TALKTALK

Old September 14th 08, 09:29 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave Boomhauer

Default TALKTALK

Hi, my sister has talktalk broadband and was supplied with a wired modem....

She now needs wireless as has bought a ps3 for her son and can't go to the
extent of drilling holes in the house for an ethernet cable...

She bought a Netgear DG834G wireless router and I input the settings into
the router such as username/ password/ etc..

The router is saying it's connected and successfully obtains a public IP
etc, but when you open a broswer it redirects to a talktalk webpage saying
"we need to check your credentials"...

Is this a case of talktalk not wanting us to use 3rd party equipment or have
I set something wrong?

Old September 14th 08, 10:13 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
FSC

"Dave Boomhauer" wrote in message
Hi, my sister has talktalk broadband and was supplied with a wired
modem....

She now needs wireless as has bought a ps3 for her son and can't go to the
extent of drilling holes in the house for an ethernet cable...

She bought a Netgear DG834G wireless router and I input the settings into
the router such as username/ password/ etc..

The router is saying it's connected and successfully obtains a public IP
etc, but when you open a broswer it redirects to a talktalk webpage saying
"we need to check your credentials"...

Is this a case of talktalk not wanting us to use 3rd party equipment or
have I set something wrong?

There is a major outage in the south of england atm with TalkTalk Broadband
and phone lines.
There is a load of customers on the TalkTalk Members site with problems,
http://www.talktalkmembers.com/forums

Old September 14th 08, 10:44 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ron Gibbs

"FSC" wrote in message

[...]

Actually, only phone lines are affected, not broadband, which is why those
with a problem are able to contribute to the online forum!

Ron

Old September 14th 08, 11:43 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J

"Dave Boomhauer" wrote in message
Hi, my sister has talktalk broadband and was supplied with a wired
modem....

Do you mean that? Or was it a router?

She now needs wireless as has bought a ps3 for her son and can't go to the
extent of drilling holes in the house for an ethernet cable...

She bought a Netgear DG834G wireless router and I input the settings into
the router such as username/ password/ etc..

The router is saying it's connected and successfully obtains a public IP
etc, but when you open a broswer it redirects to a talktalk webpage saying
"we need to check your credentials"...

Is this a case of talktalk not wanting us to use 3rd party equipment or
have I set something wrong?

If it really was a modem you will need to reconfigure the browser to use the
LAN connection. That way it won't try to use the DUN connectiod to invoke
the driver for the modem.

Also, try using a different computer connected to the router - if that shows
the same problem then others here will have the answer ...

--
Graham J

Old September 14th 08, 12:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

On Sun, 14 Sep 2008 09:29:35 +0100, "Dave Boomhauer"
wrote:

Is this a case of talktalk not wanting us to use 3rd party equipment or have
I set something wrong?

I've used Belkin, 3Com, Netgear etc.. routers on my TalkTalk
connection without problems. So either the networks broken or you've
got a duff setting somewhere.
HTH

Old September 14th 08, 12:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Section

"Dave Boomhauer" wrote in message
Hi, my sister has talktalk broadband and was supplied with a wired
modem....

She now needs wireless as has bought a ps3 for her son and can't go to the
extent of drilling holes in the house for an ethernet cable...

She bought a Netgear DG834G wireless router and I input the settings into
the router such as username/ password/ etc..

The router is saying it's connected and successfully obtains a public IP
etc, but when you open a broswer it redirects to a talktalk webpage saying
"we need to check your credentials"...

Is this a case of talktalk not wanting us to use 3rd party equipment or
have I set something wrong?

This may help you..
http://www.talktalkmembers.com/content/view/90/68

Old September 14th 08, 01:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham

"Dave Boomhauer" wrote in message
Hi, my sister has talktalk broadband and was supplied with a wired
modem....

She now needs wireless as has bought a ps3 for her son and can't go to the
extent of drilling holes in the house for an ethernet cable...

She bought a Netgear DG834G wireless router and I input the settings into
the router such as username/ password/ etc..

The router is saying it's connected and successfully obtains a public IP
etc, but when you open a broswer it redirects to a talktalk webpage saying
"we need to check your credentials"...

Is this a case of talktalk not wanting us to use 3rd party equipment or
have I set something wrong?

Can we have the URL of the page you get re-directed to?
Perhaps a screenshot too as it's likely to be a closed-user page?

I think your username is your phone number followed by .talktalk.net
is that OK?

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Old September 14th 08, 06:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eeyore

Dave Boomhauer wrote:

Hi, my sister has talktalk broadband and was supplied with a wired modem....

Not a router ?

She now needs wireless as has bought a ps3 for her son and can't go to the
extent of drilling holes in the house for an ethernet cable...

She bought a Netgear DG834G wireless router and I input the settings into
the router such as username/ password/ etc..

The router is saying it's connected and successfully obtains a public IP
etc, but when you open a broswer it redirects to a talktalk webpage saying
"we need to check your credentials"...

Is this a case of talktalk not wanting us to use 3rd party equipment or have
I set something wrong?

You need to disable or remove the modem software that makes it look like a
dial-up connection.

Routers are simply 'always on'. The PC will know what to do with it once you've
accessed the correct IP address to configure the router.

Graham

Old September 14th 08, 10:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark McIntyre

Eeyore wrote:

Dave Boomhauer wrote:

Hi, my sister has talktalk broadband and was supplied with a wired modem....

Not a router ?

Talktalk used to supply a USB modem with their cheaper offerings.

I just upgraded the mother-in-law to a cheapo wireless modem/router from
Broadbandbuyer. Works fine with Talktalk but as with all modem-to-router
conversions you need to disable and possibly delete the existing
dialup-networking connection or else some s/w will be stupid enough to
continue to try using it.

You need to disable or remove the modem software that makes it look like a
dial-up connection.

Yup.