HP Smartmedia - Windows Home Server

Old August 12th 08, 06:52 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,comp.os.ms-windows.networking.misc
Jack Ouzzi

Default HP Smartmedia - Windows Home Server

Hi,

Just recently bough myself a HPSmartMedia Window Home Server, a fairly
cool bit of kit for use on my 2 desktop 1 laptop network.

Must admit I don’t ‘quite’ grasp the concept of open ports and remote
access suffice to say ‘open’ = not good as bad bloke can get in and do
nasties to your PC/network.

A port scan (I know not THAT reliable) show all my ports as invisible
and secure (shields up – grc.com = others) I do however occasionally
wish to access my PC remotely to get at files and folders stored
there.

When I open up access here at home on the server on ‘secure’ port 443
(forwarded in my router) I can do that, access my files that is, when
I close access on the server (port still forwarded on router) I can’t,
and all ports are ‘stealthed’ again …

How vulnerable am I during the ‘open’ stage …. Only 443 shows as being
open BTW.

TIA