Virgin Media News Server Downtime

Old September 17th 08, 11:54 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris Dent

Default Virgin Media News Server Downtime

Have been reading the Horror Story posts on Google groups, but since 9am
this morning:

"Task 'news.virginmedia.com (NNTP) - Sending and Receiving' reported
error (0x80004005): 'The operation failed.'"

My experience since starting to use the news service for the first time
maybe a month ago is that this is the commonplace error. 10% uptime
must be if anything an exaggeration. What also annoys me is that the
status page always gives the news server a green light. In fact at
11:20 am on Wednesday I still have only four of 28 messages in this
thread retrieved.

FWIW until the so far disastrous service upgrade--and using news, for
me, a new service--I had been reasonably happy with VM's BB service.
For this primary reason we are giving them a chance to make amends
before definitely deciding to jump ship.
Chris

Old September 17th 08, 12:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
biggeordie

On Wed, 17 Sep 2008 11:54:17 +0100, "Chris Dent"
compiled the following:

[...]

Why are you not posting this into the VM Usenet support group so that
the TS can have a look at your problem.
I can access the news.vm server fine from here just now but Highwinds
seem to be having problems with this on a regular basis.

There is also the text.news.virginmedia.com server for text only that
works without any problems.
--
Geordie
Murphy's Sixth Law: If you perceive that there are four possible ways
Old September 17th 08, 12:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham.

"Chris Dent" wrote in message
news:[email protected] P...
[...]

I got dissatisfied with my ISPs Usenet service a long time ago.
There are several independent free ones I am using
news.motzarella.org which is fine most of the time.
I think they manually review each application so you
may need to wait a day or two for them to email you
your password. news.individual.net is excellent but there is
a small annual fee

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Old September 17th 08, 03:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Carl Waring

"biggeordie" wrote in message
news:[email protected] a.com...
I can access the news.vm server fine from here just now but Highwinds
seem to be having problems with this on a regular basis.

Just to add that I too don't have much of a problem accessing VM's News
Server. Yes, occasional glitches but nothing major.

--
Carl Waring
DigiGuide:

Old September 19th 08, 10:17 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris Dent

Carl Waring wrote:
"biggeordie" wrote in message
news:[email protected] a.com...
I can access the news.vm server fine from here just now but Highwinds
seem to be having problems with this on a regular basis.

Just to add that I too don't have much of a problem accessing VM's News
Server. Yes, occasional glitches but nothing major.

I did as biggeordie suggested and took it to virginmedia.support...

In fact using a different newsreader I have had no repetition of my
earlier persistent difficulty. So, although the problem is not yet
solved, it seems that virginmedia are probably not responsible for this
one afterall...

Sorry VM. Now, if I can say it, why can't you?