HomePlug Compatibility

Old August 23rd 08, 11:25 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Geoff Lane

Default HomePlug Compatibility

Are the higher speed homeplugs compatible with the slower speed versions
or does one have to have devices of the same speed.

Geoff Lane
Old August 24th 08, 09:11 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Joan Archer

Sorry but I don't know what you mean, what are homeplugs and what are you
trying to compare them with ?

--
Joan Archer
http://www.freewebs.com/crossstitcher

Old August 25th 08, 03:14 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Geoff Lane

Joan Archer wrote:

Sorry but I don't know what you mean, what are homeplugs and what are
you trying to compare them with ?

View http://tinyurl.com/2pnkyj

As with wifi homeplugs have three (at the moment) speed standards and I
was wondering if the faster units could read the data from the slower units.

Geoff Lane

Old August 25th 08, 03:34 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Rob Morley

On Mon, 25 Aug 2008 15:14:29 +0100
Geoff Lane wrote:

Joan Archer wrote:

Sorry but I don't know what you mean, what are homeplugs and what
are you trying to compare them with ?

View http://tinyurl.com/2pnkyj

As with wifi homeplugs have three (at the moment) speed standards and
I was wondering if the faster units could read the data from the
slower units.

AIUI the AV standard (200Mbs) isn't compatible with the older ones
(14/85Mbs) although it can coexist on the same circuit, and the slower
ones will talk to each other. You can make a bridge simply by plugging
in an AV device next to a slower one and connecting the ethernet ports
together. This is just my possibly faulty recollection of stuff I've
read, I don't use Homeplug. I expect you're aware that there are other
powerline networking standards as well, that aren't compatible with
Homeplug at all AFAIK.

Old August 25th 08, 05:48 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Geoff Lane

Rob Morley wrote:

I was wondering if the faster units could read the data from the
slower units.

AIUI the AV standard (200Mbs) isn't compatible with the older ones
(14/85Mbs) although it can coexist on the same circuit, and the slower
ones will talk to each other. You can make a bridge simply by plugging
in an AV device next to a slower one and connecting the ethernet ports
together. This is just my possibly faulty recollection of stuff I've
read, I don't use Homeplug. I expect you're aware that there are other
powerline networking standards as well, that aren't compatible with
Homeplug at all AFAIK.

Thanks, I wasn't sure if I understood it correctly.

I have a wifi network which works fine but for a couple of network
booting requirements an ethernet connection is needed.

Wired ethernet I know is best but the cabling is inconvenient.

Geoff Lane

Old September 1st 08, 06:53 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Mike the unimaginative

Geoff Lane wrote in news:g8ooht$e40$1
@news.datemas.de:

Are the higher speed homeplugs compatible with the slower speed versions
or does one have to have devices of the same speed.

Geoff Lane

I am completely wired up with Solwise Homeplugs and these are a mixture of
the older (slower versions) and two types of the newer (faster) versions -
but heaven alone knows what the type numbers are - I just plug 'em in and
forget them!
The only issue I've ever had was recently when one in an extension cable
suddenly stopped connecting.
I've always found Solwise very quick to offer help and advice
Old September 2nd 08, 03:00 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Geoff Lane

Mike the unimaginative wrote:

Are the higher speed homeplugs compatible with the slower speed versions
or does one have to have devices of the same speed.

The only issue I've ever had was recently when one in an extension cable
suddenly stopped connecting.

Did you manage to resolve the problem.

Geoff Lane
Old September 2nd 08, 07:39 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Mike the unimaginative

Geoff Lane wrote in
:

Mike the unimaginative wrote:

Are the higher speed homeplugs compatible with the slower speed
versions or does one have to have devices of the same speed.

The only issue I've ever had was recently when one in an extension
cable suddenly stopped connecting.

Did you manage to resolve the problem.

Yes - although I'm bu**ered as to why it suddenly happened. I've had to
plug the Homeplug unit into a spare wall socket, and run a very long length
of Cat 5 to my wife's 'laptop sitting watching the tele' position!
(Somewhat defeating the object I know, but at least it avoids all the woes
of wireless) (Yes - I know.... wireless works for you, you and you, but I
can't get on with it!)
Old September 3rd 08, 06:29 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Rob Morley

On Tue, 02 Sep 2008 13:39:07 -0500
Mike the unimaginative wrote:

Yes - although I'm bu**ered as to why it suddenly happened. I've had
to plug the Homeplug unit into a spare wall socket, and run a very
long length of Cat 5 to my wife's 'laptop sitting watching the tele'
position! (Somewhat defeating the object I know, but at least it
avoids all the woes of wireless) (Yes - I know.... wireless works for
you, you and you, but I can't get on with it!)

You could use just a little bit of wireless to connect from the
homeplug to the sofa. :-)

Old September 4th 08, 07:11 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Geoff Lane

Mike the unimaginative wrote:

The only issue I've ever had was recently when one in an extension
cable suddenly stopped connecting.

Did you manage to resolve the problem.

Yes - although I'm bu**ered as to why it suddenly happened. I've had to
plug the Homeplug unit into a spare wall socket, and run a very long length
of Cat 5 to my wife's 'laptop sitting watching the tele' position!
(Somewhat defeating the object I know, but at least it avoids all the woes
of wireless) (Yes - I know.... wireless works for you, you and you, but I
can't get on with it!)

How wierd, different if it never worked but to stop suddenly is strange.
I assume you tried a different extension cable.

Geoff Lane