Improved the modem connection, but the download speed sucks.

Old September 20th 08, 07:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
TheOldFellow

Default Improved the modem connection, but the download speed sucks.

Well, in the end I bit the bullet and moved the router next to the
NTE5a with filtered faceplate. I ran a cat5e from the router 30 metres
to my system. Result: Modem now connects at 5056/448 instead of
3200/448 however the speedtesters (Thinkbroadband and speedtest.net)
reported rate has gone down from 1900 to 600!

The cable is good quality solid Cat5e (from TLC) and I have a proper
Krone tool, so I don't think the connections are the problem. Anyone
any ideas as to what to try?

And I was so happy when I saw the 5G

R.

Old September 20th 08, 08:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
TheOldFellow

On Sat, 20 Sep 2008 19:48:34 +0100
TheOldFellow wrote:

Well, in the end I bit the bullet and moved the router next to the
NTE5a with filtered faceplate. I ran a cat5e from the router 30 metres
to my system. Result: Modem now connects at 5056/448 instead of
3200/448 however the speedtesters (Thinkbroadband and speedtest.net)
reported rate has gone down from 1900 to 600!

The cable is good quality solid Cat5e (from TLC) and I have a proper
Krone tool, so I don't think the connections are the problem. Anyone
any ideas as to what to try?

And I was so happy when I saw the 5G

R.

and almost as I hit the send button, my modem resynced at 4800, and the
speedtesters are now saying 3800. So it must have been something in
the line. Phew!

3.8Meg is a good download speed considering the 6Km distance to LCBAS
exchange. I am now a very happy bunny. All that crawling though the
loft with cat5e between the teeth was worth it.

R.

Old September 20th 08, 08:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ato_Zee

and almost as I hit the send button, my modem resynced at 4800, and the
speedtesters are now saying 3800. So it must have been something in
the line. Phew!

It takes a little while for improvementin SNR to be reflected
in a higher sync speed.
You don't say what your modem/routers control panel
reports for attenuation and SNR.
If your default SNR is around 12dB then a few modems
can set the target SNR below the default, and line
then resyncs at a higher speed. If the line is a quiet
one then this higher speed will hold, if it
is noisy then the speed will drop to about the
same as it was with the default SNR.
Old September 21st 08, 12:56 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

Ato_Zee wrote:
and almost as I hit the send button, my modem resynced at 4800, and the
speedtesters are now saying 3800. So it must have been something in
the line. Phew!

It takes a little while for improvementin SNR to be reflected
in a higher sync speed.

No, it happens as soon as you retrain.
Old September 21st 08, 08:20 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns

Ato_Zee wrote:

It takes a little while for improvementin SNR to be reflected
in a higher sync speed.

No, it happens as soon as you retrain.

But it does take a while for the BRAS limit to increase after the ATM
rate increases.
Old September 21st 08, 10:47 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

Andy Burns wrote:

Ato_Zee wrote:

It takes a little while for improvementin SNR to be reflected
in a higher sync speed.

No, it happens as soon as you retrain.

But it does take a while for the BRAS limit to increase after the ATM
rate increases.

BRAS is not sync speed.

If someone is giving technical advice, they should be exact in what they
say to avoid confusion.
Old September 21st 08, 11:36 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns

Andy Burns wrote:

Ato_Zee wrote:

It takes a little while for improvementin SNR to be reflected
in a higher sync speed.

No, it happens as soon as you retrain.

But it does take a while for the BRAS limit to increase after the ATM
rate increases.

BRAS is not sync speed.

If someone is giving technical advice, they should be exact in what they
say to avoid confusion.

Does that extend to typing it carefully? :-P
Old September 21st 08, 12:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ato_Zee

It takes a little while for improvementin SNR to be reflected
in a higher sync speed.

No, it happens as soon as you retrain.

But that is at the default SNR, if you have improved the wiring
to reduce in house noise by connecting the modem/router
directlt to the NTE5, you may well still sync at the
same rate as before, it will take a period of running at the
lower noise figure before you see the benefit.
OTOH if you set a lower target SNR you may well sync at
a higher rate, and with your lower local noise this may
stay at the higher rate.
Old September 21st 08, 12:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

Andy Burns wrote:
Andy Burns wrote:

Ato_Zee wrote:

It takes a little while for improvementin SNR to be reflected
in a higher sync speed.

No, it happens as soon as you retrain.

But it does take a while for the BRAS limit to increase after the ATM
rate increases.

BRAS is not sync speed.

If someone is giving technical advice, they should be exact in what
they say to avoid confusion.

Does that extend to typing it carefully? :-P

Yup. And I hold my hand up to that one, too.
Old September 21st 08, 12:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

Ato_Zee wrote:
It takes a little while for improvementin SNR to be reflected
in a higher sync speed.
No, it happens as soon as you retrain.

But that is at the default SNR, if you have improved the wiring
to reduce in house noise by connecting the modem/router
directlt to the NTE5, you may well still sync at the
same rate as before, it will take a period of running at the
lower noise figure before you see the benefit.

No. Yu dnt nderstand, but I have to gou out now