Best Free HTML Editor

Old September 4th 08, 02:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
A.N. Onymous Esq

Default Best Free HTML Editor

What would people recommend as the best free WYSIWYG HTML Editor?
Old September 4th 08, 02:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

A.N. Onymous Esq wrote:
What would people recommend as the best free WYSIWYG HTML Editor?

The very nature of HTML means that what you see is never what you get.

My advice is to use a simple text editor (e.g. Context) , and a
selection of browsers to test against, or sling some money at e.g.
Dreamweaver. However I spend nearly as long taking randomly generated
HTML statements out of my wife's Dreamweaver output as she does putting
them in.

In the end HTML is a programming language, and should be learnt as such.
Old September 4th 08, 02:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Oddi

On Thu, 04 Sep 2008 14:46:17 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

A.N. Onymous Esq wrote:
What would people recommend as the best free WYSIWYG HTML Editor?

The very nature of HTML means that what you see is never what you get.

My advice is to use a simple text editor (e.g. Context) , and a
selection of browsers to test against, or sling some money at e.g.
Dreamweaver. However I spend nearly as long taking randomly generated
HTML statements out of my wife's Dreamweaver output as she does putting
them in.

In the end HTML is a programming language, and should be learnt as such.

In other words, you might as well stick your thumb up your arse and whistle
Dixie.

If that does not appeal, or you are already too full of ****e
post in News:alt.comp.freeware there are quite a number of very
good free HTML editors. The subscribers there can give good
advice on which they think is the best.

By the way if you try out the thumb up the arse remedy you have
to whistle in Dolby!!

Oddi.
Old September 4th 08, 03:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eeyore

"A.N. Onymous Esq" wrote:

What would people recommend as the best free WYSIWYG HTML Editor?

Leave out WYSIWYG and notepad is the answer.

That's how I do it.

Graham

Old September 4th 08, 03:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Spud

On Thu, 4 Sep 2008 14:37:29 +0100, "A.N. Onymous Esq" [email protected]
wrote:

What would people recommend as the best free WYSIWYG HTML Editor?

Try Seamonkey Composer:

http://www.seamonkey-project.org/

This supercedes Mozilla Composer and NVU (both v good but no longer
supported).
Old September 4th 08, 03:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
ian

On Thursday 04 September 2008 3:07 pm, in MID
, Eeyore
) wrote:
"A.N. Onymous Esq" wrote:

What would people recommend as the best free WYSIWYG HTML Editor?

Leave out WYSIWYG and notepad is the answer.

It isn't, IMO. It has a very limited feature set, and is pretty much useless
for anything other than very basic text editing.

Lots of far better editors available, such as those at
http://freewarelist.net/notepad-replacement.html

--
Ian...
Old September 4th 08, 03:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

wrote:

What would people recommend as the best free WYSIWYG HTML Editor?

Try Seamonkey Composer:

http://www.seamonkey-project.org/

This supercedes Mozilla Composer and NVU (both v good but no longer
supported).

That's what I use for quick one-page HTML creation at work. For any
more major development of several interlinked pages you need something
a bit better to handle the overview of the whole thing.

--
Chris Green
Old September 4th 08, 04:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ato_Zee

What would people recommend as the best free WYSIWYG HTML Editor?

Leave out WYSIWYG and notepad is the answer.

You can build sizeable sites using only Wordpad, W3C site has a
validator for both HTML and CSS. Many freebies produce invalid
bloated code. Steer clear of Frontpage.With ever increasing site
size, and content, Dreamweavers synchronise, check for orphened,
and built in FTP is useful. Main problem with most editors is
that they use span, increasingly nested spans create
more problems than they solve.
Create templates, use aids that allow insertion of predefined
text blocks, TypeItIn is useful.
Use some form of indenting to improve readability,
Use an HTML compressor to produce compressed HTML
in a different, the upload, folder.
Sparse code, with no redundent spaces, speeds up loading
and reduces bandwidth. Also deters some from
snitching bits of your site.
Any HTML viewer will open the code, use more than one,
Explorer and Firefox for starters, some HTML constructs
look and behave differently in different browsers.
Look at others coding in view code for their sites.
Choose carefully the units you use, pixels, percentages,
and other parameters, it's a learning curve.
Old September 4th 08, 04:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Java Jive

) wrote:
"A.N. Onymous Esq" wrote:

What would people recommend as the best free WYSIWYG HTML Editor?

Leave out WYSIWYG and

Lots of far better editors available, such as those at
http://freewarelist.net/notepad-replacement.html

And if you are willing to pay a reasonable sum for shareware, I don't
know how much because it was so long ago that I paid, and thus have
been using it freely ever since, TextPad is very good indeed. It has
customisable syntax files for most common purposes and the more common
ones, including html and javascript, are either part of the download
and/or can be downloaded from the site separately. There is also a
CSS one on the site. Note I'm still on v4.7.3, though there is a v5.x
available.

WYSIWYG just doesn't seem to happen in HTML. I agree with others,
you'll always get the least cluttered, best laid out and indented,
most compliant, code by learning to code it yourself.

Even if you get WYSIWYG in one browser that is W3C compliant such as,
just about I suppose, Firefox, then by definition you can almost
guarantee that WYSINWYG in a non-compliant browser such IE6.

Various versions of IE & FF are by far the most common browsers
visiting my own site ...
http://www.cemh.eclipse.co.uk/CEMH.html
.... IME, therefore, if your code gets it right for both of them, you
won't be going far wrong.

Firefox 1.5.0 0.20%
Firefox 2.0.0 20.60%
Firefox 3.0 4.40%
Firefox 3.0.1 23.20%
Mozilla 5.0 6.20%
MSIE 6.0 13.80%
MSIE 7.0 25.40%
Opera 9.00 1.00%
Opera 9.27 0.40%
Safari 1.2 2.20%
Unknown or others 2.60%

Links that I have found useful ...

Tutorials and references:
http://www.w3schools.com/html/default.asp
http://www.w3schools.com/xhtml/default.asp
http://www.w3schools.com/css/default.asp
http://www.w3schools.com/js/default.asp
http://www.htmlhelp.com/reference/html40/

HTML and CSS validators:

http://validator.w3.org/
http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/

This one can traverse a published site up to 100 pages at a time,
sites a little larger can be done in two sweeps by judicious use of
starting point:

http://htmlhelp.com/tools/validator/
Old September 4th 08, 04:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jeff Gaines

On 04/09/2008 in message A.N.
Onymous Esq wrote:

What would people recommend as the best free WYSIWYG HTML Editor?

I use Kompozer:
http://www.kompozer.net/

It's the successor to NVU, it's free and you can switch between WYSIWYG
and editing the HTML directly.

--
Jeff Gaines Damerham Hampshire UK
That's an amazing invention but who would ever want to use one of them?