Are Tiscali blocking 'news.individual.net' in the evening?

Old September 18th 08, 11:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eric

Default Are Tiscali blocking 'news.individual.net' in the evening?

For several days now I am noticing that 'news.individual.net' is not working
between 6pm and 11pm on Tiscali. Is anyone else experiencing the same? Is
anyone else having trouble with 'news.individual.net' in the evenings, even
if you are not with Tiscali?

Thanks
Eric

Old September 18th 08, 11:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager

On Thu, 18 Sep 2008 22:50:35 UTC, "Eric"
wrote:

For several days now I am noticing that 'news.individual.net' is not working
between 6pm and 11pm on Tiscali. Is anyone else experiencing the same? Is
anyone else having trouble with 'news.individual.net' in the evenings, even
if you are not with Tiscali?

All working fine for me on AAISP.

--
Bob Eager
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:

Old September 19th 08, 12:17 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

On 19 Sep, 00:50, "Eric" wrote:

For several days now I am noticing that 'news.individual.net' is not working
between 6pm and 11pm on Tiscali. *Is anyone else experiencing the same? *Is
anyone else having trouble with 'news.individual.net' in the evenings, even
if you are not with Tiscali? Thanks Eric

Possibly giving a low priority to binaries
capable news servers at busy times?
(I'm guessing - but plusnet say that they
do something similar)
Old September 19th 08, 12:37 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jim Price

Eric wrote:
For several days now I am noticing that 'news.individual.net' is not working
between 6pm and 11pm on Tiscali. Is anyone else experiencing the same? Is
anyone else having trouble with 'news.individual.net' in the evenings, even
if you are not with Tiscali?

I'm with Pipex, but seem to have been moved to tiscali's infrastructure.
It's not just news.individual.net - I use (or try to) aioe.org and other
free news servers (not binary capable, any of them - that's why they can
afford to be free) and news access just grinds to a halt mid-evening.
The worst here seems to be between 8pm and 10:15.

--
JimP
Old September 19th 08, 12:42 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson

For several days now I am noticing that 'news.individual.net' is not working
between 6pm and 11pm on Tiscali. Is anyone else experiencing the same? Is
anyone else having trouble with 'news.individual.net' in the evenings, even
if you are not with Tiscali?

I had murder with Pipex (pre-Tiscali takeover) where a single message
from news.individual.net could take 3-5 minutes to arrive (only
talking 8-10 lines of plain text here), and headers for a "slow" group
like this could take 20 minutes - but was prone to disconnection,
leading to another 20 minute wait to try to get them again.

I was able to prove quite easily that it was their end at fault by
giving my account details to a mate on a different ISP and he was able
to access it instantly with no lag.

I logged it with their help desk, and they completely ignored it /
zero response - I left them a month later. (much happier on Sky!)
Old September 19th 08, 07:03 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Grumps

"Eric" wrote in message
For several days now I am noticing that 'news.individual.net' is not
working
between 6pm and 11pm on Tiscali. Is anyone else experiencing the same?
Is
anyone else having trouble with 'news.individual.net' in the evenings,
even
if you are not with Tiscali?

I'm with Nildram (also part of Tiscali) and I too noticed this. I asked this
question to their support and here is their answer,
"Nildram operates a traffic management policy at peak times that restricts
the use of non interactive services such as newsgroups. We would advise you
to schedule your downloads outside these hours so that you will not be
affected."

I then asked if it would be more sensible to remove text newsgroups from
this management policy and this is their reply,
"Personally I agree and I will pass the suggestion on to our internal team.
In all honesty they are quite secretive about how the traffic management
policy affects different applications so im not sure if/how the destination
is currently made between binary and text groups."

Only 5 days to go before my contract with them runs out.

Old September 19th 08, 08:05 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
WCZ

Eric wrote:
For several days now I am noticing that 'news.individual.net' is not
working between 6pm and 11pm on Tiscali. Is anyone else experiencing
the same? Is anyone else having trouble with 'news.individual.net'
in the evenings, even if you are not with Tiscali?

Thanks
Eric

Tiscali, Pipex, ..., block NNTP in the evenings or at the very best just
completely cripple it.

--

WCZ

Old September 19th 08, 08:35 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Charani

On Thu, 18 Sep 2008 16:17:31 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

Possibly giving a low priority to binaries
capable news servers at busy times?

NIN is text only.
Old September 19th 08, 08:40 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Charani

On Thu, 18 Sep 2008 23:50:35 +0100, Eric wrote:

For several days now I am noticing that 'news.individual.net' is not working
between 6pm and 11pm on Tiscali. Is anyone else experiencing the same? Is
anyone else having trouble with 'news.individual.net' in the evenings, even
if you are not with Tiscali?

No problems here but then I'm not with Tiscali or any of the other
ISPs they've taken over.
Old September 19th 08, 08:41 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham.

For several days now I am noticing that 'news.individual.net' is not
working
between 6pm and 11pm on Tiscali. Is anyone else experiencing the same?
Is
anyone else having trouble with 'news.individual.net' in the evenings,
even
if you are not with Tiscali?

I has this issue with them earlier this year, I got one of their web
forum "administrators" or what ever they call themselves to admit
that their traffic shaping was effectively blocking NNTP at busy times
Reading between the lines, they are not capable of differentiating
between a typical 2KB text post and a multi megabyte binary.
Someone told me that it might be more than simple 119 port blocking,

I did find an answer however but I don't want to post it as they might
see it as a loophole that needs to be filled
What I will say is this. Look at the Newsserver I am using and
when you sign up look for the SSL option.

If I have time tonight, I will try to find the admission I referred
to and post a link.
--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%