Connecting NAS kills my connection!

Old September 3rd 08, 12:23 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
strid

Default Connecting NAS kills my connection!

I have connected a NAS drive directly to a PC as a temporary measure while I
do a lot of re-jigging of my data. This PC get's it's internet connection
from a USB wireless adapter. However, I've noticed that when the NAS is
switched on, I can't get any connection via the wireless - despite it
showing as connected. Switch off the NAS and bingo, pages show up OK.

I'm wondering why is it that these 2 cannot just work independantly to one
another??

Wireless Adapter (manual I.P.)
192.168.1.101 subnet 255.255.255.0

Wired Network Port (Auto I.P. from NAS DHCP)
192.254.0.100 subnet 255.255.0.0

Old September 3rd 08, 01:26 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Mortimer

"strid" wrote in message
I have connected a NAS drive directly to a PC as a temporary measure while
I do a lot of re-jigging of my data. This PC get's it's internet
connection from a USB wireless adapter. However, I've noticed that when
the NAS is switched on, I can't get any connection via the wireless -
despite it showing as connected. Switch off the NAS and bingo, pages show
up OK.

I'm wondering why is it that these 2 cannot just work independantly to one
another??

Wireless Adapter (manual I.P.)
192.168.1.101 subnet 255.255.255.0

Wired Network Port (Auto I.P. from NAS DHCP)
192.254.0.100 subnet 255.255.0.0

How about turning off the NAS's DHCP server and letting the router allocate
addresses both for the wired port and the NAS? I think the problem may be
that your PC is on two subnets, 192.168.1.x and 192.254.0.x, and TCP isn't
sure which one to use to access the internet. Put everything in the same
subnet and you may find it works.

I could be barking up the wrong tree, though!

Old September 3rd 08, 04:50 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Rob Morley

On Wed, 3 Sep 2008 00:23:16 +0100
"strid" wrote:

I have connected a NAS drive directly to a PC as a temporary measure
while I do a lot of re-jigging of my data. This PC get's it's
internet connection from a USB wireless adapter. However, I've
noticed that when the NAS is switched on, I can't get any connection
via the wireless - despite it showing as connected. Switch off the
NAS and bingo, pages show up OK.

I'm wondering why is it that these 2 cannot just work independantly
to one another??

Wireless Adapter (manual I.P.)
192.168.1.101 subnet 255.255.255.0

Wired Network Port (Auto I.P. from NAS DHCP)
192.254.0.100 subnet 255.255.0.0

First things first - the reserved private address space starting 192 is
a class C network i.e. only 192.168.0.0/255.255.0.0 so 192.254.0.0/16
isn't reserved for private use and may appear on the internet. You're
already running a wireless network on one subnet of the reserved
address range, so set the NAS to use another of the subnets e.g.
192.168.0.0/255.255.255.0

But that's probably nothing to do with your problem, which is most
likely the default gateway setting. Assuming you're using Windows
2k/XP/Vista, open a terminal and enter

route delete 0.0.0.0 mask 0.0.0.0
route add 0.0.0.0 mask 0.0.0.0 192.168.1.1

(substitute the address of your router if it's not 192.168.1.1).
That deletes the existing default route (which was set by the NAS when
the NIC acquired its address via DHCP) and sets a new one that points
at your router instead.

Old September 3rd 08, 08:16 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Conor

In article , strid says...
I have connected a NAS drive directly to a PC as a temporary measure while I
do a lot of re-jigging of my data. This PC get's it's internet connection
from a USB wireless adapter. However, I've noticed that when the NAS is
switched on, I can't get any connection via the wireless - despite it
showing as connected. Switch off the NAS and bingo, pages show up OK.

I'm wondering why is it that these 2 cannot just work independantly to one
another??

Wireless Adapter (manual I.P.)
192.168.1.101 subnet 255.255.255.0

Wired Network Port (Auto I.P. from NAS DHCP)
192.254.0.100 subnet 255.255.0.0

Manually assign an IP address to the wired port and in the default
gateway, don't enter anything.

--
Conor

looking good either. - Scott Adams
Old September 4th 08, 07:42 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
strid

"Mortimer" wrote in message
et...
"strid" wrote in message
[...]

That was the way I had it when the NAS was pugged into my router in another
part of the house, but when I plugged it into the PC it wasn't showing up

Old September 4th 08, 09:24 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Bernard Peek

In message , strid
writes
I have connected a NAS drive directly to a PC as a temporary measure
while I do a lot of re-jigging of my data. This PC get's it's internet
connection from a USB wireless adapter. However, I've noticed that
when the NAS is switched on, I can't get any connection via the
wireless - despite it showing as connected. Switch off the NAS and
bingo, pages show up OK.

I'm wondering why is it that these 2 cannot just work independantly to
one another??

Wireless Adapter (manual I.P.)
192.168.1.101 subnet 255.255.255.0

That masks restricts the adapter to work only with 192.168.1.*
addresses.

Wired Network Port (Auto I.P. from NAS DHCP)
192.254.0.100 subnet 255.255.0.0

That masks restricts the adapter to work only with 192.254.*.*
addresses.

If you replace the mask for both of them with 255.0.0.0 then they could
see each other. But even better would be to make sure that every device
used an address in the 192.168.1 range.

You can only have one DHCP server in the network. Set it up to issue
addresses in a limited subset of the 192.168.1 range, and choose any
static addresses from the rest of that range. For instance my DHCP
server here serves addresses from 192.168.0.2 up to 192.168.0.20 while
my static addresses start at 192.168.0.40 and go up from there.

--
Bernard Peek
London, UK. DBA, Manager, Trainer & Author.

Old September 5th 08, 02:27 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Rob Morley

On Thu, 4 Sep 2008 19:42:06 +0100
"strid" wrote:

"Mortimer" wrote in message
et...

How about turning off the NAS's DHCP server and letting the router
allocate addresses both for the wired port and the NAS? I think the
problem may be that your PC is on two subnets, 192.168.1.x and
192.254.0.x, and TCP isn't sure which one to use to access the
internet. Put everything in the same subnet and you may find it
works.

That was the way I had it when the NAS was pugged into my router in
another part of the house, but when I plugged it into the PC it
wasn't showing up

That's because the NAS couldn't see the router to get a DHCP address -
you'd have to bridge the two network devices in the PC for that to work.

Old September 9th 08, 02:40 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Anthony R. Gold

On Wed, 3 Sep 2008 00:23:16 +0100, "strid" wrote:

I'm wondering why is it that these 2 cannot just work independantly to one
another??

Wireless Adapter (manual I.P.)
192.168.1.101 subnet 255.255.255.0

Wired Network Port (Auto I.P. from NAS DHCP)
192.254.0.100 subnet 255.255.0.0

Those different netmasks have different broadcast addresses so they can not
"see" each other by using ARP to discover the other's MAC address. You
must set all devices on the LAN with the same mask and in the same subnet.

Tone
Old September 9th 08, 02:47 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Rob Morley

On Tue, 09 Sep 2008 14:40:11 +0100
"Anthony R. Gold" wrote:

On Wed, 3 Sep 2008 00:23:16 +0100, "strid" wrote:

I'm wondering why is it that these 2 cannot just work independantly
to one another??

Wireless Adapter (manual I.P.)
192.168.1.101 subnet 255.255.255.0

Wired Network Port (Auto I.P. from NAS DHCP)
192.254.0.100 subnet 255.255.0.0

Those different netmasks have different broadcast addresses so they
can not "see" each other by using ARP to discover the other's MAC
address. You must set all devices on the LAN with the same mask and
in the same subnet.

He said he wants them to work independently i.e. different subnets.