Tight VNC with non static IP

Old July 21st 08, 02:55 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
M Jones

Default Tight VNC with non static IP

Hi all,

I use Tight VNC occasionally to connect to my home PC from work. My ADSL is
not a static type so I have to keep checking what my IP address is every
time I know I will want access to my machine from work. Does anybody know
of a way I can keep track of what my machine IP address is without resorting
to checking my router? I know one day without planning in advance I may
want access to find the IP has changed. Or perhaps there is an alterative
way to use Tight VNC without a staic IP?

Thanks.

Old July 21st 08, 03:15 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
deKay

Soni tempori elseu romani yeof helsforo nisson ol sefini ill des Mon, 21 Jul
uk.comp.home-networking, yawatina tan reek esk "M Jones"
fornis do marikano es bono tan el:

Hi all,

I use Tight VNC occasionally to connect to my home PC from work. My ADSL is
not a static type so I have to keep checking what my IP address is every
time I know I will want access to my machine from work. Does anybody know
of a way I can keep track of what my machine IP address is without resorting
to checking my router? I know one day without planning in advance I may
want access to find the IP has changed. Or perhaps there is an alterative
way to use Tight VNC without a staic IP?

http://www.no-ip.com/

Use the free version, install their app on your machine that periodically
updates them with your IP, and then use their provided subdomain to redirect
to your machine.

deKay
--
Lofi Gaming - http://lofi-gaming.org.uk
Gaming Diary - http://lofi-gaming.org.uk/diary
Old July 21st 08, 06:17 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
M Jones

"deKay" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks. I'll try that.

Old July 22nd 08, 12:08 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Dave Wade

"M Jones" wrote in message
Hi all,

I use Tight VNC occasionally to connect to my home PC from work. My ADSL
is not a static type so I have to keep checking what my IP address is
every time I know I will want access to my machine from work. Does
anybody know of a way I can keep track of what my machine IP address is
without resorting to checking my router? I know one day without planning
in advance I may want access to find the IP has changed. Or perhaps there
is an alterative way to use Tight VNC without a staic IP?

Thanks.

If you leave the PC logged in "logmein.com" may work. It needs an active x
on your office PC though

Old July 22nd 08, 09:35 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
M Jones

"deKay" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks. That works great!