Network Cabling

Old July 28th 08, 12:17 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking

Default Network Cabling

I presently have an adslnation filtered faceplate on the BT socket in
one bedroom and have my router plugged in to that and my PC connects
wirelessly to it ...I have a cordless base phone plugged in to it as
well and a couple other cordless phones elsewhere around my flat . I'm
not all that impressed with wireless,possible because this is an old
building with thick brick walls and was intending installing Cat 5
cable ,while some boards are still up.
I'm assuming that it's basically a case of getting enough cable( or a
made up length and removing the plug(s) ) and enough Cat 5 sockets (
I'm only thinking of one in bedroom and other in living room as these
are only likely places I'll have a computer) and connecting from the
BT socket to the first box then on to the second and bobs your uncle
or is there a better way of doing it .The router has several Ethernet
connections on the back of it .
Stuart
Old July 28th 08, 05:47 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
robert

I'm
not all that impressed with wireless,possible because this is an old
building with thick brick walls and was intending installing Cat 5
cable ,while some boards are still up.

I have thick stone walls in a 3 storey town house.
I find that with the wireless router sited under the stairs I get good
coverage throughout the house and in the backyard.

But I ran Cat5 everywhere while renovating, buy a reel of it and run 1
or 2 cables everywhere while you can. A proper tool for pushing it into
the contacts on the sockets is well worth it.
Old July 28th 08, 06:17 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Bernard Peek

In message ,
writes
[...]

If you are going to be lifting the floorboards then you could lay CAT6
cable everywhere, even if you don't currently plan to need sockets in
those areas. Extra cable is cheap compared with the hassle of lifting
floorboards again to put in another cable. Even better, lay conduit with
some string in it in case you ever want to lay a different cable.

But unless you need high speed PC-to-PC connections cable is probably an
overkill. Either use the newest 802.11n wifi to get better wifi
transmission or try powerline networking over the existing mains cables.

--
Bernard Peek
London, UK. DBA, Manager, Trainer & Author.

Old July 29th 08, 04:06 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking

On Tue, 29 Jul 2008 06:22:18 +0100, Rob Morley
wrote:

On Mon, 28 Jul 2008 12:17:15 +0100
wrote:

I'm assuming that it's basically a case of getting enough cable( or a
made up length and removing the plug(s) ) and enough Cat 5 sockets

Note that patch leads are usually multi-stranded, so you can't use the
cable with the punch-down connectors in standard wall sockets.

I've ordered some cat5 solid core cable and wall sockets so might as
well do it while boards are up .Thx all