Anyone used FreeNAS?

Old July 28th 08, 11:28 AM posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.comp.home-networking
Ric

Default Anyone used FreeNAS?

Hi All,
I want to play with mirroring fair chunk of data across town between
mine and a mate's house.
We're both on ADSL so our upstream speed's not brilliant, but
nevermind.
I was planning on setting up a FreeNAS box at one end, possibly
eventually at both, and filling it from the pile of hard disks I have
lying around.

Anyone got any hands-on experience of doing this?
In terms of doing the sync, can you Rsync over FTP or am I going to
have to setup a VPN?
I'm presuming in terms of remote admin SSH is the way to go?

Presuming I do an initial local sync and then just manage the deltas
sync over the internet I'd hope performance would be slow but
acceptable...

Ric
Old July 28th 08, 12:02 PM posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.comp.home-networking
Philip Herlihy

Ric wrote:
Hi All,
I want to play with mirroring fair chunk of data across town between
mine and a mate's house.
We're both on ADSL so our upstream speed's not brilliant, but
nevermind.
I was planning on setting up a FreeNAS box at one end, possibly
eventually at both, and filling it from the pile of hard disks I have
lying around.

Anyone got any hands-on experience of doing this?
In terms of doing the sync, can you Rsync over FTP or am I going to
have to setup a VPN?
I'm presuming in terms of remote admin SSH is the way to go?

Presuming I do an initial local sync and then just manage the deltas
sync over the internet I'd hope performance would be slow but
acceptable...

Ric

For different purposes (uploading large websites) I've used robocopy
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robocopy) with WebDrive
(www.webdrive.com). WebDrive mounts any FTP server as a local drive, so
network-enabling any and every file-aware utility.

Robocopy has a wealth of facilities including mirroring, and automatic
background running on a schedule. Tip: to learn robocopy, run a simple
command copying from one folder to another using the /L (no actual
copying) flag, and also the /save:myjob and /Quit flags. That'll give
you a saved "jobfile" which you can edit to add new options. Robocopy
hugely rewards the effort of learning it. Note the /MIR command can
delete files at the destination - caution!

Recent versions of Webdrive have a basic mirroring facility built-in,
and these days that's all I need to use for websites.

As I write this, it's just dawned on me that you're talking Unix: sorry
for my Windows accent...

I see from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freenas that FreeNAS has an
Rsync interface built-in.

Phil, London
Old July 28th 08, 07:17 PM posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.comp.home-networking
Alex Fraser

Ric wrote:
I want to play with mirroring fair chunk of data across town between
mine and a mate's house.

[snip]
Anyone got any hands-on experience of doing this?
In terms of doing the sync, can you Rsync over FTP or am I going to
have to setup a VPN?

No experience of FreeNAS, but some of rsync.

The most sensible method in this case is to run rsync over ssh, using
passwordless certificates for authentication.

I'm presuming in terms of remote admin SSH is the way to go?

Possibly. You can use ssh port forwarding to secure a web connection
(and get through firewall), which might be useful to get to web admin.

Presuming I do an initial local sync and then just manage the deltas
sync over the internet I'd hope performance would be slow but
acceptable...

rsync is pretty quick to work out there is nothing to do, so it really
depends on how much the data changes.

Alex
Old July 28th 08, 08:28 PM posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.comp.home-networking
Bruce Stephens

Alex Fraser writes:

[...]

rsync is pretty quick to work out there is nothing to do, so it really
depends on how much the data changes.

Also how many files you have. If you have a ridiculous number you may
find that rsync spends a large amount of time just finding out that
the list of files isn't different.
Old July 28th 08, 08:44 PM posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.comp.home-networking
Jaimie Vandenbergh

On Mon, 28 Jul 2008 20:28:28 +0100, Bruce Stephens
wrote:

Alex Fraser writes:

[...]

rsync is pretty quick to work out there is nothing to do, so it really
depends on how much the data changes.

Also how many files you have. If you have a ridiculous number you may
find that rsync spends a large amount of time just finding out that
the list of files isn't different.

Whatever you use will have to traverse the whole set of files, unless
it only does full backups rather than incrementals.

Cheers - Jaimie
--
I was most impressed when I looked up into the London sky and saw
a star through all the light pollution. A few of us checked some
Old July 28th 08, 09:33 PM posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.comp.home-networking
Alex Fraser

Bruce Stephens wrote:
Alex Fraser writes:

[...]

rsync is pretty quick to work out there is nothing to do, so it really
depends on how much the data changes.

Also how many files you have. If you have a ridiculous number you may
find that rsync spends a large amount of time just finding out that
the list of files isn't different.

Yes; I should have said that it is about as quick as you can
realistically get. The significant features are that it does the process
at both ends simultaneously and transmits the list efficiently. (I
haven't tried the "incremental scanning" mode of recent rsync, it may
not be quite so good if the files are mostly unchanged.)

If the number of files is very large (actually, I think the number of
directories is a better metric), then yes, it will take a while. But we
are talking about processing many tens of thousands of unchanged files
per minute, for a consumer hard drive.

Alex
Old July 28th 08, 10:04 PM posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.comp.home-networking
Bruce Stephens

Jaimie Vandenbergh writes:

On Mon, 28 Jul 2008 20:28:28 +0100, Bruce Stephens
wrote:

[...]

Also how many files you have. If you have a ridiculous number you may
find that rsync spends a large amount of time just finding out that
the list of files isn't different.

Whatever you use will have to traverse the whole set of files, unless
it only does full backups rather than incrementals.

It has to traverse them, yes, but IIRC rsync could do better when
communicating the names over its protocol.