BE upload speed

Old September 14th 08, 04:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Les Desser

Default BE upload speed

A friend has just changed from Demon to BE and has been give a
significantly higher sync rate on upload.

In practice the upload speed is less than a third of what he had before
(about 10 KB/s v. 34)

His router is showing the figures below.

Are the figures compatible?

Downstream Connection Speed 8466 kbps
Line Attenuation 34 db
Noise Margin 12 db

Upstream Connection Speed 1875 kbps
Line Attenuation 10.5 db
Noise Margin 11 db

Many thanks.
--
Les Desser
(The Reply-to address IS valid)
Old September 14th 08, 06:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eeyore

Les Desser wrote:

A friend has just changed from Demon to BE and has been give a
significantly higher sync rate on upload.

In practice the upload speed is less than a third of what he had before
(about 10 KB/s v. 34)

His router is showing the figures below.

Are the figures compatible?

Downstream Connection Speed 8466 kbps
Line Attenuation 34 db
Noise Margin 12 db

Upstream Connection Speed 1875 kbps
Line Attenuation 10.5 db
Noise Margin 11 db

Many thanks.

Sounds lovely to me.

How do you KNOW what the upload speed is "in practice" ?

Go here. http://www.speedtest.bbmax.co.uk/

Graham

Old September 15th 08, 07:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Nicola Redwood

"Les Desser" wrote in message
A friend has just changed from Demon to BE and has been give a
significantly higher sync rate on upload.

In practice the upload speed is less than a third of what he had before
(about 10 KB/s v. 34)

His router is showing the figures below.

Are the figures compatible?

Downstream Connection Speed 8466 kbps
Line Attenuation 34 db
Noise Margin 12 db

Upstream Connection Speed 1875 kbps
Line Attenuation 10.5 db
Noise Margin 11 db

Many thanks.
--
Les Desser
(The Reply-to address IS valid)

Which package is this on Be?
With those stats, I would expect to see a download sync above 10Mb, so
suggests there is some issue somewhere likely internal wiring. The SNR is
also high - it's usually around 6db. If still in the first 2 weeks, the
line could still be running DLM, so the SNR can change quite considerably.
The full upstream sync with Be is 1.3Mb unless on Annex M where it is 2.5Mb.
Obviously the state of the line will determine what you actually get
Currently these are my stats from a Netgear DG834GT

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 8527 kbps 1265 kbps
Line Attenuation 37.5 db 21.2 db
Noise Margin 6.9 db 5.8 db

You lose about 15% in throughput due to ATM overheads, suggesting my max.
throughput upstream would be about 1075kbps. Then you have to take into
consideration the bandwidth of the upstream host you are uploading to.
Speedtest sites are notoriously unreliable - the one here usually gives me
the most accurate results
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest.html

Also, torrents are not a very reliable measure of throughput as there are so
many varying factors

As a start, have a read of the guide here to sort out any potential wiring
issues
http://www.adsl2forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=8152

Hope this helps and please feel free to email if you need more help or
advice

Nicola
(Reply-to address is valid)

Old September 18th 08, 03:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Les Desser

In article , Nicola Redwood
Mon, 15 Sep 2008 19:34:07 writes

Which package is this on Be?

I think they are paying 22

With those stats, I would expect to see a download sync above 10Mb,

In fact Be have now raised their sync rates so that SNR is around 6.

[....]

Hope this helps and please feel free to email if you need more help or
advice

Thank you - very useful.