broadband affects DIALLING???!!!

Old September 5th 08, 07:25 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

Default broadband affects DIALLING???!!!

I cant get my head round this.

I have two phone lines, one of which is also broadband enabled, and a
small PABX.

On the broadband enabled line, on occasion I cant dial out. I get dial
tone, but when I actually dial, the 'your number is not recognised'
message comes back after only a few digits are dialled.

The broadband works fine. Incoming calls are fine and noise free.

A telephone plugged into the filter bypassing the PABX is no better.

Removing the router from the filter fixes the problem entirely.

Sometimes plugging/replugging the router in again fixes it for a while.

Now I am not so much looking for a fix, as to understand how anything on
the far side of a filter can affect the blasted analogue side..after all
the filter is there to utterly disconnect audio stuff from the
broadband...so there should BE no effect on audio band from anything on
the DSL side of the filter..
Old September 5th 08, 08:26 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Rodney Pont

On Fri, 05 Sep 2008 06:25:15 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Now I am not so much looking for a fix, as to understand how anything on
the far side of a filter can affect the blasted analogue side..after all
the filter is there to utterly disconnect audio stuff from the
broadband...so there should BE no effect on audio band from anything on
the DSL side of the filter..

You have it the wrong way round. The filter is there to disconnect
broadband from the audio stuff. The DSL signal is directly connected,
only the phone side is filtered.

--
Regards - Rodney Pont

Old September 5th 08, 09:29 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

Rodney Pont wrote:
On Fri, 05 Sep 2008 06:25:15 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Now I am not so much looking for a fix, as to understand how anything on
the far side of a filter can affect the blasted analogue side..after all
the filter is there to utterly disconnect audio stuff from the
broadband...so there should BE no effect on audio band from anything on
the DSL side of the filter..

You have it the wrong way round. The filter is there to disconnect
broadband from the audio stuff. The DSL signal is directly connected,
only the phone side is filtered.

isn't that what I said? anyway a router that shorts audio cannot exactly
be one that would allow normal voice to operate.
Old September 5th 08, 10:23 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Rodney Pont

On Fri, 05 Sep 2008 08:29:10 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Rodney Pont wrote:
On Fri, 05 Sep 2008 06:25:15 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Now I am not so much looking for a fix, as to understand how anything on
the far side of a filter can affect the blasted analogue side..after all
the filter is there to utterly disconnect audio stuff from the
broadband...so there should BE no effect on audio band from anything on
the DSL side of the filter..

You have it the wrong way round. The filter is there to disconnect
broadband from the audio stuff. The DSL signal is directly connected,
only the phone side is filtered.

isn't that what I said? anyway a router that shorts audio cannot exactly
be one that would allow normal voice to operate.

No, not really. The filter can't 'utterly disconnect audio stuff from
the broadband' since the audio has to go down the telephone line as
well and there is no filtering on the DSL side.

I didn't notice it was yourself Mr Philosopher otherwise I probably
wouldn't have replied since you know about this stuff already :-)

Read the top paragraph again as if it wasn't written by yourself and
you will see what I mean. Anyway it sounds like the modem has had it.

--
Regards - Rodney Pont

Old September 5th 08, 11:11 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ato_Zee

Now I am not so much looking for a fix, as to understand how anything
on
the far side of a filter can affect the blasted analogue side..after
all
the filter is there to utterly disconnect audio stuff from the
broadband...so there should BE no effect on audio band from anything
on
the DSL side of the filter..

The DSL side is connected by solid wires straight through to the
phone line, there is no filtering on the DSL, so short out the DSL
you short out the phone as well, so no phone or DSL.
If you short out the filtered phone side you will stop or severely
downgrade the DSL.
So load up the phone side with extensions, extension ringers,
Sky box, fax machine, answering machine, caller ID unit,
amplifier for the hard of hearing, and wonder why you BB
is down to dial up speed.
Old September 5th 08, 06:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham.

[...]

Try this, best done with a phone directly on the line, and the PABX
disconnected.
Lift receiver dial the single digit "1" does it break dialtone?
Hang up and repeat with "2" and so forth. Include * and # for good measure.
It might not explain why it is happening but it may tell you which digits
are
not being recognised.
Perhaps "0" as an initial digit is OK and local
calls beginning with a non zero digit are problematic, a work-around
might be to dial with STD code.
My guess is that it will be the initial digit in the
string because it had to "compete" with the dialtone coming from
the linecard in the exchange.
I am sure there are some audio level
parameters that BT should set depending on how long the line
is, and the presence of the ADSL signal is having a small affect
on the speech line condition, but enough to push things over the
threshold of a DTMF digit or two not being recognised.

If, after conducting your own tests you conclude that
I possibly might be on the right track, (and it's only a
hunch at this point) then I suggest you report it to
BT as a PSTN fault and ask them to check the System X/Y
parameters for anything that might be non-standard.
and that you don't need a chargeable engineers visit,
and of course don't mention ADSL, (because it never occurred to
you that it was making a difference ;-) )

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Old September 5th 08, 07:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

Graham. wrote:
[...]

Its not consistent.

e.g. 50% of the time a call to 01603 xxxxxxx 2 halts after the 3..50% it
doesn't..it may get further..or not.

My guess is that it will be the initial digit in the
string because it had to "compete" with the dialtone coming from
the linecard in the exchange.
I am sure there are some audio level
parameters that BT should set depending on how long the line
is, and the presence of the ADSL signal is having a small affect
on the speech line condition, but enough to push things over the
threshold of a DTMF digit or two not being recognised.

it looks like pretty nasty attenuation on all the digits.

If, after conducting your own tests you conclude that
I possibly might be on the right track, (and it's only a
hunch at this point) then I suggest you report it to
BT as a PSTN fault and ask them to check the System X/Y
parameters for anything that might be non-standard.
and that you don't need a chargeable engineers visit,
and of course don't mention ADSL, (because it never occurred to
you that it was making a difference ;-) )

I already phoned em up and they say its my router and not their problem.
Old September 6th 08, 02:58 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Rex M F Smith

In message , The Natural
Philosopher writes

On the broadband enabled line, on occasion I cant dial out. I get dial
tone, but when I actually dial, the 'your number is not recognised'
message comes back after only a few digits are dialled.

I *frequently* get this ...

after 3 or 4 re-dials I *usually* get through, and on *exactly* the same
digits ...

?telephone routing problem?

I have also had my calls routed to the wrong person; not
*dialled* wrongly, *routed* wrongly ...

it's intermittent ... so *very* difficult to pin down :-(
--
Rex M F Smith
Old September 6th 08, 03:01 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Rex M F Smith

In message , The Natural
Philosopher writes

I already phoned em up and they say its my router and not their problem.

I neither have PABX nor a router ... that's a "data point" for you; I
get the problem on both 'phone handsets (one line, one extension 'phone)

and since it is *intermittent* ... it suggests it is NOT the handsets
--
Rex M F Smith
Old September 6th 08, 08:40 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

Rex M F Smith wrote:
In message , The Natural
Philosopher writes

I already phoned em up and they say its my router and not their problem.

I neither have PABX nor a router ... that's a "data point" for you; I
get the problem on both 'phone handsets (one line, one extension 'phone)

and since it is *intermittent* ... it suggests it is NOT the handsets

Ah. It may simply be low gain on the dialling part of the line then.

And the router is the last straw...