18 Jul 2008 11:36:55 +0100
"G.Landon" wrote:

[...]

Could be a DHCP problem - what are the settings on the router and the
two PCs?

Old July 19th 08, 04:24 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Paul P

"Conor" wrote in message
[...]

You should really be selecting WPA2&WPA so that the laptop uses WPA2 and
other devices only capable of WPA can still connect. It will offer both
WPA2 and WPA at the same time.
It's probably your neighbours using the connection for which you are held
responsible!

Old July 22nd 08, 03:32 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Chris Davies

Conor wrote:
Up to 254 PC's can connect to a single wifi point simultaneously [...]

Why that particular limit? (Are you confusing WiFi connections and /24
DHCP address allocations?)

Cheers,
Chris
Old July 22nd 08, 05:05 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Jeff Gaines

On 22/07/2008 in message Chris Davies
wrote:

Conor wrote:
Up to 254 PC's can connect to a single wifi point simultaneously [...]

Why that particular limit? (Are you confusing WiFi connections and /24
DHCP address allocations?)

All the WAPs I've seen have that limit.

--
Jeff Gaines Damerham Hampshire UK
It may be that your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others.