Testing lan networks - utility

Old September 20th 08, 02:09 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Will

Default Testing lan networks - utility

Can anyone remember the recommended tc/ip - udp testing software from this
group a year or two back?
Freebie software that ran under a dos box with one machine set to run as a
server and another as client.
Very useful, I used it to verify a home lan, inc. ethernt over mains,
throughput with realistic results.

I seem to have cleared it out and can't for the life of me remember what it
was called or where I downloaded it from.

Old September 20th 08, 03:14 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
LR

Will wrote:
Can anyone remember the recommended tc/ip - udp testing software from this
group a year or two back?
Freebie software that ran under a dos box with one machine set to run as a
server and another as client.
Very useful, I used it to verify a home lan, inc. ethernt over mains,
throughput with realistic results.

I seem to have cleared it out and can't for the life of me remember what it
was called or where I downloaded it from.

iperf?
http://sourceforge.net/projects/iperf

If you feel like a GUI you can also use jperf.
Old September 20th 08, 04:47 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
william

iperf?
http://sourceforge.net/projects/iperf

If you feel like a GUI you can also use jperf.

Yes that's the one, many thanks indeed.

Old September 20th 08, 05:47 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Mortimer

"william" 1 wrote in message
iperf?
http://sourceforge.net/projects/iperf

If you feel like a GUI you can also use jperf.

Yes that's the one, many thanks indeed.

This looks as if it could be a useful utility.

One thing: is the "jitter" graph supposed to have any points on it? When I
run it with my desktop PC as server and laptop as client, the jitter graph
on the server does not have any points/line on it, whereas the data rate
graph does.

It's very interesting to see how the data rate over wireless drops as I move
away from the router, even in situations where I still get a "very good" (4
out 5 bars) 54 Mb/sec connection: 2500 KB/sec drops to 500 KB/sec.

Old September 20th 08, 06:38 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
LR

Mortimer wrote:
"william" 1 wrote in message
iperf?
http://sourceforge.net/projects/iperf

If you feel like a GUI you can also use jperf.

Yes that's the one, many thanks indeed.

This looks as if it could be a useful utility.

One thing: is the "jitter" graph supposed to have any points on it? When I
run it with my desktop PC as server and laptop as client, the jitter graph
on the server does not have any points/line on it, whereas the data rate
graph does.

Do you not get something like this:

http://xjperf.googlecode.com/files/jperf-1.jpg

Old September 20th 08, 06:47 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Will

Do you not get something like this:

http://xjperf.googlecode.com/files/jperf-1.jpg

It's very interesting to see how the data rate over wireless drops as I
move away from the router, even in situations where I still get a "very
good" (4 out 5 bars) 54 Mb/sec connection: 2500 KB/sec drops to 500
KB/sec.

It was the dos (box) one I was after, I've not used the jperf. Is there a
gui for XP users? (if so where, the one I saw looked unix).

FWIW, I tried the iperf on the wireless first today, laptop static,
'excellent' signal (g), about 25' away outside, and it managed 14.3Mb/s
throughput consistently (all c.14Mb/s) - I just knew it wouldn't make 27Mb!!

A result anyway, I wanted to test my duplexer and it performed without any
measurable loss of speed at all (c.74), makes me want to think about
gigabit (if only).

Old September 20th 08, 06:51 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
LR

http://xjperf.googlecode.com/files/jperf2.0.0.zip
Old September 20th 08, 07:05 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Will

http://xjperf.googlecode.com/files/jperf2.0.0.zip

Ah, yes thanks. Try the pretty version now then.

Old September 20th 08, 10:19 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Mortimer

"LR" wrote in message
Mortimer wrote:
"william" 1 wrote in message
iperf?
http://sourceforge.net/projects/iperf

If you feel like a GUI you can also use jperf.
Yes that's the one, many thanks indeed.

This looks as if it could be a useful utility.

One thing: is the "jitter" graph supposed to have any points on it? When
I run it with my desktop PC as server and laptop as client, the jitter
graph on the server does not have any points/line on it, whereas the data
rate graph does.

Do you not get something like this:

http://xjperf.googlecode.com/files/jperf-1.jpg

No, I get

http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/9231/jperfkf0.jpg

on both an XP PC and a Vista PC as server, with another XP PC as client, and
also for XP as server and Vista as client or vise versa.

Old September 20th 08, 10:29 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Mortimer

"Mortimer" wrote in message
"LR" wrote in message
Mortimer wrote:
"william" 1 wrote in message
iperf?
http://sourceforge.net/projects/iperf

If you feel like a GUI you can also use jperf.
Yes that's the one, many thanks indeed.

This looks as if it could be a useful utility.

One thing: is the "jitter" graph supposed to have any points on it? When
I run it with my desktop PC as server and laptop as client, the jitter
graph on the server does not have any points/line on it, whereas the
data rate graph does.

Do you not get something like this:

http://xjperf.googlecode.com/files/jperf-1.jpg

No, I get

http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/9231/jperfkf0.jpg

on both an XP PC and a Vista PC as server, with another XP PC as client,
and also for XP as server and Vista as client or vice versa.

Ah - just spotted the difference between the image you refer to and my
image: if I configure both client and server to use UDP rather than TCP, I
get jitter figures in the results window and points on the jitter graph.