Change of T&C's in post today [Pipex]

Old September 15th 08, 05:16 PM posted to pipex.xtreme.support,uk.telecom.broadband
Signal

Default Change of T&C's in post today [Pipex]

[note: crossposted to uk.telecom.broadband]

(Andrew MacPherson) wrote:

Anyone else had a letter form those nice people at Piscali today? I had
one warning me of a general tweaking of the account, mainly
administrative stuff. But my 15Gb monthly allowance is going down to 10Gb,
apparently.

Now I'm not a big downloader, but this month I've been DLing a variety of
Linux flavours to try on an old laptop, and I use iPlayer quite a bit,
and other sites with video feeds. 15Gb felt like plenty for my needs. But
10 feels like I've lost my headroom and might end up paying extra some
months.

I think my inertia has just been given a hefty kick up the backside. My
year's contract (since shifting to the 8Mb which package) is over and I
think now my time with taking-the-Piscali will be over soon too.

Andrew 'a bit grumpy' McP

I've been looking to jump ship for aaages. Just never had that gap in
time to redirect all my emails and be offline for a few days.. agggghh

Still paying 24 for 1Mb.. Piscali never took the initiative to
contact me and offer me a better deal. Last time I asked they wanted
me to sign up a new 18m contract... OK.. cya...

Whats the verdict on BE? They have hardware in my exchange now. On the
surface it seems their packages are significantly cheaper, faster,
there are no download limits or traffic shaping (AFAIK), you're not
tied into a lengthy contract, and you can speak to a person in the UK
without dialing premium rate numbers. Is that about right? And can I
use my existing router with them?

--
S i g n a l @ l i n e o n e . n e t
Old September 15th 08, 08:30 PM posted to pipex.xtreme.support,uk.telecom.broadband
John

(Andrew MacPherson) wrote:

[...]

I'm in exactly the position with Pipex and will be moving to be as soon as I
can
get a mac out of them - apparently there's a "problem".
My son is very happy with be in Edinburgh and gets 20 Mb. If you are
referred
by an current user, they get a free month and you get a free connection, a
small
bonus but worth having.
Your existing router will be fine, but I think they supply one as well.

John

Old September 15th 08, 09:58 PM posted to pipex.xtreme.support,uk.telecom.broadband
Signal

"John" wrote:

[...]

Sounds fishy to me...

My son is very happy with be in Edinburgh and gets 20 Mb. If you are
referred
by an current user, they get a free month and you get a free connection, a
small
bonus but worth having.
Your existing router will be fine, but I think they supply one as well.

Excellent.

Perhaps when I'm ready to switch you or you're son could refer me.. I
assume the referring party gets something out of it too..

--
S i g n a l @ l i n e o n e . n e t
Old September 16th 08, 03:44 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Digby

(Andrew MacPherson) wrote:

[...]

BE's customer service is in Bulgaria but the calls are free and their
english is good.
Not all routers will work with BE, apart from the supplied Speedtouch,
the favorites seem to be the Netgear DG834v4 and DG834GT.
The other comments you make are correct.
You could also consider O2 broadband who own BE and use the same
network, if you have an O2 mobile you get a discount. I believe O2
customer service is in the UK.
Old September 16th 08, 07:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
DubDriver

(Andrew MacPherson) wrote:

[...]

That's right!
I was with BE 24 meg, they were excellent although (due to exchange
distance) in practice the fastest I could get was around 18 meg. So, I in
reality I was paying for more product than I could use and BE's 8 meg
services was less than I wanted! Then along came O2 so I changed to their 16
meg service (as an O2 mobile customer) saving 96 per year.

8 meg BE 14 (8 until end of this year)
8 meg 02 12.50 (7.50 O2 customers)*
16 meg O2 15 (10 O2 customers)*
20 meg O2 20 (15 O2 customers)*
24 meg BE 18

*Pay & Go customers subject to 10 minimum top-up every 3 months