Is it possible to connect 3 ethernet LANS together using wifi AccessPoints?

Old August 6th 08, 04:56 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking

Default Is it possible to connect 3 ethernet LANS together using wifi AccessPoints?

Hi

I've had a look and can't find the aswer to this question...

I have three areas in an open plan office.

Each area has 3 ethernet capable XP PCs but are not yet networked.

One PC in one of the areas has a broadband internet connection. The
intention is to give all PC's in the three areas access to the
internet.

I cannot wire cables between the 3 areas (I am not allowed to as it
is
a historic building). So I thought that maybe I could connect them
using wireless access points with integral ethernet hubs? (or do I
need wireless routers?)

Is this possible? If so what kind of setup would I need to do?

As far as the internet connection is concerned I thought that if I
were to install an additional ethernet adapter in the PC with the
broadband connection and then bridge the connections in windows?

Will this fly? if not any other ideas? What about power-line
networking?

TIA

Martin
Old August 6th 08, 05:13 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Bernard Peek

In message
,
writes
Hi

I've had a look and can't find the aswer to this question...

I have three areas in an open plan office.

Each area has 3 ethernet capable XP PCs but are not yet networked.

One PC in one of the areas has a broadband internet connection. The
intention is to give all PC's in the three areas access to the
internet.

When you say one PC has Internet access do you mean that it has an ADSL
modem attached, presumably using USB?

I cannot wire cables between the 3 areas (I am not allowed to as it
is
a historic building). So I thought that maybe I could connect them
using wireless access points with integral ethernet hubs? (or do I
need wireless routers?)

That's one way, more traditionally you would use a single WAP and fit
each PC with a wifi card. It all depends on just how large the building
is and the thickness of any intervening walls. Wifi signals won't go
through metre-thick stone walls. We need a bit more information about
the site.

Is this possible? If so what kind of setup would I need to do?

As far as the internet connection is concerned I thought that if I
were to install an additional ethernet adapter in the PC with the
broadband connection and then bridge the connections in windows?

That's fine until the machine gets shut down or rebooted. By far the
best way of doing this is to use a separate ADSL router with one or more
network ports. If all of the PCs are within range of the AP on the
router then individual wireless cards in each PC is probably adequate.

If the AP range extends into each area but doesn't cover the whole area
then an AP, a small switch and some cable will work.

Will this fly? if not any other ideas? What about power-line
networking?

That may work depending on how the place is wired. But if there is mains
wiring then there may be a way to run network cables too. It is
possible, using the right cable, to run network cables along external
walls. That may open up more options.

That's as much help as I can offer. I would need more information about
the site to help more. You also need to consider whether any of the PCs
will be moving lots of data around. Wifi networks share bandwidth and
several machines all transferring multi-gigabyte files around could
cause problems.

--
Bernard Peek
London, UK. DBA, Manager, Trainer & Author.

Old August 6th 08, 05:17 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking

P.S. I know that this sounds like a business question and this is a
"home networking" group...

.... but the organisation I am working for on a voluntary basis for the
next 5 months is a charity working for disabled children out here in
the Philippines. It is not a business and really is a very "homely"
environment. ;-)
Old August 7th 08, 02:47 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Rob Morley

On Wed, 6 Aug 2008 08:56:09 -0700 (PDT)
wrote:

[...]

Use a wireless router to maintain the Internet connection, and connect
the closest PCs to the router using wired Ethernet. For the other two
groups of PCs there are several options, but I think the neatest is to
connect them to a mini Ethernet hub and use a wireless Ethernet bridge
(which could be a WAP that can run in bridging mode) to connect each
hub to the router.