Leave router switched on 24/7 ?

Old July 24th 08, 09:27 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Eddy

Default Leave router switched on 24/7 ?

I understand from reading lots of reviews and reports that the problem
some people have found with many routers is that they have overheated .
. and died. So while I have positioned mine upright and with plenty
of air around it, I am wondering if its not silly to leave it constantly
plugged in - with all its lights on and other parts receiving current
too. It's so much easier to leave it on all the time though.

I was wondering what most of you do.

Thanks.

Eddy.

Old July 24th 08, 09:37 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Chris Whelan

Eddy wrote:

I understand from reading lots of reviews and reports that the problem
some people have found with many routers is that they have overheated .
. . and died. So while I have positioned mine upright and with plenty
of air around it, I am wondering if its not silly to leave it constantly
plugged in - with all its lights on and other parts receiving current
too. It's so much easier to leave it on all the time though.

I was wondering what most of you do.

Thanks.

Eddy.

I had a Linksys that was on 24/7. It died. Its replacement gets turned off
every night. It's still OK.

There is no way to prove a connection between those two situations, but it's
so trivial to arrange sockets and extension leads so that you only need to
flick one switch to kill everything that it seems silly not to!

Chris

--
Remove prejudice to reply.
Old July 24th 08, 11:00 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Conor

In article , Eddy says...
I understand from reading lots of reviews and reports that the problem
some people have found with many routers is that they have overheated .
. and died. So while I have positioned mine upright and with plenty
of air around it, I am wondering if its not silly to leave it constantly
plugged in - with all its lights on and other parts receiving current
too. It's so much easier to leave it on all the time though.

I was wondering what most of you do.

Netgear DG834GT has currently been on 24/7 for just short of 3 years
save powercuts.

--
Conor

looking good either. - Scott Adams
Old July 24th 08, 02:22 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Mortimer

"Conor" wrote in message
In article , Eddy says...
I understand from reading lots of reviews and reports that the problem
some people have found with many routers is that they have overheated .
. and died. So while I have positioned mine upright and with plenty
of air around it, I am wondering if its not silly to leave it constantly
plugged in - with all its lights on and other parts receiving current
too. It's so much easier to leave it on all the time though.

I was wondering what most of you do.

Netgear DG834GT has currently been on 24/7 for just short of 3 years
save powercuts.

Likewise for my DG834GT.

I have had occasional problems with the modem part of the router: the DSL
light flickers continuously without corresponding Ethernet or wireless light
(so it's apparently not PC-internet traffic) and the noise margin drops by
about 1 dB, when normally it is stable to within +/- 0.1 dB. This seems to
go in phases and is cured by unplugging the DSL lead for a few seconds
before plugging it back in. Rebooting also helps.

I've had that symptom for a few hours maybe five or six times over the past
four years, with flawless service in between.

I notice that the white case of the router has a very pale brown patch on
it, as if somethng inside has overheated in the past, so I now stand it on a
disused hard disk cage from an old PC, to allow air to circulate underneath.

Old July 24th 08, 02:22 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Donald Campbell

In article , Eddy
writes
I understand from reading lots of reviews and reports that the problem
some people have found with many routers is that they have overheated .
. and died. So while I have positioned mine upright and with plenty
of air around it, I am wondering if its not silly to leave it constantly
plugged in - with all its lights on and other parts receiving current
too. It's so much easier to leave it on all the time though.

I was wondering what most of you do.

Thanks.

Eddy.

I look after about a dozen sites with Netgear DG834s. There are all on
24x7x365.

I have installed them into dozens more where I do not have a continued
liaison with the site, but again I am unaware of any that get turned
off.

Yes, I have had failures but not in the first 3 years. I swapped out
some of the original 834 earlier in the year that had been in continuous
operation for about 7 years.

My two ADSL routers do not get switched off, nor do any of my Netgear
switches.

BR
Don C

Old July 24th 08, 02:44 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Chris Davies

Eddy wrote:
I understand from reading lots of reviews and reports that the problem
some people have found with many routers is that they have overheated .
. and died.

Mine (a SAR110 aka Globespan Virata) stays on 24x7. My mother's one
(a Netgear of some flavour) keels over after about 2 days of continuous
uptime and has to be power-cycled. We've solved that problem by putting
it on a mains timer that switches it off from around midnight to 6am
each night. Saves a little power, too.

Chris
Old July 24th 08, 03:55 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Adrian C

Eddy wrote:
It's so much easier to leave it on all the time though.

I've just installed a Sky broadband service for someone. The manual for
the Sagem router states the advantage of the power switch - in that the
item can be switched off when not in use to reduce the carbon footprint.

If the person I've just installed the modem did that and lost the
connection or had something else go wrong,. I'd dump a whole lot of
carbon into the atmosphere just going over to their place to fix it.

So on it stays ...

--
Adrian C
Old July 24th 08, 05:41 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Eddy

Thanks for all responses up till now. Good to hear that NetGears are
surviving 3 years while being on 24/7.

However, the idea of installing a timer between the router's adaptor and
the socket sounds like a good one, to give it at least 8 hours' rest a
day.

I don't suppose it aggravates or slowly damages a router to switch its
power off every night, does it? At the moment I have my motherboard,
monitor, and phone plugs (the ones that must all be on at the same time)
arranged in surge protector so that each monring I just turn on the
tower & the monitor. I guess having to flick the surge-protector's
switch too wouldn't be too much of a burden. What I fear is the router
not finding all those precious settings each morning and giving me hell!

Eddy.

Old July 24th 08, 06:30 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Rob Morley

On Thu, 24 Jul 2008 17:41:34 +0100
Eddy wrote:

Thanks for all responses up till now. Good to hear that NetGears are
surviving 3 years while being on 24/7.

However, the idea of installing a timer between the router's adaptor
and the socket sounds like a good one, to give it at least 8 hours'
rest a day.

I don't suppose it aggravates or slowly damages a router to switch its
power off every night, does it?

I think electronic equipment is more likely to exhibit failure at
start-up than any other time, either because of current surge or
because a contact or component has developed a fault that doesn't
show up when it's warm.

Old July 24th 08, 06:38 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Bernard Peek

In message , Eddy
writes
Thanks for all responses up till now. Good to hear that NetGears are
surviving 3 years while being on 24/7.

However, the idea of installing a timer between the router's adaptor and
the socket sounds like a good one, to give it at least 8 hours' rest a
day.

I'm considering a change to the systems here. I'm currently running a PC
and router 24x7, the PC is used as a file-server. What I am thinking of
doing is to use the BIOS settings to wake the server up early in the
morning and program it to shut down automatically at night. If I plugged
the server and other stuff into a smart power-strip I could get the
router and printer etc to switch off at the same time.

There is always the possibility that the server won't reconnect when
it's powered up, but that's never happened yet.

--
Bernard Peek
London, UK. DBA, Manager, Trainer & Author.