Well I tried

Old July 27th 08, 06:06 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Ted

Default Well I tried

I eventually had a go at setting up my wireless network but
it turned out a complete failure and I wound up unplugging
it all and going back to where I started from.

I couldn't get an internet connection at all on the pc cable
connected to the wireless router. On the laptop, I could
pick up a few networks, one of which seemed to be mine as it
was showing as unsecured whereas the others were showing as
secured (plus other network stuff unrelated to me). I
couldn't find any way of restricting the connection on my
laptop to my wireless router nor could I find any way of
securing the connection on the laptop - I clicked on just
everything that seemed likely but no joy. A complete fiasco!

Ted
Old July 27th 08, 06:19 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
robert

Ted wrote:
On the laptop, I could pick up a few networks,
one of which seemed to be mine as it was showing as unsecured whereas
the others were showing as secured (plus other network stuff unrelated
to me).

First thing is to connect to your router via the cable, login as admin,
change the password and give your network a name you can recognise but
which doesnt reveal your name or address ie dont use "Brownatno10".

You also need to get the internet connection via the router working for
your pc or laptop via the network cable before trying the wireless.
Old July 27th 08, 11:15 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Anthony R. Gold

On Sun, 27 Jul 2008 18:19:09 +0100, robert wrote:

give your network a name you can recognise but
which doesnt reveal your name or address ie dont use "Brownatno10".

Why is that? Will someone follow along the radio waves and rob your home?
Will announcing the location of the AP make the network any more hackable?
I read so much paranoid stuff like this that I wonder what is on the minds
of those who spread it and so I am moved to ask.

Tony
Old July 28th 08, 08:31 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
robert

Anthony R. Gold wrote:
On Sun, 27 Jul 2008 18:19:09 +0100, robert wrote:

give your network a name you can recognise but
which doesnt reveal your name or address ie dont use "Brownatno10".

Why is that? Will someone follow along the radio waves and rob your home?
Will announcing the location of the AP make the network any more hackable?
I read so much paranoid stuff like this that I wonder what is on the minds
of those who spread it and so I am moved to ask.

Tony

With reflection I am converted - but I do not feel comfortable embedding
more personal details than necessary in email addresses and other
transmitted information.

However I would also suggest turning off the SSID broadcast.
Old July 28th 08, 10:43 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Ric

On 27 Jul, 23:15, "Anthony R. Gold" wrote:
On Sun, 27 Jul 2008 18:19:09 +0100, robert wrote:
give your network a name you can recognise but
which doesnt reveal your name or address *ie dont use "Brownatno10".

Why is that? *Will someone follow along the radio waves and rob your home?
Will announcing the location of the AP make the network any more hackable?
I read so much paranoid stuff like this that I wonder what is on the minds
of those who spread it and so I am moved to ask.

Tony

Why would you want to put personally-identifiable info in given the
choice?
Sure, it probably won't hurt, but it definitely won't hurt if you
don't.
I can think of a couple of scenarios - people turning off routers when
they're out or on holiday, for example, might give someone a clue you
weren't at home. Sniffing ethernet traffic might reveal emails that
did similar.
Just call it something memorable but cryptic.

To the OP: get it working with a cable first, then sort out the
wireless.
Find the IP address of your router by start..run..cmd and typing
"ipconfig /all". note the gateway address numbers, and in internet
explorer type in http://your.gateway.ip and hit enter. You should be
asked to login to your router. Check the username/password settings
and if you're not sure ring up your ISP whilst you're logged in and
ask them.
Once you've got a wired connection working, you can setup the
wireless. Get it working without encryption and then turn on WPA and
pick a password.

Ric
Old July 29th 08, 03:10 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Ted

robert wrote:
Ted wrote:
On the laptop, I could pick up a few networks, one of which seemed to
be mine as it was showing as unsecured whereas the others were showing
as secured (plus other network stuff unrelated to me).

First thing is to connect to your router via the cable, login as admin,
change the password and give your network a name you can recognise but
which doesnt reveal your name or address ie dont use "Brownatno10".

You also need to get the internet connection via the router working for
your pc or laptop via the network cable before trying the wireless.

I made the various name changes but couldn't get an internet
connection on the pc when the pc was connected to the
wireless router by cable. However, I could get a wireless
connection on the laptop (a few networks!) but I couldn't
get the connection secured.

Ted
Old July 29th 08, 11:54 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Clint Sharp

In message , Anthony R. Gold
writes
Why is that? Will someone follow along the radio waves and rob your home?

It announces that you have a PC or laptop which makes your home worth a
punt, after all the scrotes use mobile phones to hunt bluetooth enabled
sat nav and other electronics in car parks. Plenty of WiFi enabled
mobiles kicking around now so it's just a matter of time if it's not
happening already.
Will announcing the location of the AP make the network any more hackable?

Unlikely if it's been configured properly.
I read so much paranoid stuff like this that I wonder what is on the minds
of those who spread it and so I am moved to ask.

It's easy, having family in the police force and knowing (reformed I
might add) people who's prior occupations involved relieving people of
their possessions, makes you realise that little tips like that are
worth knowing because it's so simple to fix (if you were daft enough)

Tony

--
Clint Sharp
Old July 30th 08, 12:07 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Mortimer

"Ted" wrote in message
robert wrote:
Ted wrote:
On the laptop, I could pick up a few networks, one of which seemed to be
mine as it was showing as unsecured whereas the others were showing as
secured (plus other network stuff unrelated to me).

First thing is to connect to your router via the cable, login as admin,
change the password and give your network a name you can recognise but
which doesnt reveal your name or address ie dont use "Brownatno10".

You also need to get the internet connection via the router working for
your pc or laptop via the network cable before trying the wireless.

I made the various name changes but couldn't get an internet connection on
the pc when the pc was connected to the wireless router by cable. However,
I could get a wireless connection on the laptop (a few networks!) but I
couldn't get the connection secured.

Can I check: is your first sentence talking about a different PC to the
second sentence?

If so, it looks as if you have two different problems. Let's consider them
separately.

1. PC connected to by Ethernet cable. This ought to work without any
configuration, providing that the PC hasn't been set to use a static IP
address. Check first that the router has a status light for the port that
the cable is plugged into (typically the port and its corresponding light
are numbered 1-4); the ethernet post on the PC may also have a status light.
If these are not lit, you may have a problem with the router or PC card or
the cable. Assuming that the lights are OK, see what ipconfig and ping
report (see below for details of these tests).

2. The PC which is connected by wireless can connect to the router but you
are having problems with an encrypted connection. First of all, let me check
that you understand that encryption is turned on at the *router* not at the
PC: having gone into the router's config page and enabled (for example)
WPA-PSK encryption (*) with a suitable neywork key (password), the PC will
detect that it is now dealing with an encrypted network and will prompt for
the key to be entered; having done this once, the PC will remember it and
will not prompt for it again.

Ipconfig/ping tests:

a) Start | Run | cmd - a black window with white writing will appear
b) In that window, type "ipconfig" [press the enter key] (without the double
quotes). This should display something like

Windows IP Configuration

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :

c) In the same window, type "ping 192.168.0.1" [enter] - alter the four
numbers if necessary to match those listed as Default Gateway in the output
of ipconfig. This should give the response

Pinging router [192.168.0.1] with 32 bytes of data:

Ping statistics for 192.168.0.1:

d) type "ping news.bbc.co.uk" [enter] which should give the same response
but with address 212.58.226.8; the "time" values may also be larger, around
15-30 ms.

If these tests fail, post what response you get and one of us will try to
diagnose the response.

(*) Enabling wireless security

The exact details will vary from one router to another, but typically you
use Internet Explorer or Firefox to browse to a "web site" 192.168.0.1
(modifiy this value to match the Default Gateway value given by ipconfig)
and then go through the menus to find the Wireless menu and then Security.
Tell us the make of router and we can give more specific instructions.

Old July 30th 08, 05:30 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Ted

Mortimer wrote:

Thanks for your input. Comments inline

"Ted" wrote in message
robert wrote:
Ted wrote:
[...]

There is only one pc and one laptop. The desired result is a
wired connection to the pc (as it happens, the pc mobo has a
wireless connector but it is turned off) and a secured
wireless connection to the laptop. The router is a WRT 160N.

If so, it looks as if you have two different problems. Let's consider them
separately.

1. PC connected to by Ethernet cable. This ought to work without any
configuration, providing that the PC hasn't been set to use a static IP
address. Check first that the router has a status light for the port that
the cable is plugged into (typically the port and its corresponding light
are numbered 1-4); the ethernet post on the PC may also have a status light.
If these are not lit, you may have a problem with the router or PC card or
the cable. Assuming that the lights are OK, see what ipconfig and ping
report (see below for details of these tests).

All the lights seemed to be flashing in the right places at
the right time so I am reasonably confident the problem lies
with a software configuration rather than hardware. I
checked ipconfig but can't recall the output - I didn't try
pinging anything.

I have another go at setting it up and see what happens. It
is time consuming and laborious to access the cabling at the
back of my pc due to the tight space in which it sits -
moving it in and out doesn't do my back any good either!

[...]

I think the router ip was 192.168.1.1 but I can't recall if
that matched the gateway value. I accessed the configuration
panel via the browser and turned on wpa2. However, when I
turned the laptop on a connection was showing (a few
connections actually) but mine was showing as unsecured. I
couldn't find a way of turning on wpa2 on the laptop (I
assume that is what is needed to make a secure connection?).

However, as I couldn't get an internet connection on the pc
through the wireless router, I've now reverted back to a
standard wired modem connection.

I'll have another go on Thurs afternoon, or failing that,
Friday morning and see what happens. Again, thanks for your
input.

Ted