Web site for home networking?

Old July 19th 08, 11:22 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Len Cuff

Default Web site for home networking?

Does anyone know a good web site which will 'talk' you through setting
up a home network?

I was sure that www.practicallynetworking.co.uk was the one but looks
like that's all changed now.

TIA

cheers,
Len
Old July 19th 08, 11:54 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Rob Morley

On Sat, 19 Jul 2008 10:22:55 GMT
Len Cuff wrote:

Does anyone know a good web site which will 'talk' you through setting
up a home network?

I was sure that www.practicallynetworking.co.uk was the one but looks
like that's all changed now.

Searching Google for "how to set up a home network" (in quotes) returns
a Bristol University page as the first hit - the "Further Information"
links at the bottom seem to be quite helpful.
But why do you need the web when you have newsgroups? :-)

Old July 19th 08, 02:10 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Len Cuff

On Sat, 19 Jul 2008 11:54:31 +0100, Rob Morley
wrote:

On Sat, 19 Jul 2008 10:22:55 GMT
Len Cuff wrote:

Does anyone know a good web site which will 'talk' you through setting
up a home network?

I was sure that www.practicallynetworking.co.uk was the one but looks
like that's all changed now.

Searching Google for "how to set up a home network" (in quotes) returns
a Bristol University page as the first hit - the "Further Information"
links at the bottom seem to be quite helpful.
But why do you need the web when you have newsgroups? :-)

Rob,
It's not for me! I do this sort of thing as a job. It's for a
friend who is miles away, nor very IT literate and wants to set up a
small network. Just wanted a noddies guide to take him through it all
instead of spening hours on the phone !!

cheers,
Len
Old July 19th 08, 04:21 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Paul P

"Len Cuff" wrote in message
On Sat, 19 Jul 2008 11:54:31 +0100, Rob Morley
wrote:

On Sat, 19 Jul 2008 10:22:55 GMT
Len Cuff wrote:

Does anyone know a good web site which will 'talk' you through setting
up a home network?

I was sure that www.practicallynetworking.co.uk was the one but looks
like that's all changed now.

Searching Google for "how to set up a home network" (in quotes) returns
a Bristol University page as the first hit - the "Further Information"
links at the bottom seem to be quite helpful.
But why do you need the web when you have newsgroups? :-)

Rob,
It's not for me! I do this sort of thing as a job. It's for a
friend who is miles away, nor very IT literate and wants to set up a
small network. Just wanted a noddies guide to take him through it all
instead of spening hours on the phone !!

cheers,
Len

If he is so thick he can't Google for "setting up a network" himself then
there is no hope!

Old July 19th 08, 04:58 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Jeff Gaines

On 19/07/2008 in message Len
Cuff wrote:

It's not for me! I do this sort of thing as a job. It's for a
friend who is miles away, nor very IT literate and wants to set up a
small network. Just wanted a noddies guide to take him through it all
instead of spening hours on the phone !!

I put some notes together for another group:
http://www.jgaines.eu/html/networkin...computers.html

It may be a starting point for him?

--
Jeff Gaines Damerham Hampshire UK
There is no reason anyone would want a computer in their home.
Old July 19th 08, 06:47 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Clint Sharp

In message , Paul P
writes
If he is so thick he can't Google for "setting up a network" himself then
there is no hope!

Know what, I don't kill file many people because of their attitude (Hi
Conor) almost all of them post useful stuff quite often and after all
everyone has bad days but you're just a complete waste of skin with a
real bad attitude. I've not seen a single post from you that's been
polite or helpful.
Bye.

--
Clint Sharp
Old July 19th 08, 09:51 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Len Cuff

On Sat, 19 Jul 2008 16:21:48 +0100, "Paul P" wrote:

"Len Cuff" wrote in message
.. .
On Sat, 19 Jul 2008 11:54:31 +0100, Rob Morley
wrote:

On Sat, 19 Jul 2008 10:22:55 GMT
Len Cuff wrote:

[...]

And I thought the Newgroups were supposed to be "helpful" !
I'd just love to catch you out on a bad day AND we all have them!!

I just wonder what you did before you became so WONDERFUL!

REMBER we all have to start SOMEWHERE! Even the "THICKOS"

cheers,
Len
Old July 19th 08, 09:52 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Len Cuff

On Sat, 19 Jul 2008 16:21:48 +0100, "Paul P" wrote:

"Len Cuff" wrote in message
.. .
On Sat, 19 Jul 2008 11:54:31 +0100, Rob Morley

Old July 19th 08, 09:53 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Len Cuff

On Sat, 19 Jul 2008 20:51:53 GMT, Len Cuff
wrote:

On Sat, 19 Jul 2008 16:21:48 +0100, "Paul P" wrote:

"Len Cuff" wrote in message
. ..
On Sat, 19 Jul 2008 11:54:31 +0100, Rob Morley
wrote:

On Sat, 19 Jul 2008 10:22:55 GMT
Len Cuff wrote:

[...]

And even I post to the wrong reply !! Sorry Paul!!

cheers,
Len
Old July 19th 08, 09:57 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Len Cuff

"Len Cuff" wrote in message
On Sat, 19 Jul 2008 11:54:31 +0100, Rob Morley
wrote:

On Sat, 19 Jul 2008 10:22:55 GMT
Len Cuff wrote:

[...]

Deffo having a bad day!! That was to meant to say sorry Clint !!

cheers,
Len