chaining routers

Old September 16th 08, 05:51 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking

Default chaining routers

I've 3 PCs at home, a fon point and now a voip device (linksys 3012 if
I ever figure out how it works, I could do with some advice on getting
the syslog onto a pc), all wired. I've connected a spare netgear
dg834pn wireless router to the origo router/adsl modem and disabled
dhcp. It works fine but I'm a bit concerened the netgear doesn't
appear on the network (though devices attached do) and I can no longer
access the netgear web server pages from my PC, cause for worry or
should I just accept it works?

AJH
Old September 17th 08, 01:51 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Mike Smith

"Bernard Peek" wrote in message
In message ,
writes
I've 3 PCs at home, a fon point and now a voip device (linksys 3012 if
I ever figure out how it works, I could do with some advice on getting
the syslog onto a pc), all wired. I've connected a spare netgear
dg834pn wireless router to the origo router/adsl modem and disabled
dhcp. It works fine but I'm a bit concerened the netgear doesn't
appear on the network (though devices attached do) and I can no longer
access the netgear web server pages from my PC, cause for worry or
should I just accept it works?

If you are going to have two routers on the same subnet then you have to
deal with two issues. The first is that you can only have one DHCP server,
so the server in one of the routers must be disabled. The other is that
the routers themselves don't use DHCP so they have to be given compatible
IP addresses. That is one of them needs to be given a static address that
is on the same subnet as the other machines, but not in the range given
out by the DHCP server.

This should fix the problems you are having.

You can use a machine to bridge two networks, that PC needs one NICs in it
for each attached router. That way you can have multiple routers with DHCP.
This function is built into Windows XP (I only happen to know this as I
recently had to do it, haven't tried it with more than two routers or other
OSs yet).

Mike

Old September 18th 08, 11:17 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking

On Tue, 16 Sep 2008 18:29:15 +0100, Bernard Peek
wrote:

If you are going to have two routers on the same subnet then you have to
deal with two issues. The first is that you can only have one DHCP
server, so the server in one of the routers must be disabled.

Yes I have done this, the origo router is enabled and hands out
addresses in the range 10.0.0.4-10.0.0.15, its address is 10.0.0.2.
The netgear is dhcp disabled.

The other
is that the routers themselves don't use DHCP so they have to be given
compatible IP addresses. That is one of them needs to be given a static
address that is on the same subnet as the other machines, but not in the
range given out by the DHCP server.

Thanks, now I think the fon point is seen as a router and it's a bit
flaky, I have assigned it 10.0.0.3 and I will give the netgear
10.0.0.1.

I don't understand subnet masks, are they ORed or ANDed before a
request is sent out? As the windows box is set to automatic I assume
it has the same network mask.

Because the origo router seems a bit slow in handing out addresses I
see the Kubuntu box seems to default to 169.254.97.2 and a subnet mask
of 255.255.0.0 but the router sees it as 10.0.0.8 and it accesses the
wan ok, I have no file sharing between boxes at present.

Thanks

AJH