Homeplug Speeds

Old September 14th 08, 08:21 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Geoff Lane

Default Homeplug Speeds

I am considering a homeplug to extend my current home network.

The latest version supports speeds up to 200mbps but I am wondering the
benefits of this speed; at the moment no broadband even exceeds the
slower 85mbps standard.

BBC's Iplayer plays fine over my own adsl, which is not particularly
fast, so even the slowest homeplug would suffice.

Is the latest 200mbps standard aimed at future development rather than
being of any major advantage now.

Geoff Lane
Old September 14th 08, 08:31 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Conor

In article , Geoff Lane says...
I am considering a homeplug to extend my current home network.

The latest version supports speeds up to 200mbps but I am wondering the
benefits of this speed; at the moment no broadband even exceeds the
slower 85mbps standard.

BBC's Iplayer plays fine over my own adsl, which is not particularly
fast, so even the slowest homeplug would suffice.

Is the latest 200mbps standard aimed at future development rather than
being of any major advantage now.

It's a bloody big advantage when you want to transfer files.

--
Conor

looking good either. - Scott Adams
Old September 14th 08, 09:34 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Anthony R. Gold

On Sun, 14 Sep 2008 20:21:45 +0100, Geoff Lane
wrote:

I am considering a homeplug to extend my current home network.

The latest version supports speeds up to 200mbps but I am wondering the
benefits of this speed; at the moment no broadband even exceeds the
slower 85mbps standard.

BBC's Iplayer plays fine over my own adsl, which is not particularly
fast, so even the slowest homeplug would suffice.

Is the latest 200mbps standard aimed at future development rather than
being of any major advantage now.

If your LAN is only used to share your DSL access around the house and you
don't have any data to being transfer between the different hosts on your
LAN then the extra speed will be wasted on you.

Tony
Old September 15th 08, 01:28 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Rob Morley

Geoff Lane wrote:

I am considering a homeplug to extend my current home network.

The latest version supports speeds up to 200mbps but I am wondering
the benefits of this speed; at the moment no broadband even exceeds
the slower 85mbps standard.

BBC's Iplayer plays fine over my own adsl, which is not particularly
fast, so even the slowest homeplug would suffice.

Is the latest 200mbps standard aimed at future development rather
than being of any major advantage now.

If you have a server under the stairs to store all your music and
videos and run a printer and a remote desktop session and a
security camera you'll soon be looking for more bandwidth.

Old September 15th 08, 11:50 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Bernard Peek

In message [email protected], Rob Morley
writes

If you have a server under the stairs to store all your music and
videos and run a printer and a remote desktop session and a
security camera you'll soon be looking for more bandwidth.

That's the sort of setup that I have. I'm pushing my 100Mb network as
hard as it will go, and waiting for gigabit hardware to come down in
price.

--
Bernard Peek
London, UK. DBA, Manager, Trainer & Author.

Old September 15th 08, 06:18 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Geoff Lane

Rob Morley wrote:

Is the latest 200mbps standard aimed at future development rather
than being of any major advantage now.

If you have a server under the stairs to store all your music and
videos and run a printer and a remote desktop session and a
security camera you'll soon be looking for more bandwidth.

Yes, you have a point.

At the moment, especially with a 10/100 router, I cannot see a definite
use for the 200mbps system but like anything new, it is not until you
get it that it's uses become apparent.

Geoff Lane

Old September 16th 08, 10:22 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
stephen

On Mon, 15 Sep 2008 18:18:23 +0100, Geoff Lane
wrote:

Rob Morley wrote:

Is the latest 200mbps standard aimed at future development rather
than being of any major advantage now.

If you have a server under the stairs to store all your music and
videos and run a printer and a remote desktop session and a
security camera you'll soon be looking for more bandwidth.

Yes, you have a point.

At the moment, especially with a 10/100 router, I cannot see a definite
use for the 200mbps system but like anything new, it is not until you
get it that it's uses become apparent.

1 point AFAICT the 200 Mbps is total bandwidth for all sessions
including overhead - so if you connect several machines they all share
this - just like an old co-ax based Ethernet?

and paraphrased, the FAQ (for Homeplug AV - and it seems badly out of
date) mentions in passing 200 Mbps PHY level and 100 Mbps useful
bandwidth - so 1 link in a house might keep up with a Cat 5 100 Mbps
Ethernet pipe.
http://www.homeplug.org/about/faqs/

the white paper talks about 150 Mbps useable.
http://www.homeplug.org/products/whi...per_050818.pdf

Geoff Lane

--
Regards