Wireless Networking Problem

Old July 29th 08, 10:54 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Chris

Default Wireless Networking Problem

I have a home wireless set up using a Linksys Access Point (WAP54G-UK) which
has worked fine for a couple of years supporting 3 x laptops plus a
desktop - all running XP
One laptop has now stopped working - reports No Wireless Networks in Range.
Thought the internal wireless module may have failed (Actiontec Prism)
though Network Troubleshooter says everything is working normally.
Installed a new PCMCIA card (Zyxel G-120) - all appeared to install OK but
still reporting "No Wireless Networks in Range). Borrowed a USB wireless
card (Inventel) and it works perfectly. Signal strength shows as near
maximum (the laptop is sited only a few feet from the Access Point) and it
can see several networks as well as my own.
Any suggestions as to how to identify what is wrong with my internal and
PCMCIA wireless ?

Chris

Old July 30th 08, 12:11 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Mortimer

"Chris" wrote in message
[...]

It does look as if the laptop adaptor is having problems. What is odd is
that this also affects a PCMCIA card as well as the built-in one. Try using
the laptop near a different router (if you have access to one) to see
whether this makes any difference. Have a look in Control Panel | Network
and see if the entries for the internal and PCMCIA cards are enabled. Also
look in Control Panel | System | Devices | Device Manager to see if there is
any problem with these cards - it would show up as a cross or a eclamantion
mark by the entry for the card.

Old July 30th 08, 01:50 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
William4

"Chris" wrote in message
[...]

802.11a/b/g/n ?? Try it on legacy, any different?
Channel being used?

- Given I can't tell what each of your clients & server are capable of nor
set to.

Old July 30th 08, 02:05 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
William4

Re-think.

WEP/WPA-WPA2 ??

Old July 30th 08, 04:24 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Chris

"William4" wrote in message
Re-think.

WEP/WPA-WPA2 ??

Inbuilt adapter is 802.11b, PCMCIA and the USB adapters are both g
Using WEP 128 bit on Channel 11.
Device manager thinks they are OK - i.e. status box says "This device is
working properly" for each

USB adapter sees my network and several other ones in the vicinity