Blackberry breaks BT Internet - long-winded!

Old September 8th 08, 06:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J

Default Blackberry breaks BT Internet - long-winded!

Nick uses Outlook to collect email from his POP3 account with BT internet.
He also has a POP3 account with Clara.

On Friday he got himself a Blackberry. Using the website at
http://mobileemail.vodafone.net/ he first created an account for himself.
He can send and receive email from this account using the Blackberry. But
of course he wants to receive email from his Clara account and from his BT
Internet account.

So he logs into http://mobileemail.vodafone.net/ and provides his username
and password. Then he proceeds to add the details for his Clara account.
There are several seconds delay before he is led to the "advanced settings"
page because the Clara POP3 login is different from his Clara email
address - but it all works OK. Messages sent to the Clara account arrive on
the Blackberry after a few minutes, and are kept on the Clara POP3 server so
Outlook can receive them later - as expected.

Now he repeats the process with the credentials for the BT Internet account.
This fails immediately with an uninformative message. He rings the
technical support for the Blackberry supplier - the response "yes this
happens quite often, keep trying" !!!

Since trying to set up the BT Internet account for the Blackblerry his
Outlook has not been able to collect email from the BT Internet POP3
server - at least, not reliably; I'm told it did work for a few hours this
morning. It fails with:

"""""""""""
Task 'Nick @ BTInternet - Receiving' reported error (0x800CCC92) : 'Your
e-mail server rejected your login. Verify your user name and password in
your account properties. Under Tools, click E-mail accounts. The server
responded: -ERR [AUTH] Error logging in. Please visit http://mail.yahoo.com'
"""""""""""

However Nick can login at http://mail.yahoo.com' or www.btinternet.com and
provide his credentials, and is able to view his emails OK.

His POP3 account with Clara continues to work OK from Outlook. From a
different location, using a different ADSL connection and a different
computer I set up an account with Nick's credentials, choose the "leave
messages on server" option; and I see exactly the same error message about
rejection of login. But I too can use Nick's credentials to read his email
via the BT-Internet (i.e.Yahoo) website.

For the benefit of readers on this ng I tried logging into the Vodafone site
to see the exact details of the failure when trying to set up the Blackberry
to read mail from the BT Internet server. I provide the email address and
password. Bear in mind that the login name required when using a POP3
client such as Outlook is simply the text before the @ sign - as it was with
the Clara account - so I expected to be led to the advanced section to
complete these details.

This time the Vodafone site waits about 10 seconds and reports that it has
created the account !!! Immediately afterwards the Blackberry receives an
email confirming this. I send a message to his BT Internet address, and
after about 15 minutes (the expected delay) the Blackberry receives it.

But Outlook continues to fail with the login error.

This seems to be a fault with the BT Internet POP3 server - but why does
their website accept the login, and why does it work from the Blackberry?
And is it simply conincidence that this failed at exactly the time that Nick
first tried to set up the Blackberry to read his mail from the BT Internet
account?

Any ideas gratefully received.

--
Graham J

Old September 8th 08, 07:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
ian

On Monday 08 September 2008 6:43 pm, in MID
, Graham J
) wrote:

[...]

I provide the email address and
password. Bear in mind that the login name required when using a POP3
client such as Outlook is simply the text before the @ sign -

BTInternet/BTYahoo require the full email address as the POP3 login.

From their online help:

---x---
User Name: Enter your full BT Yahoo! email address including
the " or " part.
---x---

Old September 8th 08, 07:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Invalid

In message , Graham J
writes
[...]

Possibly (just a guess I don't use BT Internet or have a blackberry)

BT Internet POP3 server only allows one login at a time.

Vodaphone site has logged in, but does not (properly?) log out. Given
that it is repeatedly checking the e-mail account, it may never log out?

BT Internet Webmail/Yahoo use some other mechanism than POP3 (IMAP?) to
get at the mail, so no problems show up.

Clara either allow multiple access, OR time out the connection from
Vodaphone when there is no activity.

Try access in the BT Internet POP3 server using Telnet, you may get a
more informative error message.

--
Peter R Cook
Old September 8th 08, 08:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J

"ian" wrote in message
news
On Monday 08 September 2008 6:43 pm, in MID
, Graham J
) wrote:

[...]

I provide the email address and
password. Bear in mind that the login name required when using a POP3
client such as Outlook is simply the text before the @ sign -

BTInternet/BTYahoo require the full email address as the POP3 login.

From their online help:

True, the website requires the full email address. Until last Friday
Outlook WOULD NOT work using the full email address, and required simply the
text preceeding the @ sign. But anyway, I tried the full email address in
Outlook but I get the same failure message.

-- Graham J

Old September 8th 08, 08:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
ian

On Monday 08 September 2008 8:01 pm, in MID
, Graham J
) wrote:
"ian" wrote in message
news
On Monday 08 September 2008 6:43 pm, in MID
, Graham J
) wrote:

[...]

I provide the email address and
password. Bear in mind that the login name required when using a POP3
client such as Outlook is simply the text before the @ sign -

BTInternet/BTYahoo require the full email address as the POP3 login.

From their online help:

True, the website requires the full email address.

Yup

Until last Friday
Outlook WOULD NOT work using the full email address, and required simply
the
text preceeding the @ sign.

Strange - it's the other way around for me.

But anyway, I tried the full email address in
Outlook but I get the same failure message.

What server's configured ? mail.btinternet.com or something else ?
(mail.btopenworld.com has been playing up the last couple of days,
apparently)

--
Ian...
Old September 8th 08, 08:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J

"ian" wrote in message
On Monday 08 September 2008 8:01 pm, in MID
, Graham J
) wrote:
"ian" wrote in message
news
On Monday 08 September 2008 6:43 pm, in MID
, Graham J
) wrote:

[...]

I provide the email address and
password. Bear in mind that the login name required when using a POP3
client such as Outlook is simply the text before the @ sign -

BTInternet/BTYahoo require the full email address as the POP3 login.

From their online help:

True, the website requires the full email address.

Yup

Until last Friday
Outlook WOULD NOT work using the full email address, and required simply
the
text preceeding the @ sign.

Strange - it's the other way around for me.

But anyway, I tried the full email address in
Outlook but I get the same failure message.

What server's configured ? mail.btinternet.com or something else ?
(mail.btopenworld.com has been playing up the last couple of days,
apparently)

The POP3 server is mail.btinternet.com

Currently I can't find anything that tells me it should be anything else.

--
Graham J

Old September 8th 08, 09:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
ian

On Monday 08 September 2008 8:33 pm, in MID
, Graham J
) wrote:
"ian" wrote in message

What server's configured ? mail.btinternet.com or something else ?
(mail.btopenworld.com has been playing up the last couple of days,
apparently)

The POP3 server is mail.btinternet.com

Currently I can't find anything that tells me it should be anything else.

That's the currently supported machine name.
mail.btopenworld.com has been used in the past, and (usually) still works. I
was just wondering if the problem coincided with its playing up recently,
but it seems not.

Were the problem mine, I'd do as somebody else suggested and try telnet.

--
Ian...
Old September 8th 08, 09:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J

"Invalid" wrote in message
In message , Graham J
writes
Nick uses Outlook to collect email from his POP3 account with BT internet.

[snip]

Possibly (just a guess I don't use BT Internet or have a blackberry)

BT Internet POP3 server only allows one login at a time.

Vodaphone site has logged in, but does not (properly?) log out. Given that
it is repeatedly checking the e-mail account, it may never log out?

BT Internet Webmail/Yahoo use some other mechanism than POP3 (IMAP?) to
get at the mail, so no problems show up.

Clara either allow multiple access, OR time out the connection from
Vodaphone when there is no activity.

Try access in the BT Internet POP3 server using Telnet, you may get a more
informative error message.

telnet mail.btinternet.com 110
+OK hello from popgate 2.40 on pop801.mail.ird.yahoo.com
user name
+OK password required.
pass password
-ERR [AUTH] Error logging in. Please visit http://mail.yahoo.com

It has been suggested that the full email address is required to log into
the POP3 server - so I try:

telnet mail.btinternet.com 110
+OK hello from popgate 2.40 on pop804.mail.ird.yahoo.com
user
+OK password required.
pass password
-ERR [AUTH] Error logging in. Please visit http://mail.yahoo.com

The issue of whether the full email address is required is contentious;
until last Friday only the name component was required. Testing today
shows neither the partial nor full email address will work.

So far as I understand the Blackberry server operated by Vodafone tries at
regular intervals - perhaps every 15 minutes - is this enough to confuse the
BT internet mail server?

--
Graham J

Old September 8th 08, 10:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Unbeliever

Graham J wrote:
Nick uses Outlook to collect email from his POP3 account with BT
internet. He also has a POP3 account with Clara.

On Friday he got himself a Blackberry. Using the website at
http://mobileemail.vodafone.net/ he first created an account for
himself. He can send and receive email from this account using the
Blackberry. But of course he wants to receive email from his Clara
account and from his BT Internet account.

Snipped

But Outlook continues to fail with the login error.

This seems to be a fault with the BT Internet POP3 server - but why
does their website accept the login, and why does it work from the
Blackberry? And is it simply conincidence that this failed at exactly
the time that Nick first tried to set up the Blackberry to read his
mail from the BT Internet account?

Any ideas gratefully received.

Are you getting a message like this:

As part of ongoing security enhancements to BT Yahoo! email, we are in the
process of upgrading our security to prevent emails from being sent from
client applications (Microsoft Outlook, Thunderbird, etc) when the "From"
email address is not either a BT Yahoo! email address or a validated
alternative email address. If you see an error 553 message, you will need to
validate the email address from which you wish to send. Step by step
instructions can be found at http://www.btyahoo.com/verify/

If so, just follow the link - if not, forget it!

Old September 8th 08, 11:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Invalid

In message , Graham J
writes

"Invalid" wrote in message
In message , Graham J
writes
[...]

I don't know. But if the Blackberry server doesn't log-off when it has
finished, and the BT Internet server has a longer time-out than that, it
could!

The fact that it worked "In the morning" suggests that perhaps if the
Blackberry is switched off (overnight?), the Vodafone server stops
polling every 15 minutes. Three is certainly a suggestion on the
Blackberry site that the polling frequency varies with usage.

You might try switching the Blackberry off for a couple of hours and see
if Outlook can grab the server then.

But as I said originally I am only guessing.

A quick Google got me to a Vodafone forum, nothing really useful, but
a hint that Yahoo mail has a non standard linkage to Vodafone/Blackberry

"QUOTE (Tom_Vodafone @ Apr 14 2008, 02:03 PM) *
If you use the Blackberry email address that comes with the account
(it'll be ) then your emails come
through immediately. The reason there's a delay with other email
providers is as you've correctly stated, Blackberry checks every 15
minutes on average to see if you have new mail. If your account's used a
lot, Blackberry will check more frequently, but it still won't be as
'real-time' as using the supplied Blackberry email address.

As an additional to this, Gmail and Yahoo accounts are an exception to
this rule, as they each have special agreements and processes in place
especially for Blackberry. Emails sent to a GMail or Yahoo address will
also arrive immediately, without the 15 minute polling time."

The fact that the original set-up didn't take you to the advanced page
suggests this is happening, but where you go from there??
--
Invalid