Creeping upgrades

Old September 17th 08, 07:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
TheOldFellow

Default Creeping upgrades

My router keeps reporting an increased line rate. Every few days the
rate is better.
I've had the line for 3 years, it's always synced at between 1200 and
1600 downstream with an Noise Margin of 6dB. I'm 6 K from the exchange
in a rural location. Last month it jumped to 2000ish and now I check
and it's 3072 with 6.6dB.
I have not yet started my rewire of the phone/net with cat5e (I keep
threatening to do it, but I never got a round tuit). So why is it
getting better? The line is not LLU'd and the exchange (LCBAS) is not
due to go to 21CN until late next year (says Sam).
A friend up the valley recently got broadband from BT after years of
being told they couldn't do it. He got a visit from an engineer who
told him his line was fine, after sorting a 'wiring anomaly' at the
exchange. Maybe they are checking all the other connections, all 450
of them!
R.

Old September 17th 08, 08:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ato_Zee

My router keeps reporting an increased line rate. Every few days the
rate is better.

If it has been running at low error rate then it will over a period
of time rate adapt to a higher sync speed.
If you were to regularly switch the modem off/on it might
well see the line as unstable and downspeed.
If you can get attenuation from the control panel (some
crap modems don't give you SNR and attenuation) then
if there was a bad connection, water in the street cable,
or your line has been rerouted then its attenuation and
speed would reflect this.
Old September 17th 08, 09:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

Ato_Zee wrote:
My router keeps reporting an increased line rate. Every few days the
rate is better.

If it has been running at low error rate then it will over a period
of time rate adapt to a higher sync speed.
If you were to regularly switch the modem off/on it might
well see the line as unstable and downspeed.
If you can get attenuation from the control panel (some
crap modems don't give you SNR and attenuation) then
if there was a bad connection, water in the street cable,
or your line has been rerouted then its attenuation and
speed would reflect this.

Weather conditions also. On any reasonable line length the cables act as
brilliant MW receivers. Conditions for good MW reception and bad ADSL
are typically after dark, with cool clear skies..so soggy wet days are
often better.
Old September 18th 08, 09:41 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
TheOldFellow

On Wed, 17 Sep 2008 18:07:17 GMT
"Ato_Zee" wrote:

My router keeps reporting an increased line rate. Every few days the
rate is better.

If it has been running at low error rate then it will over a period
of time rate adapt to a higher sync speed.
If you were to regularly switch the modem off/on it might
well see the line as unstable and downspeed.
If you can get attenuation from the control panel (some
crap modems don't give you SNR and attenuation) then
if there was a bad connection, water in the street cable,
or your line has been rerouted then its attenuation and
speed would reflect this.

This is what my BT Voyager 240 said this morning, and it's gone up
again!

Line Mode G.dmt Line State Show Time
Latency Type Interleave Line Up Time 00:00:31:03
Line Coding Trellis On Line Up Count 1

Statistics Downstream Upstream
Line Rate 3200 448
Noise Margin 5.8 dB 20.0 dB
Line Attenuation 44.5 dB 26.0 dB
Output Power 12.3 dBm 18.4 dBm
K (number of bytes in DMT frame) 101 15
R (number of check bytes in RS code word) 16 16
S (RS code word size in DMT frame) 2 8
D (interleaver depth) 16 4
Super Frames 110565 110563
Super Frame Errors 7 0
RS Words 3759222 939785
RS Correctable Errors 9462 0
RS Uncorrectable Errors 44 0
HEC Errors 5 0
OCD Errors 0 0
LCD Errors 0 0
ES Errors 0 0

Attenuation seems to be about the same as I've seen
before, but I don't keep records.

R.
Old September 18th 08, 09:45 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
TheOldFellow

On Wed, 17 Sep 2008 20:02:50 +0100
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Ato_Zee wrote:
My router keeps reporting an increased line rate. Every few days the
rate is better.

If it has been running at low error rate then it will over a period
of time rate adapt to a higher sync speed.
If you were to regularly switch the modem off/on it might
well see the line as unstable and downspeed.
If you can get attenuation from the control panel (some
crap modems don't give you SNR and attenuation) then
if there was a bad connection, water in the street cable,
or your line has been rerouted then its attenuation and
speed would reflect this.

Weather conditions also. On any reasonable line length the cables act as
brilliant MW receivers. Conditions for good MW reception and bad ADSL
are typically after dark, with cool clear skies..so soggy wet days are
often better.

and it has been soggy! So this might be a length of underground
cable that has water around it acting as an RF shield? Hm... I would
have expected to have seen the phenomenon before in that case - this is
Cumbria, it's often very wet. I usually switch off/on in the morning
about 8 AM, otherwise it just goes off when I put noise on with my
power tools

R.

Old September 18th 08, 08:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
TheOldFellow

On Wed, 17 Sep 2008 18:36:07 +0100
TheOldFellow wrote:

[...]

I got to the bottom of it. BT dug up the road and replaced some
cables. I guess I've been syncing faster and faster as the DSLAM and
my router discover this 'their way'.

R.