Comments on AOL Broadband and FREE Laptop please

Old September 15th 08, 11:09 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
hamsatuk

Default Comments on AOL Broadband and FREE Laptop please

Hi
Has anybody taken up AOL's offer of Broadband and a free laptop.
All views and comments welcome
Thanks
Tony
Old September 15th 08, 02:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
[Lnz]

On Mon, 15 Sep 2008 11:09:40 +0100, hamsatuk
wrote:

Hi
Has anybody taken up AOL's offer of Broadband and a free laptop.
All views and comments welcome
Thanks
Tony

While I have been using AOL for several years and I have been
generally satisfied with the connectivity (note, I said
"connectivity". I make no representations about their customer
service), I think that defining the laptop as being "free" might be
open to discussion.

Perhaps "paid on installments" or "deferred payment" would describe it
better.

Lorenz

PS But OTOH, there are people on mobile phone contracts who
obstinately refer to their prepaid minutes as "free", so who am I to
argue.
Old September 15th 08, 03:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris Dent

While I have been using AOL for several years and I have been
generally satisfied with the connectivity (note, I said
"connectivity". I make no representations about their customer
service), I think that defining the laptop as being "free" might be
open to discussion.

Perhaps "paid on installments" or "deferred payment" would describe it
better.

I absolutely agree with you and I can unequivocably tell you from first
hand experience that children and thick people I know are actually
inclined to believe the word, "free". "Included" is probably a more
advertiser-friendly pro-marketing phrase than either of your
suggestions, but one which could reasonably be used. E.g. "get your
expensive broadband but with a redactedfree/redacted laptop
included". ASA should stop such nonsense but 'advertising standards'
are, as Chomsky amongst others point out, a contradiction in terms....

Old September 15th 08, 10:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian

"hamsatuk" wrote in message
Hi
Has anybody taken up AOL's offer of Broadband and a free laptop.
All views and comments welcome
Thanks
Tony

I doubt they will just hand over a laptop before a minimum qualifying
period.
Free is another matter, do they mean a finance agreement to pay monthly
which would also pay for 18months with AOL and be with a different
company?
Watch out. The ASA will not take on big companies.

Old September 16th 08, 04:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Clint Sharp

In message , hamsatuk
writes
Hi
Has anybody taken up AOL's offer of Broadband and a free laptop.

Memeber of the family got one, another member sells them. It's a finance
deal linked to a crappy broadband offering. Not a free laptop at all.

--
Clint Sharp
Old September 17th 08, 08:48 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
[Lnz]

On Mon, 15 Sep 2008 15:47:26 +0100, "Chris Dent"
wrote:

Perhaps "paid on installments" or "deferred payment" would describe it
better.

I absolutely agree with you and I can unequivocably tell you from first
hand experience that children and thick people I know are actually
inclined to believe the word, "free". "Included" is probably a more
advertiser-friendly pro-marketing phrase than either of your
suggestions, but one which could reasonably be used. E.g. "get your
expensive broadband but with a redactedfree/redacted laptop
included". ASA should stop such nonsense but 'advertising standards'
are, as Chomsky amongst others point out, a contradiction in terms....

Chomsky at times is very perceptive, both linguistically and
politically.

But then, language has always been used to point at something that is
not. A few expressions that are doing the rounds now and that I find
particularly telling are "credit crunch" and "the markets do this and
that". In both cases the personification of the agent, the big bad
crunch and the incontrollable markets, helps to divert the blame and
the responsibility from the real agents, the greedy, irresponsible,
selfish, morally delinquent human agents who, by their actions,
brought this on us, the aquiescing masses, duped and lulled to sleep
by their words.

A bit like the PIN number in bank cards, a magistrally executed
sleight of hand that removed responsibility and liability from banks
and retailers and placed it firmly on the shoulder of the poor sod
who, in case of mishap, is left to demonstrate that he or she did
_not_ reveal it to others. And of course, demonstrating a negative is
impossible.

Cheers everyone

Lorenz