Help with wifi on BT Business Hub

Old September 5th 08, 03:37 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking

Default Help with wifi on BT Business Hub

I need some help with my BT Business Hub (it's a 2Wire router).

It all works OK except that I'm confused by the WiFi set up and, as I
only use it occasionally, I am lost every time I try to use it.

Firstly why does it have (apparently) two sets of WiFi settings, one
is called "Wireless Settings - BT BusinessHub-534" and the other is
called "Fusion Settings - BT Fusion-0534". When trying to connect
Laptops and Smartphones see *two* wireless networks, one called "BT
BusinessHub-534" and the other called "BT Fusion-0534".

Which should I use? Does it matter?

Next I don't seem to be able to get the security keys to work, I
*assume* that if I tell the router to use the "default encryption key"
that's the one on the router label but it doesn't actually seem to work.

Can anyone point me to some step-by-step instructions.

--
Chris Green
Old September 6th 08, 04:57 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking

Tony Wright wrote:
In message ,
writes

Firstly why does it have (apparently) two sets of WiFi settings, one
is called "Wireless Settings - BT BusinessHub-534" and the other is
called "Fusion Settings - BT Fusion-0534". When trying to connect
Laptops and Smartphones see *two* wireless networks, one called "BT
BusinessHub-534" and the other called "BT Fusion-0534".

Which should I use? Does it matter?

The BT Fusion is for wireless VOIP telephones, the BT BusinessHub is for
wifi PC broadband. Use the BT BusinessHub.

Aha, thank you, why doesn't it tell you that anywhere (or does it, I
certainly didn't spot it).

Next I don't seem to be able to get the security keys to work, I
*assume* that if I tell the router to use the "default encryption key"
that's the one on the router label but it doesn't actually seem to work.

There will be 2 keys on the router one for Wifi broadband access and the
other for Fusion VOIP telephones -- use the non-Fusion one.

Yes, there are two keys, in the Help it calls one the "Default
Encryption Key" and the other the "Fusion Encryption Key". However it
also labels the Default key as a WEP key and the Fusion key as a WPA
key. Surely (for better security) I should be using WPA shouldn't I?

--
Chris Green