wireless-n vs wireless-g

Old September 3rd 08, 09:23 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Philippe Gautier

Default wireless-n vs wireless-g

Hi,
I have to buy a wireless modem/route (ADSL) for my mother who just got a
laptop (wireless-g). I was wondering if I should go for a wireless-g
modem/router, the like of Linksys WAG200G or for a wireless-N, like
Linksys WAG160N. I know that the speed is going to be limited by her
ADSL anyway, but the reasoning is that her house is very old with *very*
thick wall, and I'm slightly worried that a wireless-G network would not
be enough. I read that apart from the speed, the range of wireless-n is
much better, so, in case wireless-G doesn't work, and if I buy a
wireless-N modem/router, I guess I can later buy a wireless-N USB
adapter for her laptop and make it work this way.
So, I guess my question is: any potential problem using a wireless-N
modem/router with a wireless-G laptop?

Sorry if this has been covered before.
many thanks

Philippe
Old September 3rd 08, 11:20 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Jeff Gaines

On 03/09/2008 in message
Philippe Gautier wrote:

[...]

I wonder if you would be better off with a HomePlug solution, thick walls
kill wireless signals very quickly.
I got a pair of Devolo HomePlugs - a master and a WAP so I get the benefit
of wireless without walls attenuating the signal.

--
Jeff Gaines Damerham Hampshire UK
All those who believe in psychokinesis raise my hand.
Old September 3rd 08, 12:58 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Ian

"Jeff Gaines" wrote in message
On 03/09/2008 in message
Philippe Gautier wrote:

[...]

I would hold off getting the Homeplugs at the moment. OFCOM are already
clamping
down on people using them as there is no type approval and they are causing
radio
interference. They are illegal to own and operate in the UK, but OFCOM will
not
stop companies supplying them. Many people have hadthe homeplugs
confiscated in
return for not being prosecuted.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S__UB...eature=related

You would be better buying a bigger aerial for the router. I got one that
is about
18inches tall from www.aria.co.uk - it gives another 3 bars on reception
compared
to the small aerial with the router.
Power levels from routers are limited anyway, it's just sales talk that
often misleads
by using statements like "extra range" and "extra coverage". It's just a
higher
throughput of data because 2 or more channels are used at the same time to
make the
signal "wider". That leaves it open to interference from others nearby with
a router.
The wider the bandwidth of a signal the stronger it needs to be, so it will
not go through
thick walls any better than a narrow bandwidth, it will be worse.
The only way to think of it is an FM stereo radio providing a hissing signal
will often
sound perfect in MONO. That's because you're comparing a wide and narrow
bandwidth.
Stick with G and get a bigger aerial for the router. Mine cost about 5 and
works
brilliantly from two floors away.

Old September 3rd 08, 04:35 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Jeff Gaines

On 03/09/2008 in message Ian wrote:

I would hold off getting the Homeplugs at the moment. OFCOM are already
clamping
down on people using them as there is no type approval and they are
causing radio
interference. They are illegal to own and operate in the UK, but OFCOM
will not
stop companies supplying them. Many people have hadthe homeplugs
confiscated in
return for not being prosecuted.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S__UB...eature=related

That video is essentially a radio amateur flying a kite!

There is a brief mention on the RSGB website:
http://www.rsgb-region-12.org.uk/news.php?news_id=109

which essentially says Ofcom aren't interested (although they have a duty
to investigate individual cases of interference).

I can't find any references to HomePlugs and type approval, not sure what
is required - do you have any links?

--
Jeff Gaines Damerham Hampshire UK
If it's not broken, mess around with it until it is
Old September 4th 08, 11:07 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Philippe Gautier

Philippe Gautier wrote:
[...]

Thanks for all the comments, it gives me food for thoughts.